SlotForum banner
241 - 258 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm delighted to have found this original Scalextric Porsche at Gaydon yesterday for just 10 quid. In original condition it just needs cleaning, and a fat pair of rear 'urethanes. View attachment 306412 View attachment 306413 View attachment 306414 View attachment 306415
I'm delighted to have found this original Scalextric Porsche at Gaydon yesterday for just 10 quid. In original condition it just needs cleaning, and a fat pair of rear 'urethanes. View attachment 306412 View attachment 306413 View attachment 306414 View attachment 306415
Nice score. Is that a crack in the rear section of the underpan (I'm not sure if it's a common problem, but I've seen several with a break there), or just a trick of the light?

The motor looks a lot cleaner than many of the Johnsons I see, some of which appear to have spent time at the bottom of a pond. They all seem to run, though, apart from the one I came across whose brush springs had corroded to nothing. I know "serious" people look down on Scalextric Johnsons, but I regard them as a bit of a design classic, in that they were near perfect for their intended purpose ie, the economical and reliable propulsion of mechanical toys. Their only weakness in that regard was the open can design allowing fluff ingestion. Even then, all that seems to happen is that said fluff winds itself into a sort of fibrous thrust washer/oil retention pad that doesn't affect performance much, and might even be of some benefit.

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Pat

Just had a good look at the 935's chassis and can't see any cracks. One 'hairline' that led me to suppose it is cracked is a small distortion in the plastic exacerbated by an overhead electric lightbulb. All well.
Automotive tire Circuit component Motor vehicle Automotive design Passive circuit component
Product Electronic instrument Material property Gas Electronic device

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Great find Trisha, it's complete and even has the ribbed tyres which aren't easy to find now. I always like the headlights on these with the 'chrome' bevel, they complete the look of the car.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Great find Trisha, it's complete and even has the ribbed tyres which aren't easy to find now. I always like the headlights on these with the 'chrome' bevel, they complete the look of the car.
If you want ribbed tyres, I've got stacks of fossilised ones you can have, that I've taken off restos. I didn't know they were in any way desirable.

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Ha! Just discovered that Wasp 'urethanes designed to fit Fly's 917s, 512Ss and wotnot, also fit the Scaleauto 935. They're a little loose, and might need glueing to the wheels, but I shall race it tonight and find out. View attachment 313085 View attachment 313086
I shall have to keep an eye out for that body shape at swapmeets in future. I've been to a few European/Historic Hill Climb Championship events this year and Jean-Marie Almeras, who won the title 40+ years ago with his 935, is back with his original car and doing pretty well for himself in the historic division.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

241 - 258 of 258 Posts