SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
No, very little extra expense.

As Nuro says, you can just solder home made booster cables to the track.

Use a good flux and a good hot iron.
Use a heat sink where you are soldering so as not to melt the plastic.
Take the soldered wires to just outside the track edge, then use a standard terminal strip, so you can connect and disconnect easily.
Put a sticky paper tag on each wire for identification.
When connecting, take GOOD care to trace each lane and Left/Right.
Especially if you have lane crossovers, these can cause mega confusion.
A basic multimeter helps a lot, but not essential.

Go for it and save your dollars for another car!

Cheers,
Isetta.

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
I got into the hobby about 4 years ago. I have slowly built up my layout with Scalextric Classic. I have recently expanded it with Sport for 2 reasons - first the Classic was getting hard to come by (No swap meets or car boot sales where I am); but the main reason was I had Classic lane changers (the figure X ones) to equalise the 2 big 180 deg curves at each end. These I did not like - they were too severe and wherever I put them, they either interrupted a fast straight, upset the car balance into a curve or spoiled the balance powering out of a curve. Then I saw the Sport Racing Curve lane changers...brilliant. Have bought more Sport, and really like it.

Back to power boosters, power taps or whatever. As Fragoso says, the Scalex cables are silly money for bits of wire. If you don't want to solder, then on your Sport sections you can make up cables by buying the correct size spade connector from Radio Shack or whatever, and crimp the ends on the wires using pliers.

Cheers, Isetta.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts