SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
do the soldering iron thing and save that money for another car
around here a booster cable cost us something like 15euros wich is outrageous for a couple of meters of wire.
The common rule is to use a power booster, also called taps, every 3 meters or roughly 10-15 connections. In my track (20mts) i used 8 power taps wich is bit overkill, but it works perfectly and it didnt cost me more than 2 hours work and bits of wire I had laying around. lets see: 8 power cables at 15 bucks would be enough to buy 3 or 4 cheap cars.

whatever you do, my opinion, i would keep my hands of SCX stuff. The only track pieces that they have as an exclusive, are not more than toys and their connections are really terrible.
and scalex, because of their digital aproach that relies on common track instead of special tracks like SCX, will keep pushing the common track pieces and not, like you said, "concentrate on digital". Both digital and non-digital scalex will use the same track pieces.
another thing: as you grow your track try to keep yourself with one type of track only. Ninco, carrera, classic and sport behave very diferently and you´ll notice that the cars wont allways have the same behaviour. for instance, silicones work very good on Ninco and SCX, but i rather use slot.it P2´s for carrera and sport.
Another minus is that as you add converters to assemble a track, the more number of connections you´ll get and more likely you´ll be having power failures.

·
Registered
38 Posts
to the track itself.
i mean: connect those to their respective lane on the power straight. just dont cross wires or mix lanes and you´ll be ok.

i´m currently redoing my own layout and adding more power taps (from 5 to 8). i´ll try to post some pics later this week and you´ll get it in a more graphical way (a guy with a nick like yours has to understand pictures
)

·
Registered
38 Posts
QUOTE Frogosso,
Is what do the wires leading from the track connect into, whats the power source?
The power straight itself will work as the power source.

QUOTE Just re-read your message. You mean connect the other end of the cables to the track just after the powerbase track?
So some of the power from the powerbase gets filtered off to the power tap?
Why does that mean you get enough power through out the track if your not increasing the transformers etc etc ?

You can connect those to the powerbase track or any other piece of track near to the powerbase. Every conductive material has some resistance (measured in ohms), so the farther away you are from the power source, the more resistance you integrate in the circuit and the less voltage you will get at the end of the line. With power taps, we are not increasing transformers, but we are diminuishing the probability of resistant materials along the circuit. Im no wiz at electronics, but the simple rule is: the longer the distance, the more resistance you have in the circuit. With power taps you are conducting power to diferent places in the track, without that power having to go all the way around the track and be "destroyed" by faulty or rusty track connections, with less total resistance. as such, we are not increasing power, we are just taking care that the power doesnt "die" along the circuit.

Anyway, get your power taps going ´cause there´s races to be held and a closed track is no fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts