SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi, make sure you put the Crown the right way around, otherwise the Crown gear does't position correctly in the cut outs made for it in the chassis and bodyshell.

Surly that seriously can't be the problem - can it?, simple mistake I guess if that is so.

I put this picture of the same car you have, it may help others with resolving your problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I put in the yellow gear like on the picture, it fits the body and chassis perfectly, but it makes no contact with the gear from the inline motor.
So I turned around the yellow gear, but then it does not fit the chassis.
Next I switched only the plastic part from the yellow gear around but then after 5 rounds on the circuit this comes loose from the metal bit because of the forces on it.
There is also other parts in the kit with which you can make a piece to fit on the axle to keep that plastic part in place (contrate gears?).
But then it does not fit the chassis or the body anymore.

So I just think Scalextric made a kit with the wrong ingredients.
Also the kit was incomplete.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi Nismo - if you look very carefully at the photo above of the yellow gear, you will see the teeth to be on the wrong side. The teeth should always be facing inwards.

View attachment 9899

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a related question on these 'pro' Scaley cars.

I've got the 'Impala' model and a chum has the Aston DB9. These are the two fastest cars we have.

I was going to buy this Lola model, to try and get the drop on me mate, but then I noticed the motor is 'fore & aft' unlike the Impala/ DB9 pro models.

I've had a few Scaleys with 'fore & aft' engines, and they've been distinctly second rate compared to the transverse motor cars.

Is this Lola model likely to be worse than the Impala/ DB9?

Or better!

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
The standard Lola is very fast and grippy because it is very low and wide and that is with an ordinary 18k motor. These kits come with 20k, 25k and 30k but I would think that fitting a can that is much above 20k will make the car way too fast.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Superglue it is.

I tried every position to put the gears on the axle and no way these gears are meant for this chassis and body.

I hope mine was a mistake on the assembly line. If not, I think Scalextric should do a recall.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
If you look at my photo ..... the gear has a grub screw on it and the part to the right of the blue part also has a grub screw; do you have this second part??

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUOTE (Nismo350Z @ 3 Apr 2012, 21:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If I put in the yellow gear like on the picture, it fits the body and chassis perfectly, but it makes no contact with the gear from the inline motor.

Maybe the gear on the motor shaft needs re-positioning along the motor shaft a little, these plastic pinions can be moved, just use a butter knife, screwdriver or if you must - your teeth and carefully slide/push the pinion until it lines up and meshes with the Crown gear nicely.

I think you maybe getting a bit muddled up here, please don't put any superglue on anything, at least not until you have a day or so to think about this, or if you can, take the car to a slotcar shop and they should gladly take a look for free and fix it for you before you ruin it completely.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
This reminds me a poor old Gallardo a few months back that I agreed to fix for fear of futher abuse ......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well. I read this thread and ordered the C3193 Lola.

I think I understand your problem.

Problem 1, assembling the thing:

You can fit the plastic 'driven' gear onto the metal axle hub (the bit with the grub screw) in two ways. It only fits if the bulk of the axle hub is in the centre of the car- but I think you must have figured this out.
You can fit the metal hub onto the axle in two ways- but only one works. I think you figured this out too!

Problem 2, keeping it running: Mine was amazingly fast for a few laps and then had a very high speed crash after which the motor could be heard whizzing round, but no drive to the wheels. The plastic 'driven' gear was slipping on the axle hub. Had to superglue the sucker on!

I built mine stock, but left out the interior, driver etc.

It's easily the fastest scaley car I've had yet. Unbeleivably grippy and very fast indeed (I used the medium drive gear and one of the smaller driven gears).

I find that if I dont keep taking it off and cleaning the rear tyres though, it starts to lose grip and keeps swopping ends etc.

I use my hanky and a bit of drool.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
The standard Gulf Lola has an 18k motor in it and that is plenty fast enough for me.......... what colour motor are you using for yours - the 20k, 25k or 30k one?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Greg K

The thing comes with three; yellow, orange and pale blue. As the yellow was fitted, I thought I'd try that first.

I think the yellow motor, although not the highest rated rpm wise, is a good compromise. I've fitted a few to other cars.

To use the higher revving motors might require shorter gearing? Ask someone more knowledgable than me if you want to be sure.

Anyway, on the yellow motor, it goes like a rocket. It's heaps faster than my other 'pro' car, which is a heavily magnetted Impala.

Now that I've realised that putting drool on the tyres is the real way to find 'sticktion', my view on mags may be altering.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.