SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
David H
3,724 Posts
Has anyone any reliable information or pre-production pictures to show which shape car Scalextric will be producing as its "Lotus Renault GP R31"?

Scalextric has announced both the 2011 and 2012 cars, but the real cars look very different; the 2012 Lotus E20 car has a stepped nose, the 2011 Renault R31 doesn't.

It annoys me a lot to have to pay a hefty £50 for the 2011 version in a fancy cardboard box, but it will annoy me even more if the regularly priced 2012 models are just repainted 2011 bodies. I won't buy a 2012 model if it's the wrong shape, but as I'd really like a correctly shaped and liveried 2011 version, I'm prepared to swallow hard and pre-order one. However, I don't trust Scalextric or its marketing hype enough to pre-order without first seeing proof that we're going to get what's advertised, hence my plea for information. Can anyone help?

From Scalextric's website:

C3269A Lotus-Renault GP R31 2011 Limited Edition
C3262 Lotus-F1 Team 2012 - Kimi Raikkonen No. 9
C3261 Lotus-F1 Team 2012 - Romain Grosjean No. 10

Each listing carries the dreaded "Real car pictured, Scalextric model may differ" warning, which is why I don't trust Scalextric.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree with you and suspect that we'll end up with a 2011 Renault in 2012 livery.

Let's hope the work a way around this and can produce a platform with two different noses I stepped one not so.

Will be ordering mine today (2011) as well

·
Registered
519 Posts
SCX makes (made ?) a lovely version of the 2011 car. My son got one and it can run circles around my Scaley Renault R25 and his Scaley M.Schumacher Mercedes.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Good question as one can never be sure. However, I have pre-ordered my Limited Edition as I believe it will be the 2011 shape.

The SCX 2011 version was the 2010 shape with the "sharks fin" aerodynamics so that is not accurate either. My plan is once I have the correct 2011 shape (Scalextric Ltd Edition), then I shall convert the SCX "2011" model into the Force India VML03 2010 car.

A few year ago some Scalextric F1 cars had "detachable" noses. This was used to great effect when they produced the "walrus" nosed Williams (FW26 2004) one year, changed the nose section and re-packaged as the FW27 (2005) the next. Surely they could do that again if they planned ahead? (And yes I did buy both versions of the Williams, as I would the Renault and Mercedes if they pulled the same trick this year.)

Any news on when the Limited Edition car will be released?

Cheers,

Philip

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
To look at it from a toy manufacturers perspective.

The F1 cars may well not have stepped noses again next year and they need to be able to make more than one years cars from the same tooling to make it cost effective..

I don't think we'll see any stepped nose slot cars unless the 1:1 cars still have stepped noses next year.

·
David H
3,724 Posts
QUOTE (strongbow @ 27 Jun 2012, 06:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Seems like they will all have the R31 shape, without the stepped nose:
http://www.scalextric.com/filelibrary/download/?FileID=428
Thanks Strongbow, that's exactly the information I was looking for.

QUOTE (steveaca @ 27 Jun 2012, 07:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>SCX makes (made ?) a lovely version of the 2011 car. My son got one and it can run circles around my Scaley Renault R25 and his Scaley M.Schumacher Mercedes.
I only have a couple of SCX F1s, both Minardis with steering from many years ago. I don't mind the steering, but the front wheels sit a couple of millimetres above the track which put me off buying any more SCX F1s. Do the current SCX versions sit with all four wheels touching the track? If they do, I'll buy the 2010 SCX Renault (the yellow DIAC version) and not bother at all with Scalextric until cheap ones appear on eBay in a few years time.

QUOTE (Philip P @ 27 Jun 2012, 09:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A few year ago some Scalextric F1 cars had "detachable" noses. This was used to great effect when they produced the "walrus" nosed Williams (FW26 2004) one year, changed the nose section and re-packaged as the FW27 (2005) the next. Surely they could do that again if they planned ahead? (And yes I did buy both versions of the Williams, as I would the Renault and Mercedes if they pulled the same trick this year.)
I bought both as well and, like you, would do so again if applied to the Renault/Lotus and Mercedes, but as a group we're probably too small for Scalextric to concern themselves with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts