SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tel
4,065 Posts
I heard someone say with some conviction, that new scaley cars come with silicone tyres OOTB, can anyone confirm or deny ?
Would be a massive backwards step if so IMO

·
Robb
581 Posts
No it's not true.
Give whoever said it a slap

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 12 Jul 2011, 15:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On top of that Scalextric silicones are only called that, they are not made from silicone!

Yeah, I thought Andy Norman clarified this before the 'Battle of the Manufacturers' but seems like many people are not getting this message across. I think the tyres are named 'silicone' just because they feel & look like silicone tyres but they are made of something else.

·
Tel
4,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol ... so what would a scalextric "silicone" tyre be made of ?

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (Savage @ 12 Jul 2011, 15:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lol ... so what would a scalextric "silicone" tyre be made of ?

Urethane most likely, feels a bit like silicone but can be sanded

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The Scalextric Race tyres look and feel like silicone, and are difficult to sand and drive like silicones - I suspect despite what Adrian says they are silicone.

·
Tel
4,065 Posts
Gah, they need to clarify what tyres on the newer cars, cos if its a urethane based tyre it aint gonna like being oiled

Just to clarify, I mean the tyres supplied on the newer cars, not their "silicone" sports range

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
3 things !

1. I hope folks are talking about Scalex 'Sport' silicone tyres being a step backwards, not silicone tyres in general. Slot It silicone tyres are excellent grippers, for example.

2. The 'Sport' tyres Scalex brought out about 5 years ago are useless slippery naffbunny tyres. They are pretty much the same as the greasy slippery silicone you get at B&Q to seal your bath with. Maybe they bought in a few tubes from their local store to make those awful aftersales spare tyres?

3. I so wish Scalextric would fit urethane tyres on their cars as standard and get rid of their gripless stock tyres. They'd sell so many more models.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
QUOTE (Screwneck @ 13 Jul 2011, 12:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I so wish Scalextric would fit urethane tyres on their cars as standard and get rid of their gripless stock tyres. They'd sell so many more models.

I am partial to tinkering in alchemy so I think that would be a retrograde step. Scaley cars with magnets run quite well on old knackered shiny tires so lack of grip is not something they have to worry about.

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
Plus take away the magnets and the tyres are slippery enough to use in their drift cars... Stick slot.it tyres on and they wouldn't spin 180 anymore

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
have i got this right the scaley aftermarket silicones eg nascar arn,t strictly speaking silicone tyres they can be sanded and are eligable for club racing that ban sillies. john.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts