SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
I'll come clean - I'm a Skoda nut. The Fisher Price look of the Fabia is actually proof positive of the accuracy to the 1:1 car...

The thing is that for me Skoda will always be the Felicia, ideally with Stig Blomqvist at the wheel. Those were indeed the days, my friends... though if the FIA gets its way the Fabia could well be a major force once again!!!

Ah yessss... the sight of my little green machines being steered on the throttle and passing 2-litre Kit Cars and full WRC cars was one of life's sweetest moments...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Scott @ 9 Oct 2004, 23:18)Oh dear - Fisher Price doing slot cars now, are they.

"Oh, the possibilities!"

IMHO that Skoda looks great in a chunky kind of way.

Mark.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Okay, I being crule, but I think I am not alone when I say that for me WRC slot cars mean only one brand - SCX.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm not knocking the subject matter...

However, it does look like the proportions of the car have been Scalextric'd.
ie tall and narrow as against wide 'n' low of the prototype.

The best (worst?) example of this being the Porsche GT3... real car = w-i-d-e 'n' low - Scalex version = narrow 'n' tall.

-Rob

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
from the pics - scalex looks right to me. I think they just don't accord to the philosophy that 'scale cars should be made flatter and wider to LOOK more acurate' and instead just use the CAD plans as bought from the manufacturers. I prefer the scalex interpretation, to me they look right.

·
Registered
752 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 10 Oct 2004, 14:58)from the pics - scalex looks right to me. I think they just don't accord to the philosophy that 'scale cars should be made flatter and wider to LOOK more acurate' and instead just use the CAD plans as bought from the manufacturers. I prefer the scalex interpretation, to me they look right.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Each to their own

Wouldn't life be boring if we all agreed?

-Rob

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE Wouldn't life be boring if we all agreed?

Very true!
BUT, it would probably save some disagreement if all cameras and all their lenses produced the same kind of perspective, without any distortion, at any distance from the subject, at any focal length . . .

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Do not Scalextric cars normally scale pretty these days well when compared to their 1:1 counterparts?

When they are slightly out it is probably due to the compromises that have to be made to fit running gear and full interiors and lights.

And did you know that Hornby are the only slot car company today that produce unique wheels and tyres for each model!

Every other company recycles tyres and wheels from one new model to the next if they can get away with it.

As far as the Skoda goes its going to be 4WD of course and I am surprised that nobody has mentioned yet. I am also wondering if we might be getting Vanwall and Maserati type performance from future Hornby rally cars?

Moped

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Mope you have completely missed the point in comparing a Rally car performance to the Vanwall and Maser. These Scaley rally cars have to cut it in a grid that includes other manufacturers.Whilst an all Scaley line up may work,there is going to have to be big improvement in terms of performance without a mag fitted and racing a Ninco or SCX rally type.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The Caterham and Lotus 7s are among the most popular of racers at my club and the more varieties the better! It's really good to have the opportunity of one class races where there is a good chance that the livery will not be repeated.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
QUOTE However, it does look like the proportions of the car have been Scalextric'd.
ie tall and narrow as against wide 'n' low of the prototype.

I think there is a point to where wide and low can have the opposite desired effect. For instance the Fly Daytona & GT40, a certain trade off is required.

Scalextric to my eyes do have a tendency to make the models appear tall, narrow with a long wheelbase, again it's down to each individual's perception of what looks right.

Jamie

·
Registered
571 Posts
I collect WRC cars and run them at home without magnets. I had a fleet of SCX and Scalextric cars but I have recently hit upon the idea of running each 2004 WRC car from a different manufacturer.

Citroen Xsara-SCX
Subaru Impreza - Ninco
Ford Focus- AutoArt
Peugeot 307 - Carrera
Skoda Fabia - Scalextric

Obviously I am still waiting for the Peugeot and Skoda but I have found that if you spend the time tuning you can get most cars from all the different manufacturers to run in roughly the same kind of "zone". (AutoArt takes the most work but I have an AA Impreza thats runs without magnets faster than any of my SCX cars.)

By the way I think the new Skoda looks GREAT

JS

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
The obvious answer to any doubts about a model's accuracy is to measure it, and compare with the original. However, no amount of measuring is going to convince a person that has already prejudged the outcome.
Alfetta

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hmmm ill have one of those VW's for the cabinet, sorry i mean Skoda

Caterham looks excellent in those colours, whats different to the last run though??? (excuse me for being dumb, its monday, Im at work and Im full of a cold too)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts