SlotForum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am considering converting my current analog Sport track to digital but still be able to switch back and forth to analog. Currently I am running a TrakMate Power Supply 0-30 volts, 10 amps. Since my track is wired directly rather than using the Scalextric power base I would think that I should be able to turn off the power to the track and still leave the power taps in place and run digital.

Question 1: Will the digital power base be effected if turned off and the track is running analog? (with the voltage running through the track from analog somehow hurt the digital power base even if is turned off)

Question 2: Since the digital Transformer is DC 12V 2.5A would it be possible to use my TrakMate Power Supply and just turn the volatage down to 12V? I thought that amps wouldn't matter since the TrakMate is 10A and only the amps that are needed would be drawn? If this can be done, wouldn't I be able to split the power from the TrakMate Power Supply and plug it into each of the Digital Power base transformer inputs thus allowing me to run 6 digital cars?

Question 3: Why would someone buy the Sport Digital Conversion kit for $199 which only includes one crossover when you can but the complete Sport Digital set for $249 with 2 crossovers and pick up extra track that could be used or sold on Ebay? Am I missing something here?

Thanks for anyone that can provide some insight!

regards,
Michael

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Michael,

I cannot answer all your questions but can give you this info concerning point 1:
I also had a Scalex Sport analog track wired directly not using the Power base which i convertet to a digital track some days ago. It is true you can let the analog power supply (turned off of course) when running digital. But when running analog you have to take out the digital power base and even more important you have to take out all lane change curves (because they do connecting the power from both lane) !!!

Greetings from Switzerland
Zubi

·
Registered
278 Posts
Zubi is quite correct on both points.

On the point of analogue and digital power supply:
The Sport Digital power supply does not supply 12v 2.5A in the normal fashion but rather as a potential. The rails are continually supplied with power via a pwm (pulse width modulation) signal. If you place an analogue car on the Digital circuit the car will 'buzz' - the motor doesn't know whether to stop or start. This is very similar to attaching 12v AC to a standard circuit whereby the car motor armature vibrates in both directions (this is why you need DC to make it turn in one direction only).
Back to Digital: signals from the Digital powerbase for a car (say car ID 1) are streamed down the track rails as packets of information (like the Internet) and picked up by the onboard chip on the car and decoded. Packets of information for car ID 1 are used and non ID 1 packets ignore. The potential power supply also present in the rails is then used to power the motor on car ID 1 as instructed by the decoded information. This is also how the lane changers are managed.

Word of Warning: Do not mix Analogue and Digital systems as expensive damage may be incurred!

Happy Racing,
Adrian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts