Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Scalextric to Unveil Sport Digital System at London Toy Fair 2004

We thought that it might arrive sometime soon...

- Six cars to race on a single Scalextric lane
- New digital hand throttles
- Sport Digital power control unit
- Button-braking function
- 9 different modes of racing to choose from
- Compatible with existing Scalextric Sport track

The Sport Digital Race Ready Set
- Set containing: Track, Digital Control unit, 2 Digital cars & 2 enhanced digital hand throttles and one lane change track piece.

Sport Digital Pro (for existing layouts)
- Contains: Command Unit, Connector Track, 2 hand throttles, Software CD ROM, Power unit, 2 Changeover tracks.

Click here for the Scalextric Press Release

You heard it first on SlotForum! We will have all the info on this system as it becomes available.

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
About time they made this announcement and it looks like they have looked at the other products releasing and not made the same mistakes.

Backward compatability (although only to cars 2 yrs or younger) and track compatable
The one thing that worries me are the controllers which from the statement sound like electronic controllers but will it make my current one defunct?

I'l be getting my mits on this - my Christmas 2004 list has already begun

Matt

·
Registered
186 Posts
only six cars? that's a bit poor. But at least they're going the "easy upgrade" route. downside is, of course, the "following lane-changing car ahead" problem that comes when the actuator's on the track, not the car.

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Sorry Matt, your controller is a goner

Rich, six cars ARE the limit on a 2 lane track - the factor being shunts
The lane change mechanism should be quick enough - matter of fact it greatly depends on its geometry/location, and I'm betting on a solution that was aired here, if I'm not wrong
Did you notice that the Base Pack comes with only ONE LC ?

BTW, I posted the link on Slotadictos (of course crediting Slotforum) : it's causing a frenzy, with desperate people rushing to return their unopened SCX Digital sets (luckily for them, kids in Spain get presents on the 6th)

Well, that's fine and dandy, but what do I do for my project's electronics package - wait 10 more months or buy SCX at a discount ?

Beppe

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Oh, looks like we owe the two-wheeled one an apology, didn't he say they had something big to announce? If only he didn't spout nonsense so often I could take some of his declarations more seriously.

Backwards compatible, kinda. That's going to win them sales and no mistake.

Hmmm, so the set only has one lane changing piece? Sounds like a recipe for some carnage.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE BTW, I posted the link on Slotadictos (of course crediting Slotforum) : it's causing a frenzy, with desperate people rushing to return their unopened SCX Digital sets (luckily for them, kids in Spain get presents on the 6th)

You are not serious are you Xlot?

Moped

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Mope, actually it's already ONE guy !
BTW : 115 hits in one hour there - and Nuro, congratulations for this scoop, I suggest you start expanding your server

I've also posted on the Italian site, but the moderator seems to be on vacation - I can't wait until my obdurate compatriots wake up to the fact that the end of civilization, as they know it, is near

Now, getting back to business :
- what is Scalextric's lane spacing (I'm afraid that's the only drawback)
- are there transition pieces to Ninco (maybe by SCX)?

Beppe

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
There are Ninco to Scalextric Sport adaptors available, we use them at my club to link the Ninco track to RMS. Not sure where they came from though.

Coop

·
Registered
773 Posts
Beppe, to connect Scalextric to SCX you need the Sport to Classic-adapter - and teh Ninco-adapter is the counterpiece to adapt it to Ninco. Lana-spacing MIGHT be a downside for this system - but it will fit in smaller spaces - and that's an upside

I'll wait till I've seen and tested the Scalextric-system. Carrera and SCX are more or less compareable from their feautures - and if Scalextric is not wors it will be a benefit for the new system if it handles up to 6 cars per lane.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Smart move. I believe that digital slot racing is the future. Beppe (Xlot) and his Sicilian friends have told me to believe this. Actually, I think that they are right.

In this day and age, no company would invest to the extent that SCX, Carerra and now Hornby has, in a new system without doing their homework.

I'll buy it.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would say that groove depth is the key here. Do Ninco make an adaptor to SPORT track?

SCX and Classic track may not have a groove thats deep enough but there are adaptors.

Scalextric do say in their announcement that current cars are compatible but do guide blades need to be modified?

If not then fantastic. Everybody except for Carrera track owners should be able to join in the Digital fun!

However, remember that there is an element of circuit design in the Scalextric software so the NINCO track footprint may not be compatible. However, I am sure NINCO owners will have a work around for this.

And there will be some Carrera track owners who may well make up adaptors for SPORT track. There will certainly be a large market for these if Carrera track owners are unwilling to change to SPORT.

The other issue of course is the changing downforce on cars as they cross from one track type to another if track is mixed. This may not of course be an issue but something to think about none the less. Ultimately you cannot go wrong of course with SPORT track! That is the solution!

In fact this set up from Scalextric sounds like the video recorder equivalent of VHS!

Well done Scalextric!

Moped

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi,
Yes, at last some of the news is out!
The official release will take place at the London Toy Fair, so I can't reveal everything aout the product.
I can answer a few early questions though:

Controllers: No, resistor pad type controllers won't work satisfactorily on this system. The new controllers have two 'action' buttons. One controls the lane changing and one the brakes. There are three different braking modes.

Lane Changing: You'll find that it's almost impossible to send a car in to the wrong lane, the actuating mechanics/electronics is instant and only acts with the target car.

Car compatibility: In theory, any slot car can be adapted to be used as a 'digital' car - even 1960s cars! The limiting factor is space inside the chassis and the enthusiasts skills with a few basic tools. New cars will now have their chassis' designed to make conversion a fairly easy plug-n-go affair.

Ask as may questions as you like. I'll do my best to answer them all.

Happy Racing or Collecting,
Adrian Norman
Scalextric Enthusiasts Web Community
Hornby PLC

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Thanks for stopping by Adrian

For poor people like me, who've spent all their income on a 4-lane Sport setup...

- Will there be the ability to crossover between 4 lanes?
- Could one have a track with 4 lanes down the staight and perhaps 2 lanes on some curves?
- Is it 6 cars per 2-lane track or 6 overall?

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Adrian
you looking for testers - if so I'll happily nominate myself!

Q1) Is the system able to integrate with any track that can connect to Scaly Sport?
Q2) Will the chips be available on general release at same time as the main product release?
Q3) How much will the chips weigh?
Q4) What will the cross-over track design be?
Q5) Will the system only work with new digital scaly hand controllers?
Q6) What functionality over and above RMS will the PC link allow?

many more q's but don't want to hog thread.

Matt

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Adrian,
that's too little too late - no more wine & fast women for you, the cat's out of the bag

Russell, what did you infer about my "Sicilian friends" ? Matter of fact, I was born not far from Corleone

Beppe

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
but won't anybody tell me what Scalextric's actual lane spacing is ?
Don't be shy, inches, cubits, fathoms or any other archaic unit will do
(OK, I'm euphoric)

Beppe

·
Registered
278 Posts
OK, I can answer some of these:

Q1) Is the system able to integrate with any track that can connect to Scaly Sport?
In theory, Yes.

Q2) Will the chips be available on general release at same time as the main product release?

Q3) How much will the chips weigh?
No more than the weight of a penny.

Q4) What will the cross-over track design be?
You'll have to wait until Toy Fair presentation!

Q5) Will the system only work with new digital scaly hand controllers?
Yes.

Q6) What functionality over and above RMS will the PC link allow?
You'll have to wait until Toy Fair presentation!

Other points:
- Six cars can run on one lane.
- A track piece to change from lanes 1 & 2 over to lanes 3 & 4 has not been designed as yet. How big a demand will there be? Please let me know.
- Chicanes: Hmmm! Need your feedback again. The change-lane system actually creates a kind of chicane quite naturally. Would a purpose made (traditional style) chicane still be required. Your views, please!

Happy Racing or Collecting,
Adrian Norman
Scalextric Enthusiasts Web Community
Hornby PLC

·
Registered
238 Posts
Having seen the video of SCX system, congrats to Scaley for making it backwards compatible

One small question on this though (slap me if i'm being dumb)....presumably you can just "turn-off" or unplug the digital control hub and use the track in traditional mode?????

Also, will there be any mode for a single lonley racer to race the computer controlling all the other cars...or is this top secret?

(btw....when can we pre-order
)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Damn, what an exciting topic. Really cam't leave here for long, too much happens.

The whole concept sounds good, especially for the home racer who doesn't have alot of room and is sick of two car, two lane racing.

Most of the tech questions have been asked but here's a real simple one.

How many volts/amps is the power supply? It's gonna have to be substantial.....

1 - 20 of 141 Posts