SlotForum banner

Scalextric Sport Digital

17267 Views 140 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  Tropi
Scalextric to Unveil Sport Digital System at London Toy Fair 2004

We thought that it might arrive sometime soon...

- Six cars to race on a single Scalextric lane
- New digital hand throttles
- Sport Digital power control unit
- Button-braking function
- 9 different modes of racing to choose from
- Compatible with existing Scalextric Sport track

The Sport Digital Race Ready Set
- Set containing: Track, Digital Control unit, 2 Digital cars & 2 enhanced digital hand throttles and one lane change track piece.

Sport Digital Pro (for existing layouts)
- Contains: Command Unit, Connector Track, 2 hand throttles, Software CD ROM, Power unit, 2 Changeover tracks.

Click here for the Scalextric Press Release

You heard it first on SlotForum! We will have all the info on this system as it becomes available.
See less See more
1 - 3 of 141 Posts
Hi,
Yes, at last some of the news is out!
The official release will take place at the London Toy Fair, so I can't reveal everything aout the product.
I can answer a few early questions though:

Controllers: No, resistor pad type controllers won't work satisfactorily on this system. The new controllers have two 'action' buttons. One controls the lane changing and one the brakes. There are three different braking modes.

Lane Changing: You'll find that it's almost impossible to send a car in to the wrong lane, the actuating mechanics/electronics is instant and only acts with the target car.

Car compatibility: In theory, any slot car can be adapted to be used as a 'digital' car - even 1960s cars! The limiting factor is space inside the chassis and the enthusiasts skills with a few basic tools. New cars will now have their chassis' designed to make conversion a fairly easy plug-n-go affair.

Ask as may questions as you like. I'll do my best to answer them all.

Happy Racing or Collecting,
Adrian Norman
Scalextric Enthusiasts Web Community
Hornby PLC
See less See more
OK, I can answer some of these:

Q1) Is the system able to integrate with any track that can connect to Scaly Sport?
In theory, Yes.

Q2) Will the chips be available on general release at same time as the main product release?

Q3) How much will the chips weigh?
No more than the weight of a penny.

Q4) What will the cross-over track design be?
You'll have to wait until Toy Fair presentation!

Q5) Will the system only work with new digital scaly hand controllers?
Yes.

Q6) What functionality over and above RMS will the PC link allow?
You'll have to wait until Toy Fair presentation!

Other points:
- Six cars can run on one lane.
- A track piece to change from lanes 1 & 2 over to lanes 3 & 4 has not been designed as yet. How big a demand will there be? Please let me know.
- Chicanes: Hmmm! Need your feedback again. The change-lane system actually creates a kind of chicane quite naturally. Would a purpose made (traditional style) chicane still be required. Your views, please!

Happy Racing or Collecting,
Adrian Norman
Scalextric Enthusiasts Web Community
Hornby PLC
See less See more
1 - 3 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.