SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Sport Digital Product renditions are now available:

They give me the impression that they are artist's renditions and not the actual boxes. Previews of the things to come. The shadow is a givaway and the boxes are too neat, but this is basically what you will see hopefully for this Christmas. Wouldn't it be great if is was released before then.

Photos courtesy of Slot Car Illustrated. Thanks guys for letting us share the info

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
A very nice set of pics and yes, our thanks to SCI for sharing.

I am still really curious about the apparent incusion of only one pair of 'points', ie a single crossover. When both cars end up on the inside track, how are either of them to get back off it again?
It seems crazy - perhaps I am missing something . . .

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Mop
You may well be right but I could almost swear to having read somewhere that the set would in fact only have one pair of points, making a single cross -over. This was quite a while ago and I don't think I will be able to find it again. I might be mistaken or maybe that article was mistaken - I certainly hope so!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
If they actually produce sets with only one intended lane change point (per change direction), I will be very disappointed. People like Beppe, Yves, blst, and even myself have shown that LC's can be done with relative ease by home scratchbuilders. If sets don't come with multiple LCs, then where is "the realism" upon which this entire concept is supposedly based? In 1:1 reality, a driver can change lane ANYwhere - I don't expect THAT but I DO expect more than one, or even two!, places per lap where I can change lane! Or am I going to have to buy several add-on packages to achieve this.... and will several of them work on the same layout?

The LC implementation, particularly in sets, may well be what determines the ultimate success or failure of digital in the home market, and thus overall!

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
QUOTE The LC implementation, particularly in sets, may well be what determines the ultimate success or failure of digital in the home market, and thus overall!

Amen to that, Fergy !

Tropi, I recall that the track set will come with one LC plus a conventional curve crossover, while the conversion kit will have two LCs - or maybe it's the other way around

As for the optimum number of LCs, we are still speculating - unless you adopt the blst system, I believe that you actually cannot have too many - i.e. you need a certain distance (and number of turns) between LCs, otherwise the guy in front will "cover" your attempt to pass

Matter of fact, there was a quite meaningful thread on Digital Track Design a couple of months ago, which might well be worth resuscitating (yes, it's the one where I unwittingly caused a blowout from the initiator, still wondering why...)

Ciao
Beppe

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE Tropi, I recall that the track set will come with one LC plus a conventional curve crossover, while the conversion kit will have two LCs - or maybe it's the other way around

That is the digital multi car in one lane thinking for you. I'll have to get my digital brain into gear. Nice one Bepe.

That also means of course that all control for all cars can be wired into one lane. I doubt that it will be though in case folk want to run digital without any lane changing. The pictures above probably create more questions than answers!

I note also that Scalextric have opted for a bridge rather than a crossroads with the digital set. This is going against the trend set by the new "X-Set" layouts. It could well be that they have selected the optimum circuit to maximise fun from digital and if there is only one switching point then surely that will offer more racing action and less chance of lane change shunting which can only be a good thing judging by feedback here to date.

Moped

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Beppe, your memory is better than mine - come to think of it, most people's memories are better than mine(!) - and your recollection is exactly right. So a conventional curved crossover is hiding round the bend.

If you can remind me about the blowout too (?) maybe we can do a resuscitation.

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
This is the thread I was referring to :

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1665

Now, what about an exercise in the convolute thinking required when planning a digital track layout ?
Take the track set in the picture above : it's not clear whether there's a second (outside-to-inside) LC or a crossover in the back curve

Assume it's an LC - and you have car A in front on the outside, with car B following on the same lane and wanting to pass
If car A doesn't change lane, car B will - and then have a full lap to pass. But if car A changes lane, car B only has half a lap available before car A changes again and blocks it >> this will be the preferred maneuver
On such a short track, half a lap is hardly sufficient to make up the initial lag plus pulling ahead, particularly in the absence of anti-collision protection on the LC (such as David and myself are foreseeing)

On the other hand, if the second LC is replaced by a crossover, car B has two laps available if car A doesn't change, and one lap if it does. I would imagine this is the solution offered with the set, even if a crossover is normally considered a nuisance

Simple, isn't it ?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Scalextric have very definitely been listening to feedback to date in connection with digital as the sets and upgrade packs very sensibly contain cars that do not have any spoilers and that look pretty bullet proof.

This will allow folk to get used to digital type racing, control and strategies and gain some skills with this new technology without necesarily wrecking the cars and before moving on to retro fitting chips to the cars owned with higher levels of detail.

This is a very sensible approach.

I am actually getting very excited by all this as we are clearly getting closer to the launch date now that pretty pictures have been released.

The fact that 3 or 4 people can race at the same time at home on 2 lane circuits should give slot car racing in the UK more of an appeal to groups of people than ever.

Moped

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Hi,

There is a opposite crossover in the complet set : from outside to inside

I'm happy to see that Scalextric want to sell the different parts separately. It's a good thing to addapt only car power control set and cars on another system, xlot or blst.

I'm not sure, but the price is missing

regards

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There does appear to be something in that corner. Is it my computer (or eyesight?)or are images getting fuzier these days?

Even the images at SCI seem blockier than ever. That Vette at the top of the SCI forum for instance.

I think somebody here should contact NASA and ask them to put the image of that bit of track through their $1,000,000,000 Martian space probe image enhancer. The pictures that we get of Mars from 150,000,000 KM away seem much clearer than those taken from a few feet away by the white coats in the Scalextric lab.

Until I see a higher quality image I certainly would not bet my house on what section of track is in that corner. Would anybody here be prepared to offer odds?

The options are:-

1) standard radius 2 curve
2) crossover curve
3) curved lane switcher track

Scalextric staff are not permitted to place any bets by the way!

Another clue of course is that there has to be a switching sensor half stright track ahead of the switching curve so if somebody could work out if there is actually a half straight ahead of the far curve then the odds on a switching section would increase.

Now even more strange is that ahead of the switching curve on this near side there appears to be two full straights and no half starights. If that is the case where is the half straight sensor track?

Very interesting.

Moped

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Gee, folks. I hate to be the one to break it to ya' but these are just mock-ups of the packaging.

If you all get so excited about a few rough artist's impressions then Lord knows what this forum is going to be like when the product actually gets launched.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts