SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,158 Posts
will a digital set be 'harder' to race than a standard set? Don't frget that a standard set usually comes with 2 crossovers and a chicane. A lot of us have removed these sections from our sets, but a lot of others and especially some-one new to the hobby with their first set will use them.

So an LC may cause less deslots than a standard bash and crash set, because unlike those other sections, you now have the option NOT to cross lanes!

· Registered
5,158 Posts
QUOTE It seems to me it'll be more like dodge'ems at the fair than racing
- having seen some british touring car racing, australian V8 and nascar recently, dodge-ems at the fair is very similar to a lot of real racing!

there is a button on controller for lane changing

SCX system - the guide moves, all the others , a 'points' on track moves, and only the one where the car is (not all of them at the same time)

it is a confusing issue with conflicting reports whether changeovers (LCs) will be available at turns AND on straights for the varios systems, but chances are both will be available in time for any systems which are succesful.

There is some conjecture on the issue of having to slow down on the LC affecting overtaking.

As said earlier, an LC allows you to AVOID a crash which a normal crossover or chicane would cause (because you can choose to NOT change lane).

I have had a brief go on SCX digital, and it seems to correspond to other reports which I would sum up as saying 'digital with lane changing is FUN!' And for the more serious racers, DAVIC seems to result in serious racing. Whether the comercial systems allow what is in your opinion 'serious' racing is yet to be seen...

· Registered
5,158 Posts
hi Xlot - blst's system is fantastic, and whilst it uses collision avoidance, it is very different from a normal digital system with collission avoidance (which I also still dont like the idea of, i would rather the collission be sensed and the offender docked ten points for uncivilised driving)

· Registered
5,158 Posts
i agree with moped, changing a chip in a recentish scalextric car will be a doddle. They have changed over to using clip spade connectors rather than soldering, and i believe the sensor clips into what has been though of up to now as the button magnet socket (which already has a hole for the sensor) just behind the guide. It will take moments to chenge the chip from one scaly car to another, and if you have prepped other cars with suitable spade connectors, it should be just as quick to get it into another make of car in a race day emergency!

· Registered
5,158 Posts
Lots of standard analogue slot car sets get bought at christmas times a first time purchase, most I understand, by a large margin.

Many get stored away forever (or thrown out or sold on to people already hooked), almost immediately, or after 2 or 3 more cars have been purchased. If this wasnt the case, then almost every home would already have a scalextric set by now!

I think the question is - will digital add more play value to newbie slot kids/adults? Will it mean a bigger percentage of people who try it, decide to keep it and play with it more?

The question of car compatibility did not enter my head when I bought my first set last year; I was planning just to have the great scalextric gt40 models and some track, full stop. If it had occurred to me how many more cars I would be compelled to buy over the following months and how much it would cost, I am pretty sure I would have just walked away in the first place!!! (glad i didn't, but i wouldn't have understood at that time
)

Whether those of us who are home racers and those of us who are club racers want digital is another question entirely....

· Registered
5,158 Posts
QUOTE And think, how many folks have a PC in their front room, often the biggest room in the house and where the Christmas set up is likely to be?

The world system is designed as an interchangeable pod with, as I believe digital pro will be. The idea of this design is that not everyone has a PC in their living room/scalextric room. You can up and download data, telemetry etc via usb (i think) in the computer room, then race in the scalextric room.

· Registered
5,158 Posts
I think people realise you need a lot of track, and thats why the big sets shift (if they are indeed the biggest sellers - empty shelves could mean Toys-r-us carried less stock).

If the layout is smaller and the cost is more for a digital, it won't necessarily sell... time will tell

· Registered
5,158 Posts
I have no problem with the appearance or shape of the controller, and am not of the school that every controller should look like a 1950s toy ray gun, as parma or prof motor! (Its a nice look, but not all controllers have to look like it!)

The versions at the toy fair were made of a very light and brittle feeling plastic, which to me was more of a problem. As long as they feel solid enough, and are robust, I think they will be great.

Reverse-engineering the controllers should be simple, I expect they will either use a cheap variable resistor (not needing to handle the power of analogue controllers), or else computer mouse technology.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.