SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I'm a total rookie.

I'm just getting into the hobby and have a small stable of Scalextric cars. I've begun some basic tuning and decided today that I would pick up some different sized gears to play around with. So I bought a set of Scaley pinions and the related spur gears only to find out that they do not fit the stock axles. It appears that in order to use the Sport+ gears you need to upgrade to a 3mm axle, new bushings and those hideous aluminum wheels. Is that correct?

Are there any gear set options out there that would maintain the wheels, tires, and axles that I already have? What am I missing?

·
Registered
449 Posts
G'day dahm1966,
Welcome to the forum. Your best bet would be to use Slot.it parts if you want to upgrade your cars. If it hadn't been for the forum I myself would have purchased these parts to upgrade the cars but really they are of no use as you have to upgrade the axle,gears,wheels and bearings etc to get what you want and even then you can't mix and match the gears as they don't all mesh correctly. I think scaley only make the 4 types of aluminium wheels to use with the 3mm axles so as far as wanting more of a range thats it. You can use the wheels and tyres that you already have but because the scalextric axles have the knurled ends where the axle fits to the hub you may damage the new gears getting them over these parts, best to replace the axle/spur gear and pinion with slot.it parts and while your at it the bearings as the scalextric ones are slightly larger to allow for the knurled axle. I'm no expert when it comes to upgrading cars and in the end I realised that I would be better buying cars that have the quality parts in them to start with ie- NSR and Slot.it. I keep the scaley cars stock apart from a bit of oil/grease and a sand of the tyres and they are fine. Must say when I first got into the hobby in 2009 I wanted to upgrade everything but then I purchased a slot.it Nissan R390 and decided that the little bit extra spent on another brand was more than worth it (Its actually cheaper for me to buy a slot.it car from overseas than a scalextric car from the local hobby store). Then I purchased an NSR GT40 for Christmas, but thats another story...

cheers

matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Matt.
I was looking for a cheap, quick and dirty way to fool around with the gear ratios but it seems like anyway you slice it new axles, bushings, wheels and tires are needed. The Slot.it and NSR complete axles seem like the best way to go but are much more expensive and I refuse to run those god awful Scaley aluminum wheels.

Are there pinion options that are compatible with the stock Scalextric motor and spur gears?
The Scalextric Sport+ pinions I bought are of varying diameter and will not work but perhaps there is another manufacturer that makes lower tooth counts in the appropriate diameter to mesh with the stock spur.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hi again,
The way I ended up looking at upgrading cars was that if I was going to spend so much on parts to upgrade I would be best spending the money on getting a car with the quality parts in the first place. If you are going to look at upgrading parts it is best to stick to the same manufacturer as their gears usually mesh better (nicer fit) than mixing different makes together. There is plenty of info elsewhere on the forum about gear sizes and direct replacement parts for your scalextric cars, use the search engine function and type in what your after and you should be able to find plenty of tips of what to use. Off the top of my head the scaley pinions are 6.5mm and the spur gear 19mm, I'm pretty sure when you use slot.it gears you can get the 19mm spur gears with a different tooth count and the pinions as well so you will be able to try out different gear ratios. Most time it comes down to trial and error but you can end up with plenty of spares. Have a look at some of the sponsors sites for the different types or give them a buzz or email as they are all quite helpful.

Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts