SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scalextric Sport Pit Lane - Do you want one?
Yes please! I'll take one for my 2-lane track3363.46%
Yes, I be needing one for my 4-lane track1426.92%
No thanks59.62%

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I`m sure they know. Imagine the extra fun you could have with RMS or other software race programmes? Would be magic to incorporate pit stops into the racing!

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Pit stop would be good but only as part of racing. Therefore needs to be linked to refuelling, with the time you spend in the pitstop giving you more fuel (and time to clean your tyres) but then less power to the car until fuel loads lighten ie pitstop strategies that are set pre-race. Excellent!!! Future has to be digital.

Matt

·
DT
5,195 Posts
I would say that a pit lane mixed with RMS and digital would be really the best thing that you could do to slotracing.

If you see how things go down at Le Mans during the 24 hours, the pit strategy is a vital component to the race. If you could simulate that then you're OK.

In-line pits (RMS v1.0) don't work. As Matt says, imagine a pit lane that would cut the current and hold cars in...

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I honestly think it`s gonna happen. After all it`s a logical step. As good as it can get? Fuel supply and use linked to your controler and tyre wear dependant upon your driving technique.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
QUOTE (and time to clean your tyres)

oooo - scalextric like to inovate - how about a pit stop that DID clean your tyres

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Pitstop that cleaned your tyres.

I'm sure I've seen a system someone set up that included this. Double sided sticky tape on your pit lane so that are you drive over it all the grubiness is removed. Not a perfect clean but a nice touch.

If a real strategy comes in to racing then I think there would be a lot more people joining in our hobby - imagine all those virtual F1 fans who think they should be ross braun - chance to prove it physically.

Also the third dimenison to your skill set. As racers you have to be able to race competitevly keeping a good average speed, know how to overtake and keep it in the slot. The next dimension is you've got to be able to build/tinker to get a smooth consistent car (we have a coiuple in our club who are good racers but can't build so they either struggle or borrow another car (not fair I always cry)). Now you have to add a strategy dimension to your skill set.

Those who aren't so good at the first too have another aspect they can excel at to make them that bit more competitive overall.
Matt

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
There are different kinds of slottists - collectors, modellers and racers.
Some people can be more than one of these.
Within the racers, there are also very different approaches and attitudes too.

My experience is that loads of people THINK they want pit stops until it comes to laying out real live money for them.
Relatively few people actually have a permanent layout.
Those that do have a permanent layout often don't have the space for a pit stop and many of those that do have a permanent layout AND the space, when it comes to actual decision time, would rather use what space they have to extend the running track instead. After all, who is EVER satisfied with the length of their circuit?
Add in the factor that most people prefer driving like maniacs rather than picking their noses in a pit and I venture to suggest that the poll will not reflect the reality of actual sales - not even close. There will of course be SOME people who will follow through and buy pitstops and even use some form of pit strategy but I warrant it won't be many and even some of those will soon be bored silly after the initial novelty has worn off!

I love full size motor racing but I abhor the fact that races can be won or lost on nothing but the uncertainties of refuelling pit stops. The fact that a 200 mile race can actually be decided on the vagaries of a sticky fuel pump, I find quite ludicrous. When you have evenly matched cars, you might as well save all the wear and tear and waste of fuel and atmospheric pollution by not running the cars at all and, instead, running a couple of of timed tyre changes and refuelling cycles. It would be MUCH safer and considerably cheaper too! Far less wasteful of the planet's precious resources (That'll please the greenies). I equate pit stops with World Cup football matches being decided on penalty shoot-outs - just a terrible devaluation of all the time, effort, skill and money that went into the main event - straight down the toilet.

< Prepares to be razed to the ground and incinerated by 50 litres of blazing petrol>

But cheerfully unrepentant!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I`m gonna back you up on the one point Tropi. Been manufacturing about 12 years, not only slot but it doesn`t matter what else it`s still hobby based. People do go on big time, yes make this we`ll buy it and you are bang on correct do they part with their hard earned? . When it comes down to it of course it`s always a risk but just wanted to say I`ve experienced first hand,know what you are talking about and what you say is right. Still want a pit lane though all the same!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE It would be MUCH safer and considerably cheaper too! Far less wasteful of the planet's precious resources (That'll please the greenies). I equate pit stops with World Cup football matches being decided on penalty shoot-outs - just a terrible devaluation of all the time, effort, skill and money that went into the main event - straight down the toilet.

Hmmm.... guess you'll be waving a "green" banner at the 24 Heures du Mans this year?
If not, gotta draw the line somewhere....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts