SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting my cars to run the other way round the track than the powerbase makes them so I have opened up my powerbase and as far as I can see all I need to do is to swap the wires round that go to each of the tracks rails.

Is it as simple as that?

Also is it possible to put in a switch so that I can make the cars go whichever way I fancy?

I know I could just put the powerbase the other way round on the track but with my track design there is no available space to do so.

Alan

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm sure it is is relatively straightforward to put a switch in, I'm sure someone on here has done it already... I have often wondered why Scalextric didn't add one in the first place, I guess their thought was turn the powerbase round... not easy on a permenant circuit though...

Explains why the Carrera Bentley, with its polarity reversing switch is so popular with my kids...

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Yes, Alan, all you need to do is swap each wire going to each lane. Your powerbase contains a diode rectifier circuit - two of them actually, for use with dual wall warts - that convert the AC from the wall wart into DC.

You could also simply swap the wires to the opposite side of each lane underneath the powerbase - this is much easier!

Even if you put in a switch to change direction you will still not be able to turn your brakes on or off, which is helpful and fun for many cars. I am in progress on a tutorial on building a simple driver's station that lets you change direction and turn brakes on or off. Fergy has given me permission to use a schematic he designed and the idea is to help new folks go from schematic to reality. You can see what I have written so far here. Disregard the stuff at the bottom of the page which relates to installing a Slot.it light kit.

You might also want to check out this tutorial on dynamic braking, which also explains track wiring.

If you are not sure what your are doing with electricity it is always the wisest course to find a friend who does know. Rather than modify your powerbase just now, why not simply switch the leads to the rails on the bottom of the powerbase. When you have a little more knowledge or a friend that can help then you could build the driver's station. Remember, the goal is to burn up the track, not burn down the house!

Paul
Circuit TrustChrist

1 - 4 of 4 Posts