SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a scalextric sport set and noticed that I have to press almost all the way down on the hand controller to get alot of punch, then if I press all the way down, the car goes off the track. I may be used to the carrerra exclusiv track because it seems to have a lot more power and control. Is there anyway I can get more power with this scalextric track set? Will a change of controller help? It's a cool set, I like all the accessories, but no where near the "punch" I had with my carerra set. Thanks

Eric

·
Registered
218 Posts
hi eric, had the same problem. just buy 2 parma economy 45 ohm controllers and see what happens. the standard controllers are $%##@!!! (not so good) in my point of vieuw, later you can add a second scalextric power supply or one with more amperes. good luck.
gose

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the help. I read in the new scalextric brochure that they make 30 ohm controllers vs. the 60 ohm controllers that come with the set. I heard good things about the parma throttles so I'll see if my LHS has them. I'm assuming the lower the ohm, the more power. Second power supply and/or more amps sounds good. Does scalextric make a higher amp power supply?

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
Now don't go jumping down my throat here if I'm wrong - the technical heads will surely correct me once they see this post - but the resistor can do no more than alter the delivery of the power, the amount of power is set by your transformer alone. So a low ohm resistor is like a light switch, on or off, and a higher ohm is more subtle, building up the power like a dimmer switch. Ultimately, you are getting the same juice through to the cars.

It may be, again, I'm happy to be corrected here, that because you are used to Carrera, you are used to less magnetic downforce from the stainless steel rails.

It may also be that the Scaley power supply is a bit anaemic.

Where are the technical heads when you want them?

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Hi, Wankel Ickx!

Well, you are right about the fact that both hand controllers will give a car eventually the same max power. Your power supply determines this max power. BUT! Eric32 has now a car that requires quite a lot of current before it reacts to a trigger. With 60ohm controller you have to press trigger more to get the same amount of current to the car as with 30ohm controller.

Basic math: I(current) = U(voltage)/R(resistance)

With 30ohm start current would be approximately I=12V/30ohm = 0.4amps

With 60ohm start current would be approximately I=12V/60ohm = 0.2amps

Eric32,

Hope you´ll read the provided threads but I'm warning that it's not recommended to connect high power DC supply to Scalextric power base. If your cars consume more than 1A of power there is a risk that your power base will be damaged. This is due an internal diode 1N4001 in power base that cannot handle very big currents.

Julius

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
To put it simply:

To get more "punch" you'll have to re-wire power base, upgrade power supply for more amps and possibly switch to 30ohm controller.

Julius

·
Registered
164 Posts
I concur with your view here Wankel. The lower the rating on the resistor, the earlier things happen in the throw of the level. Full power being achieved with less resistance.

Go for Parma 45ohm controllers. The difference between them and the stock scaley jobs is incredible. If needed you can change the resistors for a lower rated (25ohm and 35ohm) reasonably cheaply.

Even though I did the mods, my powerbase still went poof.

Fried power base

The simple upgrade is buy another sport power pack and plug it in and add sport specific Parmas.

If you change the power supply (I went for a variable voltage high amp regulated DC unit), forget using the sport power base. Shame though, I kinda liked the carbon fibre look

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
218 Posts
forgot to mention that i use only one 2 ampere (really don't think i need more for a normal home track) power supply with variable volts. it works perfect. for the kids i put it on 9-12 volts and for the "big kids"like myself i go to 14-15 volts. no problems at all!
gose

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm definately going to get the parma controller first and see if it gives me the desired power to the track. If not, then I'll look into getting an additional scalextric power supply. So if you just put two scaley power supplies instead of one, I'll get more power? Probably that with the 45ohm controller will do the trick. I don't want to Fry anything. Thanks guys

·
Registered
150 Posts
By using two separate transformers will definitely give you consistent current on each track. While two cars are racing at the same time with only one transformer, if one of them deslot, the other car will get a sudden surge since it's suddenly getting all the power availble. This is also true when the other car is breaking (letting go of the throttle) and the surge is likely to cause a crash.

There isn't a problem using just one transformer IF you are only running one car. eg. not racing your mate or the challenger.

Personally, I'd like to think that different controllers give different throttle characteristic. Obviously, that'll also depend on the characteristic of a particular car. From my own knowledge, the standard Scaley controllers (60ohm) act a bit like a light switch (on/off). Like you said in earlier post, there's almost nothing all the way but then everything when at full throttle. I find that the lower the resistance, the more sensitive it is. So basically the more throttle you apply, the more the car advances. 45 and 35 ohm controllers are suitable for most cars. Although some people say that it's more suitable to use a lower resistance controller (eg. 25ohm) for high magnet cars to compensate for the extra downforce.

I have a 35ohm Parma economy and it's pretty good. Although I still prefer my Professor motor controller. I think for a budget controller, you can't really beat the Parma.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts