SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Prof I T
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The board thickness is 0.7mm and the highest component is 1.5mm or 2.2mm overall
thumbsup2.gif

This fits "perfectly" into the available space , unfortunately not compatible with Arc Pro powerbase so only a concept at this stage..

It has Wireless and App connection for configuring the car decoder and upgrading firmware ,also features an accelerator and wireless telemetry.

Automotive lighting Helmet Audio equipment Automotive tire Font

Urban design Font Grass Asphalt Circle

Attachments

Reactions: Billy_Cart

·
Prof I T
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
This chip is purely native SSD..The advantage with this is the only tool required is Scissors to cut your braid to length...

It takes seconds to remove the existing braid disc and replace with this one, No soldering required
thumbsup.gif
,you don't even need to remove the shell of the car
thumbsup2.gif

·
Prof I T
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And no need to twist the wiring loom through 180° to swap from Analouge to Digital
thumbsup2.gif

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I am amazed at the Slot Car technology lately.

I just started with slot cars 5yrs ago and it seems I'm already outdated....

Great work!

Enjoy,

Shad

·
novice jazz player &
6,474 Posts
Not sure if this helps with the above innovative thinking... IR LED is in the same position as per the above 3D CAD image - although in this case the LED is not on the guide plate itself.

The DB5 photo also shows how the guide blade leading edge needs to be moved rearwards to give the LED unrestricted view into the guide slot.

c

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Wheel Hood

Image copyright (c) Dr_C 2018

Attachments

·
novice jazz player &
6,474 Posts
I guess mechanical survivability might be a concern for surface mounted IR LEDs in this somewhat exposed position... so maybe best to recess the LED into the guide plate?

c

·
Registered
91 Posts
If I understand it correctly, I'm amazed how you can shrink the technology of a digital chip into such a small space!

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
Agreed Keiths! And its all thanks to the two teams that have been driving miniaturisation of the normal chips, DRC and team scorpius.

DRC:- our software member AndyS who coded the original PB-Pro for the C7030 old 6 car powerbase was embedding LEDs in his guides way back in 2007, predating surechange by some time. It really is the only way that a disc chip would work. I had missed your Aston Martin, your installation is impressive!

Title and some posts have been moderated to clarify use. Please refrain from linking to other slot racing forums. Thanks.

·
novice jazz player &
6,474 Posts
Hi Riko, I should have shown you the Aston Martin when we met at Slotcarfestival in 2018 - it was in my rucksack at the time :)

Many thats for the update re the early work of AndyS - it was a time of true digital pioneers. The new Scorpius idea as presented above builds on a great tradition of digital slot car innovations.

c

Reactions: Widders

·
novice jazz player &
6,474 Posts
This fits "perfectly" into the available space , unfortunately not compatible with Arc Pro powerbase so only a concept at this stage..
Hi Ade, there is a so-called grey-wire mod which can be applied to the ARC PRO powerbase to enable LED-before-guide ID detection (digital mode only)... so with the mod in hand the ARC PRO is fully compatible with, and ready and waiting for, this new discus innovation :thumbsup:

The above Aston Martin has been running perfectly on a modified ARC PRO system for over 4 years now :)

c

·
novice jazz player &
6,474 Posts
Probably an easy-to-address detail - but in the above diagrams the front edge of the guide blade appears to obstruct the IR LED... I have no doubt this can be addressed for example by cutting back the blade as per the Aston Martin ... or alternatively by making the blade out of IR-transmissive plastic.

Also, I wonder if there are risks of damage to the SMD LED through transmission to that device of the knocks and impacts that the blade receiives as the car navigates the slot. All can be addressed and with time will be interesting to see what approaches are adopted by the team.

Meanwhile two questions...

1/ would a link to the grey-wire-mod be helpful?
2/ does the nylon insulator require slots for the pick-up braids as shown in the diagram? probably not?

Good luck with next steps - this is genuinely exciting innovation.

c

·
novice jazz player &
6,474 Posts
Good point... the new disk concept is indeed incompatible with the ARC PRO as per the opening post... unless... one of the following two actions is taken...

1/ the grey-wire-mod is carried out
2/ the disc is designed rotated through 180 agrees so the SMD LED is behind the trailing edge... that might be safer too from a robustness/reliability viewpoint.

c

·
novice jazz player &
6,474 Posts
Now I think about it... this has to be tried...

a PCB-fabricated SSD-compatible blade plate with a SMD IR LED embedded into the trailing edge... a simplification of the Team Scorpius fully embedded decoder idea - and one which can be tried out within just a few weeks... open innovation at its best...

c

·
novice jazz player &
6,474 Posts
nice!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts