SlotForum banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

ParrotGod
Are the braids soldered to the power in tabs? Because they do not have enough material between the disk/chip and the upper part of the guide.

Another thing to notice is the alignment of the insulator material: is this part of the chip or is an extra disk to put in the guide first?

I think the braids are too thick at 1mm unless we are talking of the original scalex braids. If the LED is riding so low in the slot as depicted by Riko it could be dislodged if taking a bend too hard.

Prof I T
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Guide is 1.8mm wide LED is 1.6mm wide..

As its for Scalextric cars naturally the braids are 0.6mm thicko.

LED has plastic casing and addressees any concerns with R1 radius corners.

Rectangle Font Parallel Home appliance Diagram

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Diagram

Rectangle Parallel Font Slope Diagram

Attachments

Prof I T
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Guide in opposite lock still misses rail..

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Diagram

Attachments

novice jazz player &
Does this analysis include real-world variations e.g.manufacturing tolerances in the positioning of the rail joints? - including mechanical mis-alignments etc? likely the real world is far more challenging in terms of bumps and sharp edges than the above graphical representations...

c

Administrator
I disagree DRC, probably with the dynamic forces acting on the guide both front and rear of the blade will be pushed against the outer rail, so the above I think this is probably the worst case that needs to be accounted for a twisted blade in an R1. Most likely when re-slotting a car

novice jazz player &
I agree re cornering and wasnt intending challenge on that point.

My point was more additional areas...

1/ From quick measurements...slot width seems to vary from 2.3-2.6mm so there will be manufacturing discontinuities and variations.

2/ The gap between metal rail sections can be as high as 1.3mm at track joints including R1s so needs to be added into the above R1 calculations.

2/ Also, the blade has running play which allows angular motion of the blade assembly in the role axis and pitch axis (using aviation terminology)...

At the LED position...

Role axis running play gives left-light motion of the LED position of +/-0.2mm.
Pitch axis running play gives up-down motion of the LED position of +/-0.4mm.

So quite a lot going on...

c

novice jazz player &
I guess running clearance between the blade plate and the guide blade is another variable to add into the mix.

SSD guide blades seem to have a width of circa 1.75mm (not sure of the manufacturing tolerance on that) and guide blade/braid plates have an aperture width of 2.2mm (though perhaps this could be reduced) so currently there is potential for further misalignment of +/- 0.2 mm as the blade/brade plate twists in the guide assembly...

Please dont get me wrong... I am not saying these are show stoppers - far from it - more that they are tolerance/manufacturing variabilities to keep in mind in designing and manufacturing a successful and reliable new product.

Final point from me... the latching point at the rear of the guide blade/braid plate is going to be critical... here removal of the plate involves pushing the plate forwards. If the LED sits proud of the PCB some form of protection will be needed to avoid the blade potentially dislodging the LED during removal procedure. Agsin, not a show stopper so long as a shielding methodology is in place.

Well thats my hobbyist tuppence worth...

c

novice jazz player &
A slightly different option could use a 1.1mm tall IR LED (including lens) embedded into a 1.2mm thick PCB blade plate ... this would leave 0.5mm clearance for super-thin pick-up braids... By fully embedding the LED the risks of physical collision between the track (or debris) and the delicate IR LED are eliminated... maybe worth some consideration?

c

Administrator
Those were my thoughts too. Its effectively embedding components into the board. Thats 15 year old technology, not too difficult

novice jazz player &
Yepp - far better if it can be done without needing any new packaging technology...

tried and proven = easier...

in this case a drill hole the same diameter as the LED... job done.

c

novice jazz player &
But where to put the drill hole? front or back...

Front is more exposed...

Back is more protected... but the wider lip on the blade plate would interfere with the tilting action while easy-fitting... so would need modification (in the form of a slanted surface) at the rear portion of the main guide blade moulding... so not quite easy-fit.

Both front and back need to be explored... I favour LED at front... so long as the encapsulation is 100%.

c

novice jazz player &
Thanks Ade,

From my testing to date the close proximity of the LED to the rear edge of the guide blade makes it incompatible at race speeds with any current UNMODIFIED ARC PRO i.e. versions v0.3 and v0.4.

The grey wire modification as reported elsewhere on sfi fully addresses this incompatibility issue and involves disconnection of, or snipping of, a single grey wire which is easy to access. It is a digital only solution.

However...

When the disk decoder is demonstrated functional and if it can be shown to be a useful addition to the SSD ecosystem (which we all hope)...a very simple design change to the ARC PRO could add both SureChange compatibility as well as compatibility with this disk concept.

The design change has been tested over quite a few months and could be implemented in the next ARC PRO production run. It would require a modest level of collaboration between two respected digital slot car companies. Thats all.

c

Reactions: GRUNZ

Bob Chapman
Edited post removed.
I surely would expect better conduct from this group. And I mean not just 2 or 3 of you. This group is the only group causing issues on this forum and quite frankly I am discouraged at the very least. If it takes the banning of members to regain the proper order of things on this forum I shall do so without hesitation. In my opinion there is no right side and if this continues there will be no sides.
I and the rest of the moderators have had enough of this behaviour. I don't want pm's from any of you thanking me for this post. I would much rather you take that time to consider your desire to be a contributor than a detractor.
Bob

Administrator
The cleaner has finished. Lets carry on in the spirit of cooperation. This is potentially quite a difficult concept to realise...

ParrotGod
I am not sure if I asked, but are the braids going to be soldered on those pads?

Reason to ask is that there is not much space inside the disk for the braids to hold on to.

Also, around the braid pads there are too many "exposed" connections: if the braids move a bit they might touch those other pads.

With braids soldered on the pads most of the above issues might disappear.

Living the Life!
Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Pattern

The area circled, in blue, is all part of the same pad so braids can touch here. The braids are not soldered as they are designed to attach to the disc by a friction fit. This has been successfully tested and the project moves nearer to completion.

The "disks" will be encapsulated with Dow Corning's PCB liquid which dries to a clear and protective coating thus preventing any potential short-circuiting.

Attachments

Reactions: shorty54 and Ade

Prof I T
Now the Scorpius Disc Decoder is looking like a goer let's explore some of the possibilities into what is achievable with this new chip
thumbsup.gif

This is the first in a number of articles regarding the new disc for Scalextric Sport Digital, the articles will all relate to a scenario where the Scorpius Disc is used in conjunction with Scalextric powerbases, Scalextric throttles including wireless and all Scalextric lane changers..

Also optional to enhance the experience is the yet to be announced Locator Pro series 2, more on that later
thumbsup.gif

This article will relate to the wireless feature of the chip and , dual radio protocols and the Scorpius app currently under development.

Wireless upgrades come to mind first , the upgraded firmware can be stored on the website or even included within the app itself..

The disc decoder utilises Nordics incredible nRF52832 ultra small chip, it uses Scorpius RF protocols and Bluetooth BLE, both in the 2.4ghz band to communicate ..

When the car is placed on the track the default RF (throttle mode ) to toggle to Bluetooth for app tap the brake button 3 times in succession, follow the prompts on the app and upload the latest upgrade to the car in seconds , appware for this already written..

Once the car has been updated it returns to RF (throttle mode ) ready to race
thumbsup2.gif

edited for typo.

Living the Life!
Locator Pro?? Excellent, I hope a certain person might be tempted out of retirement now ....... :drool: :drool:

61 - 80 of 107 Posts