SlotForum banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
novice jazz player &
6,467 Posts
This is looking amazing - dual mode with both SSD track reading and nRF wireless comms looks great. Presumably the 2.4GHz antenna will feed up into the body shell via the gap immediately in front of the blade assembly? or is something more clever in mind?

I guess the comms is Bluetooth Low Energy rather than Classic Bluetooth? I dont think the nRF52832 can run Classic. Tiny point.

Meanwhile all looking exciting and looking forward to the next article... :thumbsup:

c

·
ParrotGod
8,425 Posts
just to be clear, the wireless part is only for remote update of the firmware, or would allow also for the chip to be controlled directly by a scoprius controller?

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Also optional to enhance the experience is the yet to be announced Locator Pro series 2, more on that later :thumbsup:
If my interest wasn't peaked before, it is now 👍

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
just to be clear, the wireless part is only for remote update of the firmware, or would allow also for the chip to be controlled directly by a scoprius controller?
I think the former rather than the latter.

I was thinking if you could somehow decouple the aerial and use the braid and hence the rails as the aerial... I do sometimes live in a world of fantasy....
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif
blink.png
wacko.png

·
novice jazz player &
6,467 Posts
Once the car has been updated it returns to RF (throttle mode ) ready to race :thumb:
I thought RF was short for radio frequency... i.e. wireless... maybe I got that wrong? hopefully not...

c

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
I thought RF was short for radio frequency... I.e. wireless... maybe I got that wrong? hopefully not...

c
Actually its Injectorman's initials....

·
Prof I T
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Part two..

Continuing along on the possibilities of the new hardware being successful let's look at Configuration. .

Lets start with the brakes, often overlooked for ssd users and even forgotten are adjustable brakes, as we know it's either button braking, no brakes or 100% dynamic.

A few have tried ssdc and mih chip upgrade to achieve on the fly braking, however not easily accessible, but it does add layers to the race experience
thumbsup.gif

So now enter 2021 and the possible introduction to the marketplace of the Scorpius Disc Decoder where brakes can be set in 1% increments between 0 and 100%, so the question arises can precise braking benefit ssd users
question.gif

The answer is Yes, but the Hornby digital system cannot replicate this in any form, the Scorpius dcc decoder will have amongst other things brakes that are configurable on the chip , so rather than using the throttle to adjust brakes we can adjust brakes and store in the car, the car will detect brakes (100% dynamic) via incoming data showing zero throttle , the processor now applies the algorithm and the desired level of braking is applied.

Settings however will not be configurable on the fly, of course an Android or iPhone device is needed along with the app is required
thumbsup.gif

·
novice jazz player &
6,467 Posts
This is a great idea... and the concept has already been proven in principle using a little-known feature of ICP4.0.1 where advanced users can pre-set max throttle strength to any braking strength value between 0-100%. It functions well and results were reported by a third party user on sfi quite a few months back. What was missing was a simple user interface to facilitate setup - the Scorpius use of an nRF chip with RF-mode would nicely address that shortcoming.

As mentioned ICP already provides on-the-fly adjustable braking for advanced users with the APB C7042 but this functionality is not as yet carried across to the ARC PRO... that would require, I believe, a couple of lines of code change for PIC18. If some progress in this area by Scorpius triggers by Hornby a new release of PIC18 firmware for the ARC PRO which permis rather than blocks adjustable braking... that would be good too.

All good... carry on!

:thumbsup:

c

·
Greg Gaub
15,096 Posts
Adjustable brakes, even if they must be set in an app, is still adjustable, and always A Good Thing™. I look forward to buying some of these chips.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Credit where it's due, it looks like a promising product. I don't think the LED position would be a problem, I saw another image posted elsewhere with a plastic package LED that looks perfect for the application. Looks good, braking options sound like a nice addition. If there are problems with any issues raised I am sure they will be ironed out before final release. Looks like there will be some interest in this one!

·
Prof I T
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Today we discuss throttle response ,as you probably know one or two of the rms programs for the C7042 support throttle response ,however this is for the C7042 and wired controllers.

Those who have used the feature realise how easy 1/10ths can be shaved per lap with correctly setup throttle profile,So how to do it with ArC P and C7042 powerbase without using rms and computer ?you can't until now. .

So how does it work ?, similar to setting brakes , put the car into Bluetooth mode (used to reflash and reconfigure) go into the app and select throttle profile ,design your own profile then upload to the car, the car receives the initial message from throttle as would fore mentioned rms program would.

The throttle information is manipulated in the car chip not the computer chip, it's that simple , The motor output will now mimic the rewritten throttle profile not the throttle itself..

·
Prof I T
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Update..

Today John will order half a dozen unloaded boards to test power ,continuity and physical fit, it only has the bits that matter for testing
thumbsup.gif

We are using 0.4mm ultra thin 4 layer boards never before used in the slot car industry so another first .

If these work then there's no reason John can't order 20 prototypes, then it's onto firmware stage , good thing about this project is no wires and no soldering
biggrin.png

The chip will be silicon dipped too, another world first (trialled by Scorpius in 2013) more on that in another thread
thumbsup2.gif

·
Prof I T
11,173 Posts
Standard on the ssd disc decoder will be 422B, a one part acrylic - silicone blend conformal coating by MG chemicals that cures to a durable flexible smooth finish .

It is easy to apply and can be handled in only 8 minutes, it may be removed with strippers or soldered through for repair work..
thumbsup.gif

422B is designed for applications where high surface temperature and flexibility are required , it puts minimum stress on components during thermal cycling making it ideal for applications that involve a wide temperature range , it provides strong protection against moisture, corrosion, fungus, dirt, dust, thermal shock, short circuit's , high voltage arcing and static discharge, has been tested in salt spray environment with no oxidisation or coating damage..

Bottle Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Drink

edited to add photo..

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
8,425 Posts
I mean, this silicon stuff can applied to any other chips...or does require to be applied during manufacturing time?

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
We conformally coat all boards that are used on aircraft systems, it might be a tad over the top on slot cars but it is good not only at preventing moisture damage and shorts from odd metallic items touching the board, but it enhances life, stops corrosion.

It really needs to be applied during manufacture when the boards are fresh and have gone through a cleaning process

·
ParrotGod
8,425 Posts
Well given the position where this chip is going to sit I think this coating is a must.

·
novice jazz player &
6,467 Posts
This or something different... maybe something different that is even better for the specific purpose here... ???

i.e. is conformal really what we are needing here?

c

·
Registered
240 Posts
Any possibility of component overheating? I experienced several failures of chips wrapped tightly in electrical tape. I switched to "breathable" surgical tape instead.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts