Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Does anyone know how easy it is to convert these models into working slot cars and what parts of the static car need to be changed? Is the chassis prepped to just insert a motor, braid/guide and axles for a 1/32 slot car model. Also, after all the necessary modifications have been made, would it have been cheaper than just buying the working 1/32 slot car in the first place?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Mr. Max

The Hornby static models are easy enough to convert to slot cars but you will have to buy a chassis, guide blade and axles. They can work out cheaper than buying the original scaley slot car but the grill, bumpers, whels etc on the static models are white plastic and not chromed as on the slot cars.

vince

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi,

Thank you very much Vince. I'm not bothered about not having the correct grilles as that feature would be only for show-mine stay under my bed! Thanks for that information anyway. I will investigate into the possibilities of getting one with all the relevant parts for conversion. All the parts out to be easy enough to obtain as they are all standard replacement parts. I trust that the bodies are white/unpainted? Also, will the bodies of the static kits have the screw threads in the correct position to accept screws from the working slot car chassis?

Time: 21:18-Just checked out prices etc for all the relevant parts for the working slot car conversion. I have decided to not bother as the prices are very close, I would be wanting a painted body and there are always the possibilities of me making a technical error, therefore preventing the car from running at 100% performance. I guess it was a bit stupid checking these out in the first place as the point of having an unpainted body is that you can do it yourself and make your own livery. The chassis for the running slot car includes all the screw holes, details, magnet, motor positions and location for the joint of the motor lead wires. There are also 4 sets of 2 small pins where the motor lead wires are pushed into to hold them in place. The pins are on the chassis level.Here are the prices for reference of anyone else who would be interested in doing the conversion:

Kit: £6.50, Chassis (included is the front axle assembly): £5.75, Rear axle: £4.00, Motor: £5.00, Motor lead wires: £2.00. (TOTAL Kit inc. parts: £23.75) RTR Scalextric version (£26.00). The

Hope this information is of assisstance to somebody.

Ben

1 - 3 of 3 Posts