SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've managed to buy 2 Imprezas off eBay that both have the right-hand headlight missing.
The cars in question are a C2177 and a C2257.

Apart from waiting for 99p cars to turn-up on eBay that I could strip for parts, any suggestions where I could try for replacements. I've tried the usual suspects websites - Slot City, Pendles, Scalextric Restorations, etc.

Anyone got any they'd sell me?

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to make replacements?

TIA
Stuart.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I've just looked inside my Scooby C2789 and that uses ordinary white LEDs. A quick trip to Maplins should sort you out. Should be a straight forward replacement if you can handle a soldering iron.

·
Circuit Owner
5,923 Posts
Stuart,

If you mean the headlight lens then good luck in your search.

If you mean the light doesn't work then rather than Maplins - try that famous auction site - they have prewired 12v 5mm white LED's for less than Maplins' straight LED with no resistor or reverse diode. All you need to do is trim the wire and solder it in the right way round (google LED polarity to find out if you're not sure).

The pre-wired LEDs are so much easier as they have the correct resistor and are neatly finished with heatshrink.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
The scooby has lighting boards with all the components needed. If the LEDs are blown then a straight 3mm replacement is best, adding more resistance into the mix will only cause them to glow dimly.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies.

QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 26 Oct 2011, 23:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you mean the headlight lens then good luck in your search. This indeed what I mean, and I realise I'm probably not going to find any.

After I made the original post, it occurred to me that I should investigate the possibility of somehow filling the spaces where the lenses should be with clear resin.

Alternately - and probably easier - I could use normal filler and paint silver, then several coats of lacquer, over it and run the cars without lights.

Cheers
Stuart.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 27 Oct 2011, 05:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After I made the original post, it occurred to me that I should investigate the possibility of somehow filling the spaces where the lenses should be with clear resin.
The more I think about this, the more I think it's time to learn how to mould resin. I've got a car with the full compliment of headlights I can use as a buck. I just need to source some resin and research the correct method for moulding it.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Black3sr @ 28 Oct 2011, 09:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I believe I read somewhere here using a drop of glue which has been allowed to harden as a lens. Maybe a search will turn it up.
I did wonder about doing that.........

·
Robb
581 Posts
This era of car always seem to loose those lenses.
Might be worth trying to make a mold, I'm sure you could sell them as replacements!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Robb @ 1 Nov 2011, 13:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This era of car always seem to loose those lenses.I don't know about "era" in general, I think it's something that Scalextric designed-in.

QUOTE (Robb @ 1 Nov 2011, 13:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Might be worth trying to make a moldI'm looking into that at the moment. I still have one pair of lenses I could use as a pattern.

QUOTE (Robb @ 1 Nov 2011, 13:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm sure you could sell them as replacements!I have wondered about that..........

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
QUOTE (Dave Sykes @ 1 Nov 2011, 16:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Finding the right resin might be difficult. I have struggled. often the aqua clear resins do not set if under 1mm thick and have exotic mix ratios to boot.
Hhmmm, interesting. Thanks for that. I was just about to go seek a thread on how to cast resin.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With help from Wayne of W.A.S.P (no, not the heavy metal band!) fame, I've found a solution that's acceptable to me.

First, I paid a visit to Wayne yesterday, and he cut and shaped some clear plastic sheet to fit in the headlight recesses for me. This was done as the easiest option.

When I got home, I painted the recesses "chrome" silver and dropped the new lenses in. It was OK, but I still felt it could be a bit better.

After a bit thought, I remembered Wayne showed me some chrome tape he'd bought. Then I remembered I had some decals made for my 1:1 car in mirror vinyl and I had at least one spare...........

So, this morning, I've cut some of the vinyl to shape and laid it over the lenses. This is the outcome........

Not a great picture, I'll have to try to get a better one. The lights don't work, what you see is the reflection of the flash. On the opposite side, what looks like a black hole is a reflection of something dark.

OK, it might not be the best solution. .....And, yes, I can be a proper cheapskate. But I'm happy with the car now, and I'll be doing the same when I get 'round to re-liverying my spare Impreza shell.

·
Robb
581 Posts
Be good to see one without flash, it looks like an led headlight in the photo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This may help I do a bit of repair work making parts that look like the original plastic out of good old ordinary easily available 5min clear epoxy. The trick is not to use too much and have an aerosol top or little dish handy with clean cold water in it. Mix your epoxy well, time a small test blob to see how quickly it goes off, you don't want it to move around too much when you use it for your lights (if rear lenses add a tiny drop of bright red acrylic paint into the mix). Once you know the timings put tape or thin plasticard inside or behind so the epoxy can't run away, mix it up, drop it where you want it (not the carpet) fill slightly proud. Watch it carefully until it starts going off, move the car around if necessary to counteract any unwanted movement (even upside down to keep it proud). If you've timed it right it'll go off pretty quick then dip your finger in the water and gently shape the headlight with your wet finger to match the desired shape - KEEP YOUR FINGER WET and it won't stick and it will leave the headlight shiny once completely dry. Don't touch it for a day or so and away from dust and the like. Rusty.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
You should post this in the 'scratchbuild' forum as the folks there have all the skills you need to learn to make stuff.

Just use 'coke bottle' clear plastic cut out for the lamp and get a new bulb from Pendleslotracing.

Don't waste time with Maplin as the Scalex replacement part is a much sharper and clearer light than a simple diode. Two Scalex parts are cheaper than anything Maplin do for the performance you'll get.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (rusty_spring01 @ 7 Nov 2011, 01:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This may help I do a bit of repair work making parts that look like the original plastic out of good old ordinary easily available 5min clear epoxy. The trick is not to use too much and have an aerosol top or little dish handy with clean cold water in it. Mix your epoxy well, time a small test blob to see how quickly it goes off, you don't want it to move around too much when you use it for your lights (if rear lenses add a tiny drop of bright red acrylic paint into the mix). Once you know the timings put tape or thin plasticard inside or behind so the epoxy can't run away, mix it up, drop it where you want it (not the carpet) fill slightly proud. Watch it carefully until it starts going off, move the car around if necessary to counteract any unwanted movement (even upside down to keep it proud). If you've timed it right it'll go off pretty quick then dip your finger in the water and gently shape the headlight with your wet finger to match the desired shape - KEEP YOUR FINGER WET and it won't stick and it will leave the headlight shiny once completely dry. Don't touch it for a day or so and away from dust and the like. Rusty.
Thanks for that Rusty, I'll try to bear it in mind for any future projects.

QUOTE (Screwneck @ 7 Nov 2011, 06:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You should post this in the 'scratchbuild' forum as the folks there have all the skills you need to learn to make stuff.
Thanks to you also, Screwneck. Unfortunately I don't have steady enough hands for most small, delicate, modelling tasks.

QUOTE (Screwneck @ 7 Nov 2011, 06:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just use 'coke bottle' clear plastic cut out for the lamp
That's pretty much what Wayne did for me, but he used plastic sheet.

QUOTE (Screwneck @ 7 Nov 2011, 06:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>get a new bulb from Pendleslotracing.

Don't waste time with Maplin as the Scalex replacement part is a much sharper and clearer light than a simple diode. Two Scalex parts are cheaper than anything Maplin do for the performance you'll get.
Bulbs aren't a problem in this particular instance as I'm not bothered about working lights on this car, and I do have a couple of spare Scalextric bulbs - but thanks for the heads-up on Maplins stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.