SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a C2412 Impreza second-hand off eBay. I shouldn't have, really, because I'd already told myself "no more second-hand stuff" - but there y'go.

The car's one of the ones with the rear mounted sidewinder and RWD-only. Right from the first time I used it, it had a problem - after a few laps it starts to lose speed. First, I did all the usual checks. Nothing binding, and everything lubed. I've also fitted new braids and checked they have good contact with the terminals. So I put it down to a duff motor as I already knew that the car wasn't anywhere near as good as described in the eBay listing.

This morning, I've swapped the motor for a nearly new one that I know to be good. The car still drives the same.
20-odd laps and it can barely drag itself around the track.

What am I missing?

TIA
Stuart.

·
Tore
1,694 Posts
Something must be rubbing or binding. Have you checked that tires don't rub on the fenders when you push them against the body? And is the motor secure in the mount? Could be a loose motor that twist around and bind the gears when accelerating. Also check that the wheels or gear don't slip on the axle.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Im Guessing that your other cars run fine on the same lane/controller?

Have you tried running the car without the magnet?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (356speedster @ 11 Sep 2011, 12:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Something must be rubbing or binding. Have you checked that tires don't rub on the fenders when you push them against the body?That was the first thing I checked Tore.

QUOTE (356speedster @ 11 Sep 2011, 12:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And is the motor secure in the mount?Seems to be.

QUOTE (356speedster @ 11 Sep 2011, 12:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Also check that the wheels or gear don't slip on the axle.There doesn't seem to be a problem there, either.

QUOTE (dodge @ 11 Sep 2011, 14:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im Guessing that your other cars run fine on the same lane/controller?That's right.

QUOTE (dodge @ 11 Sep 2011, 14:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have you tried running the car without the magnet?No, but I will now you've mentioned it.

I should have said previously, but the motor does seem to be getting hotter than my other sidewinders do, over the same amount of laps.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you've got a similar sidewinder scalextric car swap the rear axle over.
Had the same problem the other day, with a mates scx nascar and found there was glue in the rear bearings, after a few laps of running it was getting hot, expanding and slowed it right down

After a few mins, usually the amount of time it takes to pop off the body and look, it was ok. so swapped out the rear axle and all was good.
It wasnt until we stripped the bearings off we noticed the glue.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that ^^^^^
I'll give it a go.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (dodge @ 11 Sep 2011, 14:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have you tried running the car without the magnet?
I have now!

I don't understand why, or how, but it was the magnet causing the problem. I was on the verge of giving-up on the car.
I'll try to explain............

The magnet that came in the car was quite "powdery", and looked like it had been painted as something on the surface was peeling from it. When I got the car the mag was in the rearmost position, and I moved to to the front one. This position is very near the braid terminals, but there was at least 2mm clearance. Removing the mag, the car ran fine, but wouldn't hold the track. I fitted one of my aftermarket neodymium mags in the front position and I've now ran the car for 50+ laps and the first and last laps were within 0.1sec of each other.

Problem solved!

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts