SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
So recently I've been buying some Scalextric cars. Not done that for a while.....

I bought the lovely Surtees McLaren M7C.

Took it apart (yes tricky). I gave it a nice Slot.it drivetrain, Policar rear wheels and tyres and off I went or so I thought.

Exiting at some speed from the first curve I remembered why I stopped buying these a while ago! THAT guide!!!

So I got to thinking that somebody on here MUST have sorted this a long time ago and lo and behold there is a nice conversion thread. However it requires buying bits of brass tube, various drill sizes AND most of all it requires non reversible intervention.

So I thought lets see if I can make something to convert directly.

I came up with this:

Water Plant Road surface Asphalt Sky

Sky Astronomical object Flash photography Asphalt Font

Atmosphere Road surface Water Flash photography Asphalt

Automotive lighting Flash photography Asphalt Road surface Automotive tire

Sports equipment Green Tints and shades Skateboard Flooring

Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering Computer hardware

Wheel Tire Vehicle Toy Car

Of course at the first iteration it was abit loose but this second iteration works perfectly. Sits all snug (just push fits) and works with the Slot.it range of guides (as well as any others that have the same diameter posts.

It does need a longer than supplied screw...

Now the BUG. Scaley, for reasons only known to themselves have a different angle of guide bridge on each and every car (or maybe they have 'sets' of guide bridge angles - not really sure. So I have made a conversion piece that so far fits the Lotus 49, Mclaren M7C and Tyrrell 001/002. It will probably fit hundreds of others but as I don't have any others I don't know yet....

Anyone interested if I supply these??????

Cheers

Andi

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
What a good idea. I have a dozen Scaley cars in my stable and virtually all of them now have full Slot.It motors and dive trains. All of course are now much faster as a result. It does surprise me, however, that there appears to be no easy way to change the silly round guide for a proper one. I like your idea very much! I must admit that I hadn't really appreciated about the differing angle of guide bridge but now you come to mention it...

I have successfully modified one as an experiment using Sloting parts but as you say, this is non-reversable.

My cars are mostly GT3s and similar so will probably differ from the F1 dimensions. But I would certainly be willing to give the idea a try. Put me down as definately interested.

Cheers
Alan Manton

·
Circuit Owner
5,919 Posts
SureChange SPORT guide is a direct fit for the silly round plate Scalextric guide - the screw in version.

It uses ferrules or grub screws to fix the guide wires and the blade depth is the same as the newest deeper Scalextric guides.

Just saying.

But these adaptors look great if you want to use a full range of options including deeper wood guides.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh excellent, so someone HAS done this before. Not having been looking before i'd never seen these and some searches didn't turn them up.

So that product would work on the Mclaren above but, for example the design of the Tyrrell has a gap where you would glue that b-nova version.

Anyone else got a view?

Andi

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
You've re-invented the B-Nova guide adapters. Still available world-wide, by the way.
Yes, I've used the B-Nova adapters and very good they are too.

·
Greg Gaub
15,149 Posts
Ahhh excellent, so someone HAS done this before. Not having been looking before I'd never seen these and some searches didn't turn them up.

So that product would work on the Mclaren above but, for example the design of the Tyrrell has a gap where you would glue that b-nova version.

Anyone else got a view?

Andi
As I don't have those particular cars, I'm having a hard time visualizing what you mean. The B-Nova come in a variety of thicknesses, and although they are a snug press fit like yours, glue is always a good idea.

Where can one get these B- Nova?
When I did a google search for "B-Nova guide adapters", I found suppliers in the states, the UK, and elsewhere.

Please make these available, Andi.

TED...
I can't disagree here. I'd also like to see the file shared on thingiverse for those with printers to make their own. :)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Have been using B Nova for many a year with Scalextric , Pioneer, indeed my Scalextric Ford RS 200 rally car for the WRP proxy races use it and it works well with Scaleauto, Ninco sprung guides as well , have found it difficult getting a new stock of these so another maker would be very useful Andi

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
The guy who made the B-Nova adapters ceased production a couple of years ago.

Not sure but I think someone, maybe Devis 3D designs, had them available for a while and they decided to cease production also.

There was talk of them ending up on Shapeways but I don't know if that happened.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Leon, you have a PM

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
The googling only brings up places out of stock... :-(

I have had so many blades break I was looking for a solution...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, sounds like a useful thing to have available....
I need to work out how to do it because so far they are made with a ' maker only' material.....
Due to thin walls.
Cheers
Andi

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Ted
Hope to get them onto Shapeways this weekend Ted....
Need to do a bit more material checking.
If not I'll have to Print and sell which fills me with dread.
I might approach a retailer......
Andi

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.