SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I´m thinking that it could be time to try a new track layout, but I don´t like most of the available trackplanner software.
So I have started to print the Scalextric track pieces in a small scale. These are in 1:7 scale and I made them with a puzzle piece like connector.
It works quite nice, so now I can try lots of different layouts on the dining room table.:cool: Just need now to print approx. 200 pieces :oops:

Orange Asphalt Font Red Symmetry
Amber Asphalt Orange Road surface Gesture

Tire Wheel Orange Toy Hood

·
Greg Gaub
16,855 Posts
Great idea! :)

If this is your design, change it so that there is a tab and socket on each end, just like the real thing, and turns can be turned around. Less variations to print. The way you have it, you need to mirror each turn piece to have the option of going left or right. Also, you could probably make them half as thick and they would still work well and save time and material.

·
Jim Moyes
5,238 Posts
Can't you just turn them over to go the other way?

• Haha
Reactions: PatB and MrFlippant

·
Greg Gaub
16,855 Posts
I was thinking the same as Greg as I assumed to save time and material the main part would be hollow just like the real thing.
Ooh, yeah, and then each of them could be printed in vase mode. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Klitgaard what is your designed in tolerance between the tabs and sockets?
The difference is 0.3 mm between the male and female. Yes they can be turned around for mirroring.
They are 5 mm thick because i planned to print them standing which would have reduced printing time significantly.
Had to give that up, but retained the thickness.

·
Greg Gaub
16,855 Posts
Awesome! Thanks! :)

I see you only have one extra short straight. Is that the 1/4 straight, or the "Short" straight? Based on the file names, I'm assuming it's the 1/4 straight. Whichever it is not, please add it. :) Some kind of indicator to differentiate it easily from the other piece of similar size is advised. :)

Adding the elevated crossover (three short straights in length) would also be helpful, especially if you also added the little "ears" for the support columns so that the piece is not easily confused with others.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
My calculator are just as good for dividing by 7, as it is to dividing by 8 or 10 😋
Sorry- .... jokes aside.. Not so much thought in the scale decision, I think 1:10 would be too small.. 35 mm for a long straight...a little hard to work with. And even worse with R1 in 22,5 dgr.
Could have been in 1:8, but I liked that a long 350 mm long straight in 1:7 is the nice round number...50 mm. (Maybe it´s a metric thing.)

My post was primarily indented to pass on the idea of a "hands on" track planner, and it should be quite easy to re-scale if some should wish so.

·
Greg Gaub
16,855 Posts
Yep. I figured it was more about the size of the pieces than anything else.
I'm currently printing a set that I rescaled to 1:10 and then set to 2mm thick. It looks like they will print ok. I'll post photos when it's done and I've played with the pieces. I almost did 1:8, which would have made drawing a scale 4x8 foot table easy with an imperial ruler, but I prefer metric as well, so went with 1:10.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts