SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Matt Tucker
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some/Most/All of you might have read this but its disapeared off the face of SCI. Also the TVRs should be with us in a couple of weeks so I thought a timely reminder was needed - these are excellent cars.

Tuck

Scalextric TVR T400R

There has been much UK hype about these cars. These are a Scalextric release firmly aimed at the UK market (after a glut of recent American aimed releases) and they also incorporate some new technical developments. These developments include a new guide system (much requested for) and for the first time, out of choice, Scalextric have put the engine in the front of the chassis.

These cars will be released by Scalextric in early October with the first two liveries being released as Sport Editions as well as standard editions. However I'm inpatient and after finding out that a UK chain-store were releasing an exclusive set based on these TVR T400R I had to get hold of them.

The TVR T400R race in the British GT and race against Moslers and the Phoenix Scalextric Club (our own John Swords slot club) sponsored Ultima. The two liveries in the set are the Xavex and the Harman Kardon which took part in the 2002 series. Firstly I commend the chain-store for putting two race liveried cars in the set - the first time they have done this. However as they won't be on general Scalextric release you have to buy a set to get them!

Outside
My first impression was - these are stunning models. Comparing them with photos from the British GT 2002 I felt the proportions and details of both these models was first rate and very accurate. The paint on both models was beautiful - no bleeding, even clear coat with no dust and no 'orange peel' paint effect anywhere. All the tampo printings were extremely crisp allowing you to read the writing on even the smallest tampo. A nice job!

The details are high quality: 6 bonnet latches crisply painted; tow hook incorporated in to the rear end of the chassis; air intakes in the roof and bonnet (a separate piece) are structural; tampo printing on the Oz 5-spoked wheels (only on the Harman Kardon livery); nicely detailed and easily seen vented disk brakes; rivets structurally part of the body (not tampo printed) and side exhausts as separate structures.

The structural details on the body (rear wing, mirrors and wipers, lenses) are very securely attached and I could not remove them. They all survived a high speed impact with concrete, but they might break in a crash during competitive racing. The cars have front (yellow) and rear (red) LED lights that seemed brighter than previous models. They dim/go off when power is released - I think Scalextric should add a battery back-up (as per Fly) so the lights stay on.

In overall looks I'd give these cars a A* and in my opinion Scalextric have upped the ante in detail terms and given the other manufacturers something more to aim for, if they are up for it!

Internal detail is a little more sparse: knee length driver (Slik noted that the driver has a new head that we have hassled Scalextric about for so long - thank you Scalextric (RIP Mr Blobby, 2003)) with speedometer and a roll cage as visible details. I did not remove the cockpit so I only inspected it from the outside. However in my opinion this level of detail is more than adequate.

Inside
6 screws hold the chassis to the body - the two rear screws are longer than the others so don't mix them up. We've asked for same size screws before but I think the body shape restricts the size - however this could cause problems for the uninitiated. The body needs a bit of prising off the chassis as the wheel arches envelope the wheels at the bottom.

The chassis hold the now standard flat bar magnet and has two positions available. There is also 'whimps' space behind the guide for a button magnet. Plastic bushings hold the axle and drive train tightly in line although a bit of glue is always recommended to keep this firmly in place. The motors bracket is very secure and the motor does not budge - however gluing is as ever advisable. I found the drive train very smooth, with a 9 tooth plastic pinion meshing with a pre-greased (nice touch) 28 tooth crownwheel (3.1:1 ratio). The rear axel had slight side to side movement that I will space out and a bit of play in the bushings that should not cause too many problems. The front axle again has some side to side movement that I will space out and minimal vertical play (I prefer it that way).

The hubs and tyres were very true (round) straight out of the box and were very firmly attached to the axles. The rear tyres are of softer compound and much wider (10mm) compared to the front (8mm). The hubs diameter for both front and rear is 9.5mm with 21mm tyres at the rear and 20mm in the front.

OK to the guide system. The guide sits all the way in the slot. The guide is a little deeper (5.1mm deep (from the braid holder)) than the previous blue ones (4.9mm). This results in a clicking as it goes over SCX/Classic track, so it needs a little trimming that does not noticeably affect performance.

The braid holder comes out easily without the need to remove the rest of the guide - slide it forward and flip backwards. The rest of the guide is attached to the chassis with a screw (resulting in minimal guide sloppiness).

Performance
I did not have much track time but out of the box I found the car quick but more importantly very smooth. The magnet (in its rear position) kept the car firmly in the slot but when really pushed the car gave nicely controllable tail out action in the corners. Even if pushed to far the car fish tails very controllably and lets you recover easily - a by-product of the new guide system? I did not do any timing nor tuning and the only issue I could foresee was the ability to get flex in the body. As stated before the body wheel arches wrap round the bottom of the wheels and have minimal clearance so if the body flexes the body will rub on the wheels. This is more of an issue if you intend to run without magnets (which I do so will need to be resolved). Overall I had a lot of fun driving the car with the time I had and it will be getting a lot more track time.

Sum-up
Easy - get one! Unless you want to collect all the race liveries (I will be!) I'd wait the short time until Scalextric releases their liveries (De Walt and Harman Kardon from the 2003 British GT series) in Sport and standard edition. It will be worth the wait.

·
Matt Tucker
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Um ebay - I was the first to sell the argos tvrs (I've now bought 4 sets (Swiss and Quickcars (SCI member) should have hold of theirs now?) and they sold for £50 a car!
In the UK delivered to your door the whole set and a lap counter for <£95!!

However these are very nice and I advise you get the Scaly ones when they are out.

Tuck

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Credit Tuck that was the presented review I ever saw. More of that style please mate. The pics were mouth watering and as you say cant wait til Scaley release theirs. Goes without saying I`m hoping all the TVR`s break down this Sunday at Brands and then this rather nice Blue Ultima with Phoenix Scalextric Club logo can hog the lime light!!

Swiss has the pics of our car with a bloomin` good looking chap styood next to it. He`ll pop them on here when he gets a chance cos he is a lot more brainy than me! My Mrs says I don`t love her cos she`s not coloured blue and yellow (Phoenix clours).

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
happened to get TVR set

Q's answered.. I dont know, last week, in the garage, there's no room in my slot room, no because then they will HAVE to be raced

Inte

p.s Wednesday is a free afternoon to partake in sports.. so guess what i did?

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Oops!

Apologies Matthew..

I posted some pics and comments in another post - I didn't even see this one!

How the hell did that happen?

Anyway, sorry..I better make sure I keep more on the ball.

Oh! and NICE REVIEW

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yes a very nice review, Tuck, well done!

As has been mentioned elsewhere though, the blade on that new guide looks as though it barely reaches more than halfways into the Sport track slot.
I wonder when Scalextric are going to address this.
I had been expecting this one to be the next step forwards and am a little disappointed, but only in that factor, not in the rest of what seems to be a top class car.
Surely a deeper blade replacement must be on its way soon?

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Yes, I agree with Mecroprop. In fact, I've had my two Tuscan's for a few weeks now and both have guides that are 1mm shallower than any other Scalex blue guide. Even with the guides flattened out, these new guides are way short of being technological advancements. All they really do is make changing the braids easier, and that does not warrant the design in my book.

Apart from this disappointment, the Tuscan is a great car. Not as fast, responsive, or exciting to race as a Fly Viper (which is odd when taking into account that they are almost the same in terms of dimensions, motor, and slot car design), but still a great car that is a must to have in the collection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmm cant really say I'm overly impressed by my TVR, sure it looks good's but the fact that mine seem's to reach a certain level performance wise and er de-slot well before other car's I have does dissapoint me slightly,

And to a degree like most cars this is fairly normal, it however does not give much warning by way of breaking loose at the rear and sliding first(or much, again quite typical of alot of my newer scalextric cars), so I find this trait does limit it's appeal performance wise to me, and I mean my Mustang is a good 0.2 of a second quicker round my admittely modest track, what's that all about!!!!(a 60's muscle car quicker!!!),

More show than go in my opinion the TVR,

Sunny

·
Registered
263 Posts
On my track, the Mustang is a FULL second quicker thsn the TVR and that's with the TVR using the front button magnet and the Mustang not. I'd say 0.2 sec is pretty close!

I think it's good that scalex can rlelease really good quaility cars that have a character of their own and different performance levels too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My track is very small as in a fast lap with the Mustang is 1.8 second's so what may seem like a very small amount of time like 0.2 of a second is quite marginal as in it's lapping 10% faster so it would take it 10 laps to lap the TVR!!!!!!!!

I could put the front button magnet in the TVR but I think that would sap a bit of accelration from it and being honest I think this would dull the performance to the level of being boring,

I know Scalextric are by no mean's the only culprits of having say a Sports GT car slower than a 60's muscle car(for example), but I would like to see manufacturer's reflecting the car's real life performance so that it fit's in with the other cars in there range, I suspect however thats where the line divide's between a toy and a model racing slot car imho,

Regards
Sunny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.