SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for spare part codes (W code) for tyres of 60's Scalextric UK cars. I have quite good collection of catalogs, price lists, spare parts lists, service instructions etc.

I created this list:

60's Scalextric Tyres

I am very happy if somebody can help me to fill my list.

Some questions:

1) What are differences between rear tyres (W1552) of sports prototypes (like Javelin, Electra, Miura, P4 etc.) and front tyres (W1554) of Power Sledge single seaters? I have always thought they are same. According service sheets they aren't.

2) According spare parts list rear tyre of K.1 Go-Kart is same as C.76 Mini Cooper tyres (W141). I think this can't be true. I tried Mini's tyre to Go-Karts rear rim. Tyre is absolutely too small for this rim.

Regards

·
Stranger Things 2
575 Posts
Hi finscale45, looks like you have done a lot of research to get that list together.

Here's something blank on your list that I can help with ... the C.99 SEAT/Fiat used tyre W/1553.

Something else I should mention is that the C.7 Mini came with at least 3 different wheel / tyre combinations , as far as I recall they are :

• Type 1 C.7 had the same small wheels and tyres as the C.76 FWD Mini.
  • Type 2/3 C.7 had a higher profile wheel and tyre fitted ... still a narrow wheel though, like used on the first C.7, just higher in profile.
  • Type 4/5/6 C.7 had wider wheels and tyres fitted.

As far as I know the C.93 Race Tuned Healey used the same W/406 tyres as the C.74 Healey, and the C.94 Race Tuned Mercedes used the same W/508 tyres as C/75 Mercedes.

On a related subject I believe the C.1 and C.2 cars used W/508 tyres ... I've tried these C/75 tyres on a few of my C.1 Alpine Renault and C.2 Matra Jet and to me they certainly look the same on the wheel, perhaps one the other members could confirm or deny this.

Cheers, Michael

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
A useful list, finscale.
The C36 Honda and C37 BRM seem to have the same tyres as the Powersledge cars. Mine do anyway. Yes; both cars are marked "Made in Spain".
The tyres on the rear of my GTs from that time, such as the Mirage and P4s, seem to have the same tyres as on the front of the Powersledge cars, as you expected, though most of my GTs were originally You-Steer cars (bought cheaply), so I can't be definitive.
My P'sledge Ferrari 158 has narrower fronts but I probably put those on myself. I have all the others and their front tyres are 10mm in overall width.
There is a similar but slightly narrower tyre on the rear of my C22 "Made in France" Porsche 917L, but the model differs in several other ways from the British GTs and sports-racing cars. Instead of 10mm overall width, the 917's tyres are closer to 9mm. I can't guarantee it's original, however.
You list the C80 rear-eng'd Offy as having the same tyres front and rear. I assembled mine from parts, but from a photo of the original it had larger rears than fronts.
You don't list anything for the C79 front-eng'd Offy but it probably had the same tyres as the C80. Certainly the wheels (and motor, etc) were the same. My two cars have replacement rears nowadays, so I can't be sure.
It'd be useful if people selling replacement tyres could be as specific as this. Putting on my Grump hat, I'm annoyed when people offer "early Scalextric F1 tyres" which turn out to be for 1970s or even 80s cars.
Keep up the good work.

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
QUOTE According spare parts list rear tyre of K.1 Go-Kart is same as C.76 Mini Cooper tyres (W141). I think this can't be true. I tried Mini's tyre to Go-Karts rear rim. Tyre is absolutely too small for this rim.

Yes it is the same tyre, you just have to stretch it over the rim, I know it looks like it won't fit but it will.
The C7 Mini with the larger rims uses this small tyre as well.
It's because of this stretching that the K1/C7 tyres are usually perished and cracked.

QUOTE What are differences between rear tyres (W1552) of sports prototypes (like Javelin, Electra, Miura, P4 etc.) and front tyres (W1554) of Power Sledge single seaters? I have always thought they are same. According service sheets they aren't.

There are two different rear tyres for the Javelin, Electra etc, one of them uses the front power sledge tyre on the rear the other uses another tyre, this applies to UK cars, French ones use different tyres and so do USSR cars.

Scalextric tyres from this era really is a complicated subject, I have all the info in my head and know which is which but having the time to get all that down on paper is another matter!

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
On the left, a tire fitted to the FRONT of my Team Car and all of my Powersledge cars, several which were NOS. Width varies slightly but is around 10.5mm.

On the right, a tire that came off the REAR of a NOS Scaletti Arrow. Some lists indicate that the Scaletti Arrow uses the same rear as the Javelin, Electra, Mirage, P4, 917, and other sports cars. Those same lists may also indicate that this same tire may be used as a front tire for the Powersledge cars, the Team Car, C36 Honda, C37 B.R.M., maybe a few others. Width is around 9mm.

Although there is a resemblance at first glance, they are noticeably different upon closer inspection. Same I.D. and O.D, but the 10.5mm Powersledge tire has 7 grooves and a heavier sidewall. The 9mm sports car tire has 8 grooves and lighter sidewall detail.

Thanks for undertaking this list. I hope you can sort this out, because I would like to make sure that when I purchase tires, I get the true 10.5mm Powersledge fronts instead of the 9mm Javelin rears.

·
Registered
625 Posts
QUOTE (ThaiRacer @ 11 Jan 2012, 09:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On the left, a tire fitted to the FRONT of my Team Car and all of my Powersledge cars, several which were NOS. Width varies slightly but is around 10.5mm.

On the right, a tire that came off the REAR of a NOS Scaletti Arrow. Some lists indicate that the Scaletti Arrow uses the same rear as the Javelin, Electra, Mirage, P4, 917, and other sports cars. Those same lists may also indicate that this same tire may be used as a front tire for the Powersledge cars, the Team Car, C36 Honda, C37 B.R.M., maybe a few others. Width is around 9mm.

Although there is a resemblance at first glance, they are noticeably different upon closer inspection. Same I.D. and O.D, but the 10.5mm Powersledge tire has 7 grooves and a heavier sidewall. The 9mm sports car tire has 8 grooves and lighter sidewall detail.

Thanks for undertaking this list. I hope you can sort this out, because I would like to make sure that when I purchase tires, I get the true 10.5mm Powersledge fronts instead of the 9mm Javelin rears.

Hi Thairacer...., In Finscale's list it gives the C5 Europa Vee (powersledge) and C6 Panther tyres as W1554 (front) W1555 (rear).
The tyre's in your pic's are exactly these. Rear is on the left of pic.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Finscale. In your list you have the C58 Cooper tyres as front W506 rear W505, if this is the case then you'll find that the C88 Race-Tuned Cooper will be the same as they used the same wheels (finished in chrome) as the C58 (which were black).

Hope this helps.

Billy.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Hi
Link works ok here,It's a link to a Adobe pdf file.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have just seen an original scalextric spares bag with 12 'front go kart tyres (K1)' with the reference W/509, if that helps to clear up the confusion above? on the same point am I right in thinking the Go Kart rear wheels were the same size as the C7 tall wheels?

·
Stranger Things 2
575 Posts
QUOTE (robertd86 @ 28 Feb 2014, 13:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have just seen an original scalextric spares bag with 12 'front go kart tyres (K1)' with the reference W/509, if that helps to clear up the confusion above? on the same point am I right in thinking the Go Kart rear wheels were the same size as the C7 tall wheels?

Hello robert86 ,

The w/509 tyres are used on Offy's and Cobra's .. seems a little big for the K1 Go-Kart fronts.

I've got the K1 Go-Kart as running Cat # w/140 on the front. I have a packet of w/140's in hand and they are indeed tiny tyres, and look the exact fit for the front wheels on my K1 Go-Kart.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I had a look on the scalextric restorations web site. they do loads of tyres but their really pricey! unless you want original old rubber fine, but if you want the same size tyres that perform much better than the originals try wayne, paul gage or ortmans. there far superior a hell of a lot cheaper and you wont tell the difference when their on, only the better performance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts