#1 ·
As it says above....

Images courtesy of foroslot.com

A fuller photo report of the show is HERE

-Rob

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a Viper !?!?!?!?

It sure is a great looking car, but I'd suggest that the Hornby designer should try and get this car built irl, coz he wouldn't be infringing too many copyrights!

'Spose I've just proved my lack of knowledge in the current sports car world!

Mr.M

#4 ·
Hmm, that sure looks a bit strange! Does anyone have some pictures of real Viper looking like that? If it's a new version the designers sure have messed up the original cool looks of the Viper

Thanks for posting! There sure are a lot of very interesting things there!

I like the look of that Ford GT!!!!

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
The more I look at it, the more I like it, whether it's s'posed to be a Viper or not. Perhaps the Hornby chap should get in touch with whoever owns Jensen. It would make a nice retro-styled car for them to restart with. Definitely got the head on look of the CV8.

Mr.M

Scott posted while I was, so perhaps it is a good model! I seem to remember in the early part of the year when Hornby announced it, the real picture they used was either from the rear or of the older model. It would seem a backward step for them if this was badly wrong, as so far this year their new stuff has been excellent! I've never bought so many Hornby products

#11 ·
QUOTE Ditto...............doesn't look much like a viper to me either. I think it seems to have undergone scaley's "tallifying" process.

It doesn't surprise me. Hornby haven't gotten any of the American muscle cars right. The Mustang, Camaro, Greenwood Corvettes are all badly flawed. If it looked liked the Viper in Muffin Man's photo I'd cough up the bucks, but if they're planning to release it as in the opening photos then I'm going to have to pass. Good thing too - there's just too much GOOD stuff coming to market these days.

Steve

#15 ·
Yup, thats the current one all right. "Blandified" by the designer who did the current Corolla (believe it or not!). I like the first one much better, myself. It was nicer to work on and easier to drive than this one with the three-foot deep seat cushion. The exhaust system on this new one has a sad story attatched to it, too. All in all its a testament to what can happen when children are allowed to play unsupervised

To fun!

#17 ·
The original Viper had side exhasue pipes and of course they got hot so a screen covered them.
For the Euro market a quieter exhasut was needed so a rear exit exhasut system was developed and all Vipers were then built that way. Originally I think there was a slight performance penalty but with a ton of torque nobody could tell the difference- even with a stop watch.

#20 ·
Allright, here it is as I lived it. The original had side exhaust. To sell the car in Europe (and later in the states) side exhaust was against the rules. Noise standards are becoming more restrictive all over, so the full-length-rear exit was built up by a friend of mine down the hall. The bosses liked it and developed it. It still ran down the sides below the doors (space), and the insulation got better inside the aluminium sill covers. This exhaust system was terrifically efficient for emissions and flowed very well. The restriction was all on the intake side of the system(as with several of our motors at the time). Okay now to the new car. When the side exhaust was proposed this time around there was no intention (stupidly) of selling the street car in Europe. They intended to sell only the race car (coupe) over there and noise wasn't a problem for racing. (This is where it gets sad
). Noise is still an issue over here so the kids decided to incorporate "noise cancellation" technology to tame the loud moan. This stuff really works. I saw it demonstrated back in '89 or '90. The idea is to listen to a given sound and generate the opposite frequency thereby cancelling the sound out or modifying it altogether. Now, the kids have long complained that the V10 has a poor sounding exhaust, and the idea was to modify the sound to that of a V8. (I was told "the customers want it".) By the time they figured out why no other company was using this technology, the body was finalized with a deep trunk (for golf clubs) and no way back for the old exhaust system. The little microphones and speakers are simply not robust in the environment. The system is also VERY expensive per car. By this time the new car is three years behind schedule and pressure to finish is mounting. I didn't get the first three development cars until very late, and they were the old car with my simulated 8.3L setup. The side pipes were staying but noise was still a problem, so, the pipe seen on the left, is actually the right bank exhaust and the right is from the left bank. The extra several feet of pipe serves to squeek by the noise standard. Seen from below the gasses are doing an incredible "watusi" to exit the car. I just loved stuffing this octopus into that little car and them making it seal. Now the set-up is choked in front and plugged out back(at least they were thorough). Ther are quite a few other blunders made by the kids elsewhere but I'll leave it at the exhaust fiasco.

Fun?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.