SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES 2011 No.3 Lewis Hamilton photo above and detail photos below
Reference No: C3165
Availability: November 2011

VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES 2011 No.4 Jenson Button photos below
Reference No: C3166
Availability: November 2011

The Scalextric models
The McLaren MP4 series of famous F1 cars continues to form part of the Scalextric offerings. This 2011 livery of the Lewis Hamilton MP4-24 car is fitted with DPR plug to enable quick fitting of the Digital chip and a magnet fitted just in front of the rear axle to emulate the fantastic down-force of F1 cars.

History
The new McLaren was unveiled in front of an expectant crowd braving the Berlin cold early in 2011. The latest creation from the Woking-based team, the MP4-26, certainly got the seal of approval from Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button, then being the first time they had seen the car. Both drivers were expecting the same thing from their new machine - that it could carry them to a second drivers'
championship. If the new McLaren goes as well as it looks, even though appearance is rarely a barometer of performance, Britain's young guns, Hamilton and Button, will have a machine capable of achieving a great deal.

Features:
Quick change guide braid plate. Magnatraction. Digital DPR chassis.

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
I'm sad. Wow. I guess no comments so far says it all....how does this car resemble this:

Is that last years body with this years paint scheme?

Shocking stuff. C'mon Scaley you did a great job with the Petronas Mercedes why didn't you continue with the Mclaren, a BRITISH car?

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
Well after searrching hard all I can see wrong is the side plate bit and the radiator opening profile, else it looks alright to me... It wasn't a big change from last year was it?

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
The real car does not have such a droopy nose .......

·
David K Phillipson
1,443 Posts
perhaps those at scalextric would like to tell us why it has taken 10 months to change 3 numbers and alter the position of 2 decals

and then charge us full price for a "new car"

will look elsewhere for a better attempt

spot the difference with the new one above and last years

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
My wife. That knows nothing about Scaley cars. Just looked at this and said: "That can't be THIS years car....." I rest my case.

·
Registered
280 Posts
QUOTE (Keeto @ 11 Oct 2011, 18:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm sad. Wow. I guess no comments so far says it all....how does this car resemble this:

Is that last years body with this years paint scheme?

Shocking stuff. C'mon Scaley you did a great job with the Petronas Mercedes why didn't you continue with the Mclaren, a BRITISH car?

Hello Keeto,
A quick note to say that most slot car manufacturers who produce F1 cars have the same problem whereby F1 cars change atleast anually, sometimes more often during the season. It is financially unviable for a slot car manufacturer to make tooling that is only destined to be used once. Hence many liveries of the same car, using the same tooling and despite any real world changes to the full size car, are released from nearly all slot car manufacturers.
This means that to make an F1 slot car model accurate it would have to:
1: Engineering design and development would start no earlier that the first race of the season (Feb/Mar)
2; leading to a delivery date to the shops that would likely be after the season had finished. ie a model of the 2011 real car would not be delivered until 2012.
3; leaving customers perplexed as to why the slot car manufacturer has released the previous years car.

Therefore, slot car manufacturers generally make an agreement with the F1 team to use the same body tooling for an agreed number of years, usually with the proviso that the current years livery is used on the car body. Development and tooling begins as soon as the real car shape body details are released to the public at large - normally in the pre season launches in February. The same tooling is used for a pre-determined number of years by the slot car manufacturer. If the 1:1 car shape changes this can often mean that the proposed livery & decoration may not physically fit anymore - and adjustments are made for a best fit. This is why you will often see that slotcar models of F1 cars are seldom correctly detailed in body or decoration.
At best, an F1 car just might be correct for its first release but will then slowly become out of date over time.

I hope this throws some light on why this happens.

Happy Racing/Collecting
Adrian

PS: I have described the car as an MP4/24 and not an MP4/26 in the description in Doug's first post.

·
Digital &quot;Tea Boy&quot;
777 Posts
Hi Adrian,

Thanks, for explaining that to me, you and I have had this conversation before and I understand the tooling issue, but this is what perplexes me:

"At best, an F1 car just might be correct for its first release but will then slowly become out of date over time....."

Then surely the MONEY we pay should become LESS the more the car becomes inaccurate?

Jokes aside about my wife - She looked at that and said: "That nose is not right....." I mean really? If a novice can see the difference then how must a McLaren fan feel like?

As far as I know, and this is what Eddie Jordan said a few races ago - is the only car in the top teams that is a further development from last year is the Red Bull, all the other top teams cars are new.
So according to this theory Carrera can probably get away with this, this year. But please, this year and last years Mclaren's are significantly different because the 1:1 cars were/are completely new....and therefore I think Scaley could have made a better effort with this one.

I'm sorry but Scaley won't be getting my hard earned bucks for this one.

PS - Are our digital souls going to see some new digital track pieces soon????

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Got to join the dissapointed club on this.

I do understand the points raised by Adrian, and accept that the main body of the car, like the air intake pods at the side are now the wrong shape, but...

The front wings are small additional parts, and i would have thought that a better representation of those could be made for each new model?
I am really disappointed with the helmet details too (or lack thereof). I know they are small, but even so, not a decal on either??

It looks like the DRS has been welded shut on the rear wing too!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Its all already been said but I'm HUGELY disappointed.
Really had hoped for the right car with the right decals this time.

Scalextric USED to rule the F1 market. I'm really beginning to lose faith.

They lost the Ferrari license.
They don't make Red Bulls
I struggle to remember the last Mclaren with the correct decals for the body shape.
The Mercedes was good but we can probably expect a rehash of that with some 2011 decals to appear shortly.

I'd pay for a new car every year if it was correct and I'm sure many others would too. I won't be buying this.

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
Scalextric can do fully detailed helmets but they seem to keep that option to specials. I've got the club special from a couple of years ago with lewis's helmet all there including logos.

I agree DRS activated would be my preferred modelling condition. Speed.... (roll opening lines to Cars the movie...)

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My take on this is that we will never get an accurate F1 car using this method of production.

Scalextric is always trying to satisfy the fans by producing an impossible car - the current year's design with the drivers and livery before the end of the season. Every year it's the same problem.

But we virtually never end up with anything accurate in F1.

I'd much rather buy a car that is a few years old and 100% accurate as we do with GT and rally cars. Perhaps there is a market for this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with Doug,

I would rather wait until 2012 and get an accurate representation of the car. I bought my first Pioneer cars this year and if Scalextric doesn't produce what the consumers want......I guess our money goes elsewhere........

I want an accurate model to show the history of the cars.......not half ass re-liveries......

Gary

·
Registered
468 Posts
I agree with Doug as well. BTW this car body is the 2009 shape which was first delivered to us with 2010 graphics, so this particular car has been wrong from the get go. The car having JB in it with the number 1 on the nose was the shape McLaren ran BEFORE he even joined the team.

Regards,

-- Rakete --

·
42 Yrs
2,240 Posts
Toy or model?????

At the risk of raising the ugly truth of small production runs etc etc is there not a case for a new "higher price" tooling for those willing to pay for it and the "toy" reliveried older model at a lower price?

Hornby run a super detailed and a "railroad" version of many of their trains to satisfy both markets so why not with us?

I recognise the licensing costs with regard to F1 and maybe £10 more on the car price for the right design would be worth paying??? we could call it a charitble donation to the bernie ecclestone benevelent fund and make it tax deductable

1 - 20 of 47 Posts