SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Matt Tucker
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up from another source that WHSmith (UK) are stocking a new weekly magazine from Scalextric. First issue is £2 then normally £5. WHSmiths allegedly will stock the first few issues and then you'll only be able to get them if you order it.

Each mag comes with some track/car parts to build up a layout (circuit 3) with 4 cars (Subaru, Mitsubishi, Porsche and TVR) and a (very) brief magazine with some famous track info, driver and car info. First issue has an R2 corner and a Subaru body shell only and the second issue with a controller.

Rumours say that about 60 issues will be produced to make the collection.

Anyone got any more - Mr Norman care to shed any light?

Matt

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
I heard something about this from my local supplier last week. He had got the nod from his newsagent, a single shop, not a large chain like WHSmiths, that this was on the way. The name Del Prado was mentioned, who regularly issue these sort of "super deals". My other half got caught out with their doll's house magazine, ending up paying over the odds for inferior goods.

So if "value for money" is not one of your priorities in life, I suggest you make enquiries about it at your local newsagent. Otherwise I'd wait a while and see what comes along. For example the recent Miticos series released in Spain worked out at around £20 a car and you never know they may release something similar over here.

If you're still determined, I may be able to supply the same amount of stuff for £200
(livery and colours may vary from those advertised)

Mr.M

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Typical, head off to the States for a week or and Scalextric release something i can't get!!

Mr Material - if you do see a copy of the first issue could you do me a favour and pick one up for me, i'll pay you back honest!!!!

Thanks

Gareth

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
Even if it's just something that's already out? You sure?

Mr.M

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
Damn your crazy logic!

Now I think I will have to get one for myself as well
. Crafty marketing people, they've got me hooked before I've even seen it.

Mr.M

·
Registered
324 Posts
I looker in WHSmiths yesterday and couldn't find it. I also tried several other smaller newsagents, and they've no plans on stocking it.

Does anyone know what it's called or when it comes out?

There is no mention of it on the Scalectrics web site either

Russell

·
Registered
324 Posts
I looker in WHSmiths yesterday and couldn't find it. I also tried several other smaller newsagents, and they've no plans on stocking it.

Does anyone know what it's called or when it comes out?

There is no mention of it on the Scalectrics web site either

Russell

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
Well, I sent the missus out yesterday on a mission to find this and she found 3 copies of issue 2 at the WH Smiths in Petersfield, Hants. She was told there that issue 1 was only available via a website. Erm, she didn't take down any details but remembers that Scalextric was in the title. I told her not to get any cos it came with a hand controller and I wouldn't give 5p for one of them, let alone £5. I may try some more research tomorrow and will report back.

Cheers, Mr.M

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
QUOTE Maybe we should try selling Corollas like this.

I went to a local, Oxfordshire, newsagent a few weeks ago when someone posted a snippet of a possibility of this happening. He knew nothing of it then but advised me that the way these things work here in Blighty is that the first issue is cheap, the second not so and after about issue five you have to subscribe, or at least pre-order any further issues.

I can't get excited about it.

Still looking to find a contact on the Spanish mainland who could buy me the SCX ones. Any Spaniards or ex-pats on this board?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Spot on Ecurie Ecosse

I had never painted a car before, so before I bought a kit, i thought i'd try my skills out on an old one I had.

I then bought decals from Pattos place to finish it off.

It was never really meant to look like the current Scalextric issue, just somewhere for me to practice.

By trhe way, do you own the Transporter in your signature? I've seen it a couple of times on the road.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
QUOTE do you own the Transporter in your signature?

Sadly, the only one I own is this old, slightly play-worn Corgi version that is now home to a couple of 1/43 diecast D-Types.

I did have one true, albeit slightly tangential connection with the real Ecurie Ecosse when I was motor sport press officer for Austin Rover when they used the Metro 6R4 engine in a Group C2 car to win the World Championship in 1986. Unfortunately the rather smart sweater no longer fits and I used the stickers on my road car.

Scott

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
A slight correction to my earlier posts. This is not by Del Prado, but by a concern going by the name of De(l) Agostin(i) or something similar.

Mr.M

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.