SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fast Lucky said:
QUOTE Carrera could have the best track, Fly deserves the gold medal for detail and Ninco is probably the best in drivability straight out of the box and has probably the best motor... How about Slot-it ? Their cars are tremendous...

Good points, and I think I agree.

He said this after another member stated that Scalextric deserved the Gold Medal for slot cars something or other. No prizes for guessing who.

Anyway, this brings me to my point. To all those Scalextric fans:

"What is the point about Scalextric that is better than any other manufacturer?"

You guys are always going on about it. But what is it better at than anybody else?

McLaren

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Errr.. How about Scalextric build damn good magnatraction cars? My Mustang and Dallara back this statement up IMHO. The finish of the Scaley cars is good too.

Mark.

·
Premium Member
5,196 Posts
I for one, was dead-set against Scalextric cars for many years because of their toyish aspect, which turned off discerning hobbyists. This changed when FLY and Ninco reached a nerve in the Scalex works and they issued the Cadillac LMP. Since then, I really think that they have done a great job, each new car being better than the previous one. However, thay have reached a plateau now and appear unable to go further UP. Chassis design is still pathetic, but so are all the others.

That Scalextric would be better than the others is in question: FLY is still the king of detail if not always of shape, Ninco has decent but toyish quality but is losing itself in weird and useless engineering, Carrera is WAY below par except for their track which I consider the best, and all others are left in the dust.

But at this time, my faves are the handbuilt jobs by Slot-Classics, MMK, Slot-Indy... they are so much more fun to drive.

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
I agree with Diff - Scalextric are up with the best in terms of detail, paint and finish. My recent Scaley cars have been very good out of the box too, and very quick on my sport track. Personally I think they're good value for money, too.

Are they the best 'Does what it says on the tin' ? Not too pricey, look good, good performance with magnet on Scalextric track. I like 'em.

Rob

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE Carrera could have the best track

Depending on your circumstances

QUOTE Fly deserves the gold medal for detail

At a price.

QUOTE Ninco is probably the best in drivability straight out of the box and has probably the best motor

Mine nearly always break down after 100 laps or less as the crown gears conk out and they are noisy (4/4 cars excepted) suggesting very raw mechanicals. In fact a higher percentage of my Vanquish MG cars (diff and all) have been more durable than the Ninco cars I have.

QUOTE How about Slot-it ? Their cars are tremendous

All 3 of them! Again magnet racers would say they need to be improved! And you know that is the case from comments at SCI.

Scalextric win by providing the best overall fun factor, choice and value for the home racer, combined with the best reliability and the smoothest drive. Its only when club racers start pulling them apart and doing there own thing that things go pear shaped!

And nobody would argue that Scalextric cars have the best finish of any of the brands mentioned, and most come with lights included in the price.

Moped

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Availability to the masses.... I'll give you that one.

But I've never had any problems getting hold of any car that I want from any other manufacturers.

Mainly because it is a household name, they can plaster themselves on the pages of Argos and every kid gets a set at Christmas. One thing they are good at, however, I bet in Spain, every kid gets a Ninco kit...

McLaren

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
QUOTE (McLaren @ 23 Jul 2004, 23:07)"What is the point about Scalextric that is better than any other manufacturer?"

You guys are always going on about it. But what is it better at than anybody else?
Take a look at their financial results and share price - more important to them than the views of Slotforum members I should think.

What enthusiasts tend to forget is that Scalextric are in the business of selling toy plastic cars to a mass market and they would appear to be quite successful at it.

I would suggest that they have the best overall package without excelling in one particular aspect.

Brian

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
lets look at this

at home - market kids,

fragile, trashed easily too fast.

at club - with magnuts

fast, but compared to others out the box, after inevitable prepping, left behind.

at club - without magnuts

USELESS! as the guide doesnt travel far enough!

in all? useless!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm.... that's a bit of a cop out.

I agree that they are good at selling to a mass market, but why do I care?

I'm a racer and want to know what makes each car that they build better than any other car.

McLaren

·
Registered
549 Posts
Scalextric have one major advantage in the market place - their name. Every dad who goes shopping with little Johnny is not looking for a slot car, they are looking for a scalextric car. This means that when they ask at the cash desk of their local toyshop for a Scelextric car, that is exactly what they will get - most shopkeepers do not have the time to spend time selling the benefits of other manufacturers when they have a guaranteed sale of a scalextric car.
'Slot Car' is a term used by enthusiasts: scalextric is a term used by every household that has a slot racing set - its like everyone has a hoover - no, they don't, they have a vacuum cleaner, it is just that everyone calls them hoovers.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE most shopkeepers do not have the time to spend time selling the benefits of other manufacturers

There are not any to sell.

For the British market and the size of the typical mousehole that we Brits live in Scalextric have the perfect offering. If you have a castle then you might consider Carrera. SCX are still offering sets with Classic track so no benefit there. Ninco are simply too noisy and mum would have to turn the sound of the telly up if little Jonny was running Ninco cars in the lounge and the Ninco crown gears would wear out in no time if my experiance is anything to go by so it then becomes a return.

As a toy Scalextric are ideal as the cars will still be running long after the last bit of detail has broken off. And the track has the fastest assembly and disassembly in the world.

Its only among the more serious Slotforum members that we even need to have this discussion!

Moped

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
QUOTE "What is the point about Scalextric that is better than any other manufacturer?"

QUOTE I'm a racer and want to know what makes each car that they build better than any other car.

You're moving the goalposts, make your mind up mate.

Rob

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Scalex excel at value for money; most of the cars are close to fly detail (the torino matches fly detail & finish imho) and around £27 (the £20 dallaras are astounding value, and they even do £15 range!)

To me their sport track is the best system around - this is a matter of taste, I have tried others, i like the qualities and design of this one most.

Scalex seem to excel at Quality Control, imho they are the most likely cars fine straight out of the box

I agree with diff - the Mustang is faster on my track than any Fly I have so far. Their Renault F1 (with new guide) is in my and other peoples opinions the fastest out of the box F1 available, and the Lola MG is another very fast magnet car.

They make a lot of cars

And they listen to what we like and don't like.

Fantastic company, if only they would get rid of moped, they would be perfect!!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
@mclaren - it does not make them better, it makes them more marketable and more popular.

QUOTE most shopkeepers do not have the time to spend time selling the benefits of other manufacturers

There are not any to sell.
Wake up.

QUOTE Its only among the more serious Slotforum members that we even need to have this discussion!
A serious comment would therefore be better moped, to enable you to be in this classification

Aaron

1 - 20 of 59 Posts