SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
I said what I think makes Scalextric the best manufacturer in another topic, but here it is again:

"Sure Fly has better detail, and other makes might run better (certainly without the magnet). But when looking at the detail level combined with the driveability out of the box, and then considering the price (around £26 for most standard models) I think Scalextric are the best buy."

In addition to this they also offer an extensive range of good quality spare parts for their cars.

Clearly Slot It is a strong contender, but I think their range is too limited at the moment. With a better selection of cars they might very well become my new favorite.

To be honest I don't see the point you are trying to make in this thread McLaren...
Do you mean why Scalextric is better for the average slotcar buyer, or are you waiting for someone to convince you that they are the best manufacturer for you?

André

·
Registered
800 Posts
One thing I like about Scalextric cars is that most of them work right out of the box. Revell and Carrera are a little bit better though, in my opinion. You wouldn't believe the number of 1/32nd cars I've had that did NOT work right out of the box. I don't mean race worthy, I mean move when you hit the trigger.

One of my friends was REALLY unfortunate. He bought seven cars, a mix of Fly and Scalextric, for himself and his two sons to play with. One worked. These were all brand new cars bought from a legitimate hobby shop a few hours drive from here. Six cars out of seven would not work without major tweaking from me. It was incredible. On the one Scalextric car that worked the guide flag was too wide for the slot.
Figure that one out, I couldn't. How in the world did they screw up a mold that only makes guide flags and nobody noticed at the factory? Look Bob, fat flags.

Unfortunately, in our small group of about six people, everyone had at least one dead car new out of the box. I had the best luck, my only awful car was a white Scalextric GT40 that the guide flag kept falling out of. Tweaked the tabs, pops out, stick in new flag, pops out. Later on the motor died
That was the best of the no good cars. The rest were a lot worse.

Warning, personal opinion follows...

I still think the greatest majority of these cars are a complete waste of money if you race. Yeah, they look great but looks won't get one of these things around the track for one lap. Never buy one of these things to race unless you're planning on tearing it down completely. If you're a collector then don't sweat it, they look great on the shelf.

End of opinion

I race them because my friends do. In my case, it really doesn't matter if they work or not because the first thing I do is tear the thing down and rebuild it. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I've taken an interest in scratch building chassis. Why? I'm hoping that I'll get good enough building my own chassis so that I can pass them out amongst my friends and they can bolt on their favorite body. Then I won't need to rebuild every new car out of the box so they can be raced.

I recently motorized a John Deere tractor for personal amusement. The tires and wheels on the tractor were round. This is a push toy and it has round wheels and tires. Why can't slot cars, which are actually supposed to move and maybe even move fast, have round wheels and tires from the factory? A toy designed for three year olds has round tires so it must be possible.

My favorite part of racing anything, and I will race anything, is making it better. However, I feel that if a product is sold as a racing slot car, it should at least move under its own power and have round wheels right out of the box. Now, if they sold them as push toys, I'd have no problem with egg shaped wheels, failing motors and jammed/bent axles. We haven't raced too much so far, no one but me has any cars that actually run
Even so, we are having motor failures. My GT40 lost its factory motor after about 40 laps on a 65' Revell track with a highly regulated military surplus power supply. In November we will actually start racing. I almost dread all the work in front of me because I'm the one that will be teaching them how to fix their cars or fixing the cars for them. I know perfectly well that for the first few race meets I won't be able to race since I'll be working on cars. I don't mind working on cars that get trashed from racing but when it's a brand new car that's never been on the track needing a new motor, axle, wheel etc...

Cripes, there I go again. I probably shouldn't reply to these queries

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
To answer Aaron:-

QUOTE most shopkeepers do not have the time to spend time selling the benefits of other manufacturers

There are not any to sell.

Aaron conveniantly forget to quote the full reply which included a constructive answer.

You have to be totally honest about this Aaron which you are not being. Where would most slot car stores and the hobby be in the UK without Hornby?

Exactly.

You do not knock the golden egg that feeds you.

QUOTE Its only among the more serious Slotforum members that we even need to have this discussion!

Just to clarrify the meaning of this for Aaron - "Serious" as in lacking common sense or humour, rather than "serious" as in dedicated slot car racer. A dedicated slot car racer would not even think about starting this type of thread.

Moped

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
QUOTE won't get one of these things around the track for one lap [in serious racing]

Depends on the track I guess...

Been to 2 pheonix events. One was a box-standard Fly car day, and the cars drove fantastically and provided great racing on the big 100 foot (or maybe bigger) track (ninco). Can't testify for other peoples cars, although in scrutineering they seemed ok, but I can say for sure that mine and Racy's were standard apart from oiling and tyre truing. 160 laps of hard racing in all.

The first was magnet racing I went to was at the same track, cars were allowed to be modified. Mine was a scalextric, more mags and slot-it motor, replaced tyres. But not too far off, and again it performed very well with original wheels, axles, guide etc.

And they all race great on home tracks too!

to moped:
QUOTE Where would most slot car stores and the hobby be in the UK without Hornby?

I have been to a couple of slot shops that do ninco and no scalextric at all

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
And that is because they stock a range of toy products offered by the distributer (The Hobby Company) in the UK of the Ninco slot car range. Even if Hornby knew the location of every toy store in the UK the Hornby terms to open an account may not suite him as a toy shop trader.

Did you ask the shopkeeper how his range of "Ninco only" product was selling?

My guess would be that once he gets his Spring sale out of the way next year he will not be restocking Ninco.

The shopkeeper needs "Scalextric" promotional material in his window to draw the punters in. Then he might sell a few Ninco bits and bobs on the back of folk walking through the door to purchase Scalextric kit, but only if the punter enquires what this Ninco thingy is or that SCX device when pointing to it.

Moped

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Interesting question.

I don't think they need to be best at anything, what is important is they are market leaders in what they do and they have the great advantage of the "generic" name for home Slotcars.

There products are aimed at a far wider target audience than say Fly, so their range of cars doesn't appeal to everyone., but what's more important is that they will appeal to someone, and sell very well.

They can make very good cars, the MG Lolas, Mustangs, Corvettes, Listers are fine products.

Their track is very good, although optimised for magnet cars, I personally would prefer more traction .

I'm not really sure where Scalextric are going, and I don't think they are 100% sure.
There are some areas of concern starting to emerge.

The Website is appalling, a great example to student web designers of how no to do it. The logic used in the Search Engine is pitiful.

Although a great idea in principle their MOTOGP bikes need a lot of development work.

I'm not sure where they are going on the guide front as if they are not very careful they will lose the scale collectors/ racers of this world. Especially important in relation to the Historic Series they are releasing.

I have no experience on Digital, but I wish them well with it. On paper, because of the backwards compatability issue, theirs would seem to offer most to existing users.

Other makes offer serious competition, Fly cars are superb, but they must be careful they don't price themselves out of the market, Carrea, Ninco and SCX all have good product ranges and are improving their quality all the time. Slot.it are also very good, although they do seem to have quality control problems.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Moped, with all due respect (and we all know how much that is!)

I have previously prooved that scalex are no good for any market.

They sell on the brand name. Thats all.
I know people who have got "scalextric" and then when they have seen some of my cars have actually said there much better than Scalex and that includes proslot and ninco!

So er end of story really

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
proved where?

Just because Moped makes some wild inflamatory and at times absurd claims does not make EVERYTHING he says wrong.

Scalex have won polls on here and on pendles forum, and a lot of people do think that they excel in a number of ways, in this very thread.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
In every poll on SCI and at Slotforum where there are many mature folk who form an independent opinion Scalextric have always come out on top as being the favourite all round product.

Intergrale is the "King Canute" of Slotforum.

Moped

·
Premium Member
5,690 Posts
QUOTE "What is the point about Scalextric that is better than any other manufacturer?"

Coming late to this thread, someone said it before me, their name, simply their name. It's synonymous with the 'model car that runs in a slot' concept, certainly here in the UK, and for a long time they peddled rubbish on the strength of it but then they had no competition to speak of.

I was tempted to say that that is what they continue to do (based on product I have bought and product I have had a go with - MotoGP) but that is a tad, only a tad, unfair as they have come a long way recently, they need to go a bit further to swing little old me (they should focus on the core, the cars, not getting folks into cyber-slots and such.) But their tampo work is excellent.

QUOTE Its only when club racers start pulling them apart and doing there own thing that things go pear shaped!

A sample of the Scalextric fare that I have bought in the last two years or so; four GT-40s, two arrived in the post with bits loose in the box; one Merc CLK that lost a lens as I took it apart (to have a look) and discovered it had precious little holding it in place other than prayers; one L88 which rubbed its rears on the bodywork and refused to come apart cleanly until I applied a large dollop of ignorance to it.

Their product is too fast, relies totally upon the mugnut and is too frail for my liking.

[Edit]
QUOTE someone deleted my poll and scaved it for themselves!

That'll be me then! Hey, I got a reputation to think of, it was ages since I last shut off a thread
But you missed out to many brands, Inte.

·
Premium Member
5,690 Posts
Ooh, ooh. Just popped in on the Mod forum and saw the deleted polls. Seems it wasn't me after all.

Guys, you need to calm down and remember that mostly, we are grown men arguing about what the rest of society call, toy cars.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
tehehe.... look what I've started....

QUOTE Just to clarrify the meaning of this for Aaron - "Serious" as in lacking common sense or humour, rather than "serious" as in dedicated slot car racer. A dedicated slot car racer would not even think about starting this type of thread.

Wow, that sounds like a pointless personal insult. What grounds do you have to make a statement like that? You are not a dedicated slot racer. You are a slot trundler. You do not race, as you have told us many times. So how can you say this?

QUOTE I don't think they need to be best at anything

Neither do I. I simply asked what they WERE best at.

QUOTE Just because Moped makes some wild inflamatory and at times absurd claims does not make EVERYTHING he says wrong.

I agree. What makes "EVERYTHING he says wrong" is his extremely limited knowledge. By his own admission he is not a club racer, so he cannot identify with or speak for them. He also tends to 'chat ****e' because he hopes bigging up Hornby will increase their share prices and therefore his personal wealth.

QUOTE Intergrale is the "King Canute" of Slotforum.

All hale King Inte!!!!!!

QUOTE Scalextric came top in the competition for best brand I held so Moped has a point.

Anyone else notice a LOT of new members sign up when the poll opened...?

QUOTE Guys, you need to calm down and remember that mostly, we are grown men arguing about what the rest of society call, toy cars.

Firstly, you are grown men. I am a teenager.
Secondly, THEY ARE NOT TOY CARS!!!!!!!

McLaren

21 - 40 of 59 Posts