SlotForum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE What makes "EVERYTHING he says wrong" is his extremely limited knowledge

If you say so. I would rather have my extremely limited knowledge than your infinitely superior knowledge any day!

Moped

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE If you say so. I would rather have my extremely limited knowledge than your infinitely superior knowledge any day!

Tell me then Moped, if that is your real name....

Where have you amassed your knowledge from?

I have been home racing for nearly 14 years, and club racing for the last 6 years. In the last six years I have been travelling to other clubs and major events.

I think I'd know by name at least 6 out of 10 of the best racers in Briton, and have met hundreds of people since I have started. Each one has imparted a small part of their knowledge to me.

This is coupled with my desire to read, and improve my knowledge led to me joining this (and others) site and purchasing ten's of books on slot racing.

I am by no means the most knowledgable on this forum. I know that I'm "blowing my own trumpet" a bit here, and I feel a bit stupid saying it, but being a home racer, I really can't see how YOU could possibly have a greater knowledge of this hobby than I. Unless you are lying to us all and you have been more involved in the sport than just a wee home racer for merely a year or two?

So which is it?

McLaren

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You are the one blowing your own trumpet McLaren and now you are asking me to justify your superior knowledge. Your knowledge if of a different type to mine and it is this sharing of knowledge that makes slot car message boards what they are.

If we all had the same knowledge then Slotforum would be a very boring place woudn't it!

Tell me what you know about Airfix, Minic and Wrenn slot cars?

Features and discussion on the history and collectibility of slot cars are of greater interest to me than the tuning of slot cars. I find pure tuning articles to be honest boring and not relevent for the home racer. Like many folk the advances made by Scalextric in the last few years has drawn me back to the hobby again and as a bonus the kids are old enough to have a bit of fun at home also. Goodies like Challenger and Pacer also help.

Why do all club racers assume they have a superior knowledge?

They may do about club racing but ultimately home racing is far more important to all slot car companies and much of the knowledge of club racers is not relevent for the home racer. The home racer likes to have fun in his own world that he has created and the internet has enabled the home racer to share his experiences to the betterment of home racing in general.

Could you create a landscape, or design a home circuit to accomodate certain dimensional parameters?

The internet has bought home racers together and the discussions that home racers have about track layouts and scenery and lap times are of far more interest to me than a discussion on club tricks and cheats.

Have you taken part in internet racing McLaren? How about sharing your knowledge on that?

Moped

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
moped ,mclaren please keep your arguments over who is the most knowlegeable to PMs or email I think weve all had enough of this playground banter .Get the thread back on line or I'll lock it
Moped perhaps you could share your knowledge of the airfix /wren etc and may be mclaren some racing tips.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
In fact I was simply saying 'this is where my knowledge has come from, tell me how someone who has been racing at home for a year can know more' and you have. Because you haven't been a slot racer for just a year. If you know about these older cars, then you must have been involved years ago, and possibly had a break inbetween.

QUOTE but being a home racer, I really can't see how YOU could possibly have a greater knowledge of this hobby than I. Unless you are lying to us all and you have been more involved in the sport than just a wee home racer for merely a year or two?

So in fact all you had to say was: I have been involved in the hobby for more than a year, and I wouldn't have doubted that you may be intellegent after all....

@ Graham - I'll try to ignore him, but it's so hard for me to let someone spread intruths about the hobby.

McLaren

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Your point concerning validating points is a fair one. As the forum develops I believe that the members can make up their own mind as to who talks sense, vice versa too. We have covered this topic before and I`m sure it was suggested that there is a line between fact based posts and opinions. That being correct, state your case without trying to validate it to the point where you become frustrated, is my advice. Otherwise a valid point that becomes agitated and abrasive loses sympathy. Put another way...we are with you bruv!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm just disenchanted that through 4 pages of this thread, more people didn't bash the "Carrera is the best track" statement in the opening post.

THAT (#$*&#($*&(*#$&#(*$&# LINE

pupkick

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hope its not too late to add a sensible comment to this topic.......

Perhaps Scaley should be seen as an entry level system into the wonderful and varied world of slot cars.

I doubt very much that I was the first and I certainly wont be the last to have been amazed by the "new" Scaley cars at the local toy shop and in an effort to re-capture the thrills and spills of Scaley from my youth I bought a Scalextric set.
Incredibly the track goes together dead easy and the cars stick to the track a lot better than I ever remember (still oblivious to the mag at this point).
I am instantly hooked on the better than ever Scalextric and as I try to learn more about the hobby I discover SCI and then SlotForum. At that very moment I realise that this hobby is HUGE. Different track systems, car manufacturers, fabulous scratch builders, accessories, racing without mags (bugger I thought I had just got better with age), tuning and upgrading, it really is HUGE !!

Thanks to good old Scaley I now have my semi-permanent Sport track set up in the spare room. I regularly run my Slot.It Porsches and Audi, ProSlot Toyota, Fly Daytona, Carrera 911 and Ninco Healey all through my Prof Motor controllers.

So what are Scaley best at ?........bringing new people into the hobby.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
WAYHEY!!!!!!

I've got to say that I think that was the best answer so far! And you cannot dispute it.

Well done Mark, have succeded in not angering me whilst giving an answer, well done!

McLaren

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
Yup. If I stop and think about it, most of any new punters who turn up at the club bring their own cars, their own Scalextric cars. The doors to a whole new world of other brands is then held open for them.

Spot on, GB.

·
Gary Skipp
6,516 Posts
Sorry to join late,

My answer would be out of the box running (cars). Beats ninco certainly OTB, ninco wheels are always untrue. I'm not talking about home tracks either. When I first went club racing I used mostly scaleys which had been completely untouched and they performed much better than un-touched ninco, fly and scx. Both magged and non. Without, I'll admit they had no grip but they still kept in the slot and still kept up/powered past on the straights.

Out the box, perhaps more 'reliability' than performance, meaning you know it will be fine out the box. Not mind-blowing, but good enough.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
QUOTE Beats ninco certainly OTB, ninco wheels are always untrue

My, my... We have another Moped on our hands....

Please justify this statement. Alway untrue? Don't say stuff that just isn't true... (no pun intended)

McLaren

·
Gary Skipp
6,516 Posts
Justification:

They are never round.

Understand?

I prefer a ninco once its been messed with, dont get me wrong. But scaley is best for those who like it straight out the box.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm also joining in late.

Scalextric offers a wide range of products but if they disappeared from the US I don't think anyone would miss them. There are better and cheaper alternatives for both cars and tracks in the US. Scalextric has excellent products but there are a lot of very attractive alternatives to choose from.

McLaren does make some good points. Scalextric does not do any one thing better than anybody else. The one thing that they had that was better they aren't doing anymore... NASCARs. I know nobody wants to hear that but NASCAR is RACING in the US right now. I'm not a huge fan of big time auto wrestling but they are dominating the media coverage. More importantly the NASCARs are excellent slot cars, even for beginners, they ar fun to race and very very tough.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.