SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have seen released material of upcoming SSD and given information leaves at least one question:

Has anyone seen/heard that fourlane racing would be possible with SSD? Will they make one lane curves and adapters if LC's are placed between 2nd and 3rd lane?

Also i'm wondering what kind of sync the system needs if 3rd and 4th lane is added? It would be easy if those optical sensors for lapcounter would be paraller and there would be option to add two more sensors like "plug and play" (let's just assume that there would be option to add more PSU's so that 12 cars keeps running in case they have planned to release 4 lane version..) But if two powerbases will be needed then somekind of sync option will be needed also.

Guesses? Heard facts? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

:Sami

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
A couple of months ago Scalextric said that they definately had no immediate plans to make a 4 lane system or parts.

If they eventually make LCs for straight sections (they only make LC's on curves at the moment), then it should be relatively simple to convert these to join lane 2 & 3 instead of 1 & 2 / 3 & 4.

As far as lapcounting, if you are doing it yourself: With a lanechangeing system, it does not ALL have to be 4 lanes. So your layout could narrow to 2 lanes for the lap counting section.

However the 6 car limit is likely to be written into the software, and how much current they are allowed to put on one rail (with 4 lanes, you really just have one long lane) so both a scalextric version or a do-it-yourself conversion will only allow for 6 cars

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
QUOTE 1 - slot cars deslot a lot (sorry) - the downside of the much more exciting racing afforded by digital (or MCPL, as we try to call it) will no doubt be even more deslotting. The rule of thumb is that you need as many corner marshals as racers

2 - shunting (front-to-rear collisions) - this is obviously a new factor introduced by MCPL, widely recognized as the main question mark on its viability. Saying that it's up to the driver is not enough if you envision formalized racing - Davic is used just for endurance races, and you have race umpires there !

3 - the distance between successive LCs (turnouts) must allow the follower to make up for the initial lag and pass - this means that minimum track length should be about 20 m

4 - you need specialized track pieces - LCs clearly, but also a working pit lane and reslotting stations after nearly every curve. Routing these is no problem, but on a larger scale you effectively depend on what manufacturers deign to dish out

All this entails that the practical limit for 99% of users is 6 cars - for which a 2 lane track is sufficient. By luck, this dovetails nicely with what manufacturers (who, let's not forget it, aim exclusively at the "toy" market) are foreseeing, so the sequence appears to be : analog home track / digital home track with limited facilities / full blown club track . This leaves out endurance races, where Davic caters satisfactorily to 15 cars on 4/6 lanes

It's downright rude to be self-referential, but this contention of mine hasn't been challenged yet

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
not exactly sure what point you are making for this thread, xlot.

QUOTE a 2 lane track is sufficient

I tend to agree that 2 is SUFFICIENT, although 3 or 4 lanes sounds more FUN!!!!!

as for 20m between LCs - a lot of people's whole tracks are 10-18 meters long, so we can't have any LC's? Not sure where you came up with this distance from!

When its available I intend to have a lot of LCs if I can afford it, for more flexibility of where to change lane, and to enable o achoice of outer or inner lane on bends etc. If it turns out you are right, I will sell the spare LCs on ebay!

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Hi Astro,

now don't you too tell me I'm off-topic - I'm still taken aback by the reaction I got on the other thread !!

I'm saying you need about 20 m track length, or about 10 m between LCs. This is what I found when designing my own track, in order to comply with point 3). If you have less, the car in front will change-and-cover before the one behind has a chance to pull abreast (just look at how close qualifying lap times are)
Obviously, I've only run one car on half a track so far, so for the moment it's just a judgement

Another consideration is that LCs not only cost money, they'll also have a certain reliability - which means the more you have, the higher the chances of one breaking down during a championship final

Lastly, I'm deeply skeptical of this "racing line" driving, unless it's automatic (a' la BLST) - my reflexes may be long gone, but I do believe that you'll be faster by concentrating on your pace and changing lane only when you absolutely have to

That is why I'm saying that your available money and space are best invested in a longer 2 laner - and I suspect it's the same consideration manufacturers are making

Ciao
Beppe

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes,

I agree that two lanes will be fun. Actually most of the time we are racing on two lane circuit. However it would be fun to add fourlane sections to two lane track and offcourse the pit straight.

It might be also that some beautiful day we are building a club track which should have option for digital and traditional analog setup (digital mode should be able to handle at least 12 cars). However, i'm sure that some nice solution will be found for 4 lane digital/analog setup. One option is to design own digital system. Since lordjw (julius) is working in same busines than i, we have had many plans around digital slotracing but it is too sad that both of us has to work daily so there hasn't been enough energy for hobbies
(it's always easy to plan but taking it further is bigger problem in every hobby
). Anyway it will be quite interesting to see Scalextrics system when it comes out.

Thanks for update!

Regards:

Sami

·
Registered
522 Posts
Digital Solves the biggest problem with standard slots and that is the abilty to have more than two people on a standard layout.

4 Lane club tracks are difficult to construct and change around.

Now a club can switch up their layout frequently and increase running length.

There are obviously details to be worked out:

*Rear end collisions: Might be handled by placing additional front/rear sensors in car and forcing deceleration. More likely, people will develop a high degree of skill and with like matched cars will not be as much of a problem. Sure you wont want kids and beginners on the track with you.

*Compatibilty: I think manufacturers will offer conversion kits, but if one club runs carrera and another scalectric there will be concerns.

Im really looking forward to it, even if the implementation isnt perfect, over time we will see it evolve. BTW, a digital system can be used without LCs to simulate old-fashied style racing for the newbies.

I'm still waiting for Carreras offering. The only problem is that most of my FLY collection will not work, but then i dont race most of them anyway.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE Digital Solves the biggest problem with standard slots and that is the ability to have more than two people on a standard layout.
It undeniably does but, in solving one problem, it automatically introduces some substitute problems of its own, which many people feel outweigh the original problem!
That's the rub.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts