SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got one of the new Scalextric Audi TTs. The silver one. It has run just fine in the past. I added some lead to the bottom of the chassis to help keep it nailed down (for use on non-mag tracks) and that has been the only modification. It has seen some light oil on the bearings and the pinion gear, but there is still white grease on the gearing.

The car has de-slotted and rolled a few times, but no accidents I would call serious.

Suddenly, it is starting to make a distinct clicking sound. Previously, its only sound was a high-pitched whine from the motor.

Opening it up and looking around, the drive shaft on the motor shows some play -- perhaps 1/32 of an inch... not sure what that would be in metric... maybe 1 mm -- back and forth, but the gears are nicely meshed at all extremes of the play. I don't know if this play always existed or is a recent thing. The motor itself seems firmly mounted.

Is this noise from the play? Is it harmful? Is there a solution? Is there a balm in Gilead and, if so, what flavor is it?

I have also read that these are great cars to re-motor. If I get to the point of exchanging the motor, what would be a good choice? And... to throw in another question... does anyone know the RPMs of the stock Scalextric motor in the Audi TT/Porsche Boxster cars?

Thanks for any advice or insight.

Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts
QUOTE I've got one of the new Scalextric Audi TTs. The silver one. It has run just fine in the past. I added some lead to the bottom of the chassis to help keep it nailed down (for use on non-mag tracks) and that has been the only modification. It has seen some light oil on the bearings and the pinion gear, but there is still white grease on the gearing.
Suddenly, it is starting to make a distinct clicking sound. Previously, its only sound was a high-pitched whine from the motor.
Does the clicking sound occur if you lift the cars rear wheels? just run the engine and allow the rear wheels to freewheel. Or is it only when running around the track?
My Proslot toyota started doing it - I found it to be the guide being to deep for the slot and the bottom of the blade was catching the bottom of the slot.... Once the brushes had run in a while, it allowed the car to dip further into the slot and catch the bottom.

QUOTE Opening it up and looking around, the drive shaft on the motor shows some play -- perhaps 1/32 of an inch... not sure what that would be in metric... maybe 1 mm -- back and forth, but the gears are nicely meshed at all extremes of the play. I don't know if this play always existed or is a recent thing. The motor itself seems firmly mounted.Is this noise from the play? Is it harmful? Is there a solution? Is there a balm in Gilead and, if so, what flavor is it?
Ive known motors to have play in them, but its not that hard to fix. Take a tight fitting shim... open the engine up, slip the shim over the end of the prop - move it to the desired length and put the motor back togethor... might need a tutorial that one.

QUOTE And... to throw in another question... does anyone know the RPMs of the stock Scalextric motor in the Audi TT/Porsche Boxster cars?
Standard scaley Mabouchi.... about 18000 rpm.... a tricked up one, can go to about 24000 rpm.
Oz- Race do some that will fit rated to about 24000, Proslot do the Evo range that can go as a direct replacement.

Scaleauto - SCO5 - I have heard is a good engine... rated to about 30,000 rpm

Hope this helps -

Cheers
CoolS

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cool. That does indeed help. I hadn't thought about the slot guide hitting. I'll check it out at the next opportunity... this Sunday at club races.

Hmmm. Not sure that I have the necesssaries to crack open the motor. It sounds like this little bit of play is not the fault. But the motor upgrade sounds interesting sometime in the future. I believe you opined in the thread on what was faster than a Scalextric MG Lola that it might be a Scalextric Audi TT with a motor turning over 20,000. They're nice little cars at a very decent price.

Does the Porsche Boxster that completes the set have the same good characteristics?

Thanks again Cool.

Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts
I got the opportunity to race both this weekend at Pendle on a digital circuit, and they both performed equally and pretty well for box standard. However - I dont see either as stunningly quick. I have a Lola, as yet, still never left the box, and I havent driven a car on plastic track for over a year, so I've really got a feel for how quick it was....

Ive yet to see a scaley car (non mag), apart from my jordan F1, thats remotly even compatative with a Proslot Nissan GT1. I did read the other thread, but didnt comment as I felt it not right, that Ive never raced one or against one...

From my experience, which is routed circuits, the fastest car Ive ever driven is a Slot it audi R8C, followed closely by an SCX R8C.

I also think my perception of the Audi TT is as a budget car, (both in 1:1 and slot cars) as a bit of poor taste really on my part. I have a personal dislike of the TT in 1:1 and it transpires to slot cars unfortunalty. The car is on a looser before I even drive one... shame really, but thats my taste.

I will have to reserve judgement until I really get to mess with it, which wont be long. Apols for taking this abit of line, and apols again for being a bit "open" and "closed" minded..

CoolS

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (CoolScientist @ 11 Nov 2004, 19:40)I also think my perception of the Audi TT is as a budget car, (both in 1:1 and slot cars) as a bit of poor taste really on my part. I have a personal dislike of the TT in 1:1 and it transpires to slot cars unfortunalty. The car is on a looser before I even drive one... shame really, but thats my taste.

I will have to reserve judgement until I really get to mess with it, which wont be long. Apols for taking this abit of line, and apols again for being a bit "open" and "closed" minded..

CoolS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No need to apologize at all Cool. At least you're "minded"! "Mindedness" seems in short supply these days. And a lot comes down to taste and qualitative issues.

For whatever reason, I'm on the opposite side of the Audi TT fence. I like the TT and probably want the slot car to be better than it is. I do perceive it as definitely a budget car. But then... I'm on a budget. LOL.

The Audi R8Cs have certainly ruled at all of the club races I've seen in which they ran. (Routed track, non-magnetic.)

I did see a Scalextric Audi TT with a motor upgrade run on a commercial track and it seemed very fast indeed... but it wasn't head to head with the Slot.IT or SCX Audis... and it was on a magnet track.

It would be interesting to see someone really quantify the best performing cars by class and on mag or non-mag tracks. Hmmm. We'll talk all of the manufacturers into "donating" a car for testing... test them... and thereby increase our car collections. A passing thought.

Always appreciate your insight and advice Cool.

Mike

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Working out the 'best' car is probably not possible - especially if you allow setting up of the cars! (the combinations become astronomical with different tyres, motors, weights etc - and basically complying to different club rules)

The reason is there are too many factors - for a start, percentage of curves to straights, radii of various curves etc. A car with a good top speed will be better on a flowing wide oval with good straights, a car with better cornering will be better on a twisty track...

I expect some cars prefer flat tracks, others might shine on hilly ones!

Different brands of plastic track favour different cars and different setups (track smoothness, slot depth & width, lumpiness of track joins etc)

And it also depends on the driver, some drivers prefer twitchy responsive cars, others prefer smoother better handling cars for their best lap times.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drat! You're right, of course, Astro. But now I have to stop composing those letters requesting free slot cars.

Mike

·
Gary Skipp
6,507 Posts
I run my TT quite loose and the body vibrations alone cause it to 'clack'

Otherwise its a rocket. Glue everything in, it wont do any harm, good chances of making it better.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (LMP04 @ 13 Nov 2004, 05:35)I run my TT quite loose and the body vibrations alone cause it to 'clack'

Otherwise its a rocket. Glue everything in, it wont do any harm, good chances of making it better.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The body is on tight... perhaps too tight. Nothing is glued in. I'll do that. Would brass wheel bearings help... or are the nylon perfectly serviceable?

Have you swapped in another motor LMP... or are you running the stock motor? Glad to hear that it's a rocket for someone. To me, that seems its potential... though I think CoolS is correct, it won't be the fastest thing out there.

Thanks.

Mike

·
Gary Skipp
6,507 Posts
Stock motor, but run in. I give it ten minutes on each voltage from 4 to 12V increasing 1 volt each ten minutes. Any additional wheel/tyre truing I do at either 9V for motors around 20k, and at 7.5V for more powerful motors. Hope that makes sense

Slacken the screws about two full turns, see if that helps. Remember some tape on the holes in case they work themselves loose!

Nylon bushes seem fine. Tiny drop of superglue where the bush meets the cup should keep em in place. Use something like evo-stick or bostik for the motor.

Just a thought, how have you fixed the lead? It might be that 'jumping' around instead the cars that causes the clacking.

On a magnet track the TT should be a front runner. Its just so light with no interior. Not much to beat it, even the low LMP cars depending on the driver.

I would also stongly recoomend you get a different car for non magnet racing. The Slot.It R8C, ProSlot Toyota GT1 and anything that has a 'racing' version (Fly, Spirit etc) should be suitable. Then, take all the wieght out of your TT and keep it for magnet racing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts