SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what to do to a scalextric caterham7 (not lotus7) but i had a go on one and i wiill soon be buying my own, i am looking to turn it into my fastest car i own. suggestions? at the moment, the car to beat is an almost stock lola, all its had done to it is a button mag up front, can this be done???

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, its a nice car as stock, but i want to get loooooooooaaaaaaaaadddddddddddddssssssssssss of power into it, i love little cars, like my scx 206, but the 206 feels soo underpowered so i want to stick a massisve motor inthe caterham, possibly with a slotit axel kit (if they make little wheels to fit a caterham) and put a cylinder mag in the back, probbably a scaleauto one

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The 7even already has more power than it can handle - naturally, because it has exactly the same motor as any other Scalextric car.

I would do nothing to it and race it against similar cars. But if you really want to turn it into a monster, the simplest first step is to boost magnetic attraction to similar levels enjoyed by other 'fast' Scaleys.

One way is to add a small tweaker type magnet where the "display case mounting" hole is (front of the motor) on the chassis, cutting away as necessary so that it recesses flush with the chassis. Allegedly it will then grip as well as the Scaley Trans Ams.

Alternatively, dig out the existing magnet and, again drilling and gouging as necessary, replace the existing magnet with the biggest most brutal barsteward you can squeeze in!

But it's daft imho!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what about sticking the 35k in the caterham
think about it, that hooked up with a mmrc cylinder................. the car would go sooo quick on a circuit, and drag......wellll need i say more, the thing would be a motor with an axel and a mag stapped to it, it would be really light as well

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Not starting the debate again, but a magnet would slow a properly tuned car in a straight line... Having a super fast caterham is pointless, why don't you just race HO, where all of the cars go practically the same and are blinding out of the box?

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
Why not get a Professor Motor controller, and then you won't need to worry about the ohms then. I purchased two direct from the Professor himself last October via mail order (£30 each plus £6 total shipping costs).

Getting back to the Caterham debate, you will get more power by having less magnets to hold it back. Being a light car anyway, I think it is perfectly set up straight from the box. Power combined with reasonable handling.

Always get the handling right first before improving the power.

M

·
Registered
356 Posts
In the 1:1 world the Caterham the Caterham isn't about big power and top speeds it is a slidable very controllable little car it doesn't have big power (in the majority of cases). Why not try this with your Scaley version. You will become a much better racer if you can get the hang of controlled drifting with this little beauty.

I have 2 Caterhams Scaley (once owned a westie 1;1) i took the buttons mags out of mine trued the tyres and oiled them and they are great fun as they slide in a controlled manner around the corners, Fantastic.

Wayne

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im a big fan if the 1:1 caterham, its one of my fav cars ever...... im thinking of a v12 (26k) geared for accell, leave the axel alone and try it with a cylinder, the real thing can 0-60 0.1 sec slower than the mclaren f1 (road car) or so i have read! gr8 little car!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts