SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been discussed before but I haven't found any reference.

I had intended to replace all my Scaley track pieces with Sport but, after trying my brother's new Sport set, I get the feeling that the older track has more grip.

I like the idea of a smooth track and everything fitting well but I do like to get around the bends without too many offs.

I have tried a routed track but I like the idea of a change every now and then so a custom layout is not on.

I know I could use converter pieces to keep the best features of both but, as one end of my current circuit is all chicane (which would be okay if it were a bit slippery but these pieces aren't available in Sport) that only leaves the straights so it isn't really feasible.

Will Scaley chicane bits be available in Sport at some time, I wonder.

Cheers

·
Registered
474 Posts
My view after trying both for abou 2 years now i think that Sport is my favorite, i get enough grip on the straights and cant stress how muck i love to drift on the corners i even tried a 720 degree elevation with sport and floored it all the way up drifting to my hearts content...anyway enough of the memories, depending on were you want the grip use the converters. What i would do if i could would be to have scalextric classic on the straights for straight line grip for those quick gataways then sport corners for the all important drifting! of the opposite of that if you wanted it?

Doug

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I'd suggest that Ninco or Carrera meet the spec that you require. Both are quite grippy and both fit together extremely well.

McLaren

·
Registered
32 Posts
QUOTE (tibius181 @ 11 Oct 2004, 19:28)My view after trying both for abou 2 years now i think that Sport is my favorite, i get enough grip on the straights and cant stress how muck i love to drift on the corners i even tried a 720 degree elevation with sport and floored it all the way up drifting to my hearts content...anyway enough of the memories, depending on were you want the grip use the converters. What i would do if i could would be to have scalextric classic on the straights for straight line grip for those quick gataways then sport corners for the all important drifting! of the opposite of that if you wanted it?

Doug

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

720 degree elevation? Hmmm

Do you like to flip your track around twice before drifting on it?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
in my opinion, Carrera is even less grippy than scalextric sport! ninco the most grippy, then classic, then sport. I have scalex sport and love the track surface, no complaints here.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Surely grip is down to the tyres used and the amount of downforce or weight.

You can enjoy a very controlled slide on track that has a SPORT type surface without coming off or even sliding given the right set up.

Really we need to know more about your driving style and how you like to run your cars.

You have said that you like to vary your circuits and so SPORT has a big advantage as it is compact for the home user with a large range of different track types and a complete set of inner and outer track borders permitting track action with track that can be quickly assembled.

And your brother already has Scalextric track and so the two types could be easily combined when you get together to form mega circuits.

As you are from Australia it may be that other options are not readily available.

AussieCapri wants to discuss SPORT v Classic so why are we going of at a tangent and talking about other brands?
This may not be helpful for him.

Moped

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
In my opinion grip is about the surface too.

The thread topic is classic V Sport so if I dismiss the best option (Ninco) then I`d rather choose classic because it is grippy and more robust and in my experience gives better electtrical continuity. It`s always going to be down to personal choice of course and as Mope suggested concerning grip, tyres play an important part.

Assuming you want to compare performance of a standard car, say a Scaley F1 then I think they run better on a surface with somr textured grip. For non mag racing you may want a smoother surface. Again, making assumptions here that you are racing at home? Otherwise the answer would be wooden routed track!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE The thread topic is classic V Sport so if I dismiss the best option (Ninco)

It may be the best option for you Jonny and your club but it may not be the best option for AussieCapri and his circumstances. Thats why we need to know more. Ninco is not great for magnet racers as it creates far too much magnet drag with box standard cars even compared to Classic. Ninco cars do have some of the weakest box standard magnets around and so their cars box standard will naturally run better on Ninco track. But put a box standard Scaley on it (popular in OZ because of the Scaley OZ V8 racers) and there will be noticable magnet drag. Place it on SPORT track box standard and it runs very well as you would expect.

The Aussies, like the Americans, love their magnets.

Moped

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Hi AussieCapri

Just to make things a little more tricky for you:

You may want to consider SCX track.

Basically it's Scalextric Classic (slightly rougher surface - more grip?), but recently they have released a number of new track sections (Le Mans start, cross overs on the curve, sliding curve etc).

It's completely compatible with your (brothers) Scalextric classic, but has the advantage of being available new.

I plan to use this along with Classic Scalextric track for my home track.

With so much track around (second hand/ebay/etc) it's probably best to set yourself up a small track (basic oval) and see which one you like. Buy a Scalextric Sport to Classic converter and then you can mix and match between sport/classic and SCX. Oh and you can use a Ninco to classic converter as well just to make it even more difficult!

Try before you buy!

Gareth

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
QUOTE The Aussies, like the Americans, love their magnets.

sweeping statement Mope I know lots of ausies and americans who wouldnt touch a mag car and just as many uk drivers who wouldnt be with out them . You just cant generalise like that with out sounding daft.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Magnet drag? What utter nonsense mate. We put Scaley standard magnet cars around our track at warp speed, there is certainly no disadvantage. The fastest car around or circuit is a Scaley MG Lola (at the mo
). Also I should point out that Phoenix ran on Scaley classic for years and we chose Ninco for our new circuit because it is a big improvement on Classic.

I was thinking from the point of view of a track at home, as I did highlight. Mope you need to understand that club racers are home racers too mate. I`ve had a Ninco home set and a classic track for years. But to keep on topic, then I`d choose classic over Sport.

The point about Ninco cars is a fair point but not relevant to this topic as we are discussing track options, though your point concerning the magnet is true.

The point regarding SCX track is sound too and there are some brilliant deals floating around.

I haven`t banged on about Sport track disadvantages because I have a very firm opinion that it is rubbish. That`s my view based on my own experience and I firmly believe that Scalextric have taken a backwards step in track design.

·
Registered
32 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 11 Oct 2004, 21:57)QUOTE The thread topic is classic V Sport so if I dismiss the best option (Ninco)

It may be the best option for you Jonny and your club but it may not be the best option for AussieCapri and his circumstances. Thats why we need to know more. Ninco is not great for magnet racers as it creates far too much magnet drag with box standard cars even compared to Classic. Ninco cars do have some of the weakest box standard magnets around and so their cars box standard will naturally run better on Ninco track. But put a box standard Scaley on it (popular in OZ because of the Scaley OZ V8 racers) and there will be noticable magnet drag. Place it on SPORT track box standard and it runs very well as you would expect.

The Aussies, like the Americans, love their magnets.

Moped
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dont comment on what you dont know moped, most (but not all) of Australian commercial and club tracks are wodden routed and non-magnet, and even on magnet tracks non-magnet nc1 racing is very popular over here.

Just look
Here
and here

·
Registered
146 Posts
To answer the original question, I think you will be pleased with Sport track. I have had both tracks and there is a slight difference between the two in terms of grip but it's more important how dusty it is and also how new, as new track will pick-up rubber and gain a bit of grip over time. The Sport track with it's deep guide slot is a huge improvement over the Classic track but for some reason there are no deep guides yet for the cars designed for it!

I believe that Oz is one of the three countries that has Artin 1/32 scale tracks as hobby items with full support of extra track and parts. For someone that would like to revise their layout the intelligent Artin system (which seems to be copied from Revell) makes it ridiculsly easy to "complete the loop" of the track and weird lenghts of straight are not needed. Artin's system lets a certain number of curves replace a certain number of straight sections, this makes it very easy to modify or add to any existing track. It is brilliant! If anyone needs anymore than Artin provides they should be routing their own track. I recommned checking into Artin but the bottom line is that you will be pleased with the Sport track.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I hear what old_skool and GRAH1 have to say.

Why don't you ask the local Australian distributer if he wants Scalextric to reduce the downforce in their cars?

Moped

Moderation Note
Because it has damn all to do with this topic.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
As far as magnet drag goes it definitely exists on Ninco track and is not nonsense. You have non standard power at Phoenix Jonny as do a lot of other clubs. If you are going to turn the power up then it will be less noticable but it is present never the less. With standard power as supplied in the sets then it is very noticable. That was my downfall with my Trans Am cars and even with my Fly Viper. Than ran superbly on my Sport track but as soon as they were placed on Ninco track they were c**p because they just would not move even with club power settings. The following week at Wrexham they were superb performers until the Slot.It motor blew up!

I ended up with borrowed cars at Phoenix on both occasions and only then did I start scoring points. In a way clubs that run Sport track have got it right. If you run on Ninco track day in day out then you modify the cars accordingly but with box standard cars they do not transfer that well from Sport to Ninco. In fact Ninco track has very little support webbing underneath and so any heavy magnet car will actually push the track down making the effect of magnet drag worse. Senior enthusiasts have shown me this so it is not up for argument. It is simply a poorly designed track for magnet users.

Ninco is OK when running without magnets or light magnets but when running with heavier magnets it makes for a very inconsistent performance.

Moped

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Well all I can say is it`s still nonsense. I am at our club seven days a week, we use every type of car going, I see endless amou nt of kids open up a new car put it straight on the track and away they go. I can tell you this much, any magnet car needs to be properly tuned in that it is a case of getting the magnet at the correct height for optimum grip and power. If you do not set the car up correctly then the magnet can be too close or too far away from the rails giving problems of too much or too little downforce/speed.

The track being sucked up or pushed down? Only when I clean the track with a Dyson
What utter and complete nonsense Mope. Sorry mate but call in and I`ll show you. Good grief, just come bloody racing and we`ll sort you out mate
Senior enthusiasts my arse!! I bloomin LIVE slot racing seven days a week

I`ve just run tonights Junior class racing Scalextric Audi and Boxsters. I put the variable power down to 12 V and it was superb. The cars were still very fast and we alter the power to suit the car, including Mini`s and NASCAR`s. (ALL box standard) It does not matter what power setting we use, what matters is how low your magnet is. Very , very basic Mope. Just come racing once a week Mope we are not that far away.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would agree that it is down to the position of the magnets.

At this point I am going to say that its time for bed!

Sleep tight everybody!

Moped

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I feel like crying in frustration...

I'm not gonna go through your posts and quote you this time Moped, but everyone knows that you have not made a sensible point or correct fact in this topic.

Please stop misleading the new guys who are just asking for help in attempt to find more customers for Hornby.

McLaren

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
the pheonix event that moped is talking about was my first club event. I set up my scalextric MG and hug's fly panoz with added mags, changed motors etc etc on scalextric sport track, and both cars ran brilliantly on the ninco track. I had never raced on ninco before, so had not made any compensation for the vast differences mped is claiming.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts