SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
We ran the first round of a box standard series at Pendle last night using scaley dallara indy cars , I must admit that they went very well and looked good having round wheels and a reasonable turn of speed .I bought mine as I walked hrough the door and it only did a couple of laps before we began racing.Results were good and I finished a respectable 3rd o/a with 1st place and second on the same lap as my self very close racing .The only down side was that at one point my car de sloted into **** Lords lane and hit the wall at a fair speed athe end of one of the shorter straights so it was by no means flat out .,result 1 broken rear axle lug and a bouncy rear end ,I soon repaired this with a dab of glue and continued to race but what worries me is the brittleness of the plastic I have not had axle lugs break on older f1s but I know every one who has raced a dallara at preston with mags has had simmilar breakages , We all expect more damage in mag racing but in no mags where the impacts are slower I would not have expected the chassis to break as easily . The car its self is great but this earlier failure made me slightly more cautious than I normally would be but as they are cheap and cheerfull they are still a very good buy.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
There have been quite a few reports throughout the slot world on suspicion of more brittle plastic being used in some cars, recently. No feedback seen from the manufacturers, but one hopes they are talking the reports on board, as it would be a great shame if this should become a more common phenomenon.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I agree. Old SCX and Scalextric cars (especially F1s) seemed to have rather more flexable plastic and therefore just deformed when they hit things. I've noticed that all new Scalextric cars are made with almost solid chassis, with not much twisting and bending movement. Obviously too much of this is bad, but I think that a chassis should have some, just to act like torsion bar suspension.

It's a shame... whenever I buy a new car, I take it apart and I'm always disapointed to find more plastic than is really nessecary in the chassis. So many cross braces and bends and stuff... if I had my way they would be flat pans with engine mounts, axel mounts and a guide holder. Oh, and holes for screws if you're lucky. This is pretty much what a simple scratchbuild chassis looks like (or a Ninco DTM, or Proslot Toyota) and that is why they are good cars. Honestly manufactureres, sometimes simple is better!

And to get it nicely back on topic... use more flexable plastic... I've had a load of breakages on my newer Fly cars too...

Lotus

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I wonder if Adrian Norman still peruses this forum? I hope so...well I hope that he might take note and have Scalextric come up with a solution. Don't trash the front of a Dallara either! The tyres,wheels, axle and suspension arms all come as one part. If the wishbones get broken then the axle is free to slide across almost its entire length. (Thakns GRAH1 for mentioning a repair - use a brass axle tube
). Whilst the Scaley spare part cost of £3-something isn't exactly expensive, it seems a waste of 2 good wheels and tyres and a knurled axle.

Mark.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Dallara got busted up so bad, I had to sacrifice it's chassis to another project... And right after that pic was taken the rear axle carriers cracked. GRRRR. Now I'm waiting for the motor mount plastic to break...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Welcome to SF, Redlynr!

What was the body you were going to put on that interesting chassis conversion by the way?

Cheers,
Mark.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts