SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a local Carrera dealer last weekend and he told me that Scalectrix is not making the NASCAR sedans any longer, and that they were fetching big money on the auctions. I've been away from the sport for the last year, but please tell me this isn't true?

Zippi

·
John Roche
4,203 Posts
The next chamionship at Wellinbugger is for Scaley NASCARs. I've not been able to find one so I've just bought an ASCAR car. They're not inthe Scaley leaflet I picked up at MRE today.

John

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ASCAR???
Are you guys pulling my leg? Never heard of these. Who makes them. I think I'm being fooled with.

Zippi

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm not sure how much credence to lend this, since it was part of the discussion at the last club race... but several people indicated that Scalextric had let their licensing agreement with NASCAR expire
and that it was out for bid to other companies... that Scalextric would not be marketing NASCAR cars in the immediate future.

Perhaps someone else can confirm or refute this.

If the NASCAR license is out for bid... has anyone heard who might pick it up? At least in the US, this is the ticket to some hefty sales. It would be comparable to letting the F1 license go in Europe.

As has been noted elsewhere, Scalextric does not seem to be penetrating the US market as successfully as Carrera.

Mike

·
Registered
474 Posts
Don't quote me on this one (as always) but i think that ASCAR is the UK's version of NASCAR, this is only what i have heard on another forum so i may be wrong.

Doug

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ruhdwulf

Thanks for the info. I was on e-bay the other day and did not see one NASCAR offered. Thought this very odd. Maybe they been all bought up to turn into ASCAR's to race at Wellenbugger?

Zippi

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Boring as I find NASCAR cars and racing, it is obviously hugely popular in the states, and commands a reasonable amout of die-cast shelf space in some shops. It does sound like it would be shortsighted to let the licence escape them.

They also had some sort of Ferrari licence at some point - having done some F1 and the F40 (i think) car, but that's gone.

The quality and value of their product, and the range, is world class (though maybe not club class!) so I hope they manage to do the right marketing and licencing deals to let them establish themselves as a major player across US.

They have hired that marketing guy who did various console games, so there's hope!

·
Registered
321 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 27 Oct 2004, 12:09)Boring as I find NASCAR cars and racing, it is obviously hugely popular in the states, and commands a reasonable amout of die-cast shelf space in some shops. <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I find NASCAR extremely boring... just as I find Indy boring... except for those rare instances when they have to throw those huge things around a road course like Riverside. It ain't pretty, but it is fun. Still, it's big stuff here in the States.

And I'm pretty sure that ASCAR is the Australian version of NASCAR-style cars and racing. Is Australia still considered part of the UK??? I think they did vote a few years ago to keep the British monarch as their titular head of state.

Still... no solid corroboration on the NASCAR license issue.

Mike

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
There definately is a UK series called ASCAR (American Stock Car Racing Championship - yes I know those letters don't spell ASCAR but don't shoot the messenger!!!), and one of the racing venues is an oval called Rockingham in Northamptonshire. I believe these are the cars that scalextric is making as ASCAR racers

·
Registered
321 Posts
QUOTE (LMP04 @ 27 Oct 2004, 13:08)ASCAR is a series in Britain based on NASCAR racing.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll be damned!
'Twas the "A" that made me imagine it as Australian... and I didn't pick the British to much take to big block oval racing. Next I'll hear the British are eating black eyed peas and BBQ pork rinds and waving Confederate flags! (Please don't. At least not the pork rinds. The sooner pork rinds are declared a toxic substance, the better for all of us.)

So, all of the ASCAR cars that Scalextric has issued have been Ford Taurus' (Tauri?). Does ASCAR also run Chevrolet, Dodge, and Pontiac?

Mike

·
Registered
446 Posts
They are fetching good pricves on Ebay for most of them now:
NASCAR 1
NASCAR 2

These 2 are probably the highest priced I've seen and they still have 4 days to go, I would expect over £100 on each!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes those cars do go a lot cheaper but arent as attractive as Blue/Black liveried NASCAR's. With the special boxes which are done in a similar style to Fly Truck boxes, they are quite nice.
OUCH
Much cheaper.
All these NASCAR's look beautiful and are pretty much bulletproof with simple plastic bodies with little fine detail other than the interior.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ASCAR: Anglo-American Stock Car Auto Racing
Auscar: The Austrailian version (I belive).

ASCAR (or Days of Thunder, DOT) is based at the 1.5m Rockingham Speedway in Corby but is slowly expanding across into Europe with some races in Germany at the Lausitzring next season. A days motorsport at Rockingham usually consists of a couple of ASCAR races on the oval, a couple of pickup races on the oval, some legends races on the combined oval and road course and usually a guest race or two....oh and 20-30,000 spectators, so it's doing alot right in getting bums on seats (or should that be bleachers). This is all finnised off with a pop/rock concert at the end of the day. Great family entertainment.
I wasn't a fan of oval racing until I went to the CART races at Rockingham and for live entertainment it is fantastic to watch. And thats from a die hard GT fan...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts