SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finally finding out how to post my track plans, i thought i would do just that.
This is my existing layout:

Which looks like this:

I am planning an extension to the circuit, now that i have finally removed all the trash in the loft!. I still have to board out the new section, so i thought i would reveal my new plan and see if you guys can add any thoughts/suggestions on the idea, in the meantime.

i don't really want to disturb the existing section too much, as i was a bind cutting all the carpet tiles to fit.
The new area to be boarded out is 4' wide by 18' long and it will sit 7" higher than the existing track.
My plan uses R3 & R4 curves to try and create a better flow in the lap, and plenty of straights to balance out the existing twisty lap.
I would be interested to know what you think!

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
Cool extension to your already cool layout...2 nice designs. What do you race?..if its fast cars...then great, but if you like to dabble with rally cars it might be too long/fast for 'fun'...you could fit a circuit within the outer rim...a rally stage and try a link track section???????????

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the comments guys

nitro, i have a selection of both rally and endurance cars. I prefer to race the vipers/marcos/bmw's ect, so i was hoping for more speed!
Also, good suggestion about the rally track inside a race track, with a possible link up of the two, to create one large circuit.
i will have a play with snaptrack and see what i can come up with. (I feel it may be a bit tricky though).

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
Cool...a wood routed link with switchible tracks aka original le mans starts could be used to create a 'club' & an 'international' circuit. Then again your designs are great and I am great at building on other designs and lazy with my own!!!!!!!!!

·
David J
3,182 Posts
Hi Zipp, Love the extention plan, look forward to helping out on the project. Meanwhile here (hopefully) is a picture of my current track plan.

Did it work?

Oh, and I've been having a little play and have come up with some new crash barriers. What do you think?

I think they look really smart and I'm going to put them along the chicane area of my track.

Thanks for all the tips on posting pictures.

DJ

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Not had time to board out the other section of the loft yet, too busy round at willys on the routed track!!
I have been looking at other peoples tracks though, and decided it was time for a bit of a re-surface in some area's.
i was against the idea of painting the track at first, but after reading threads that mentioned a bit more traction was found after painting and the fact that they look superb, i thought i would test it out.
i only did a small corner section to start with. Once it had dried i tested it out and i was really happy with the results. Definatley more grip, but not too much as to stop the cars from sliding out altogether. The colour is almost an exact match to Scaley Sport which means i won't have to do all the straights to make it look right, it just blends in nicely.
So now i have painted a good portion of the corners including the borders.
i decided to remove the curbs on the inside of the curves, but painted over the outside ones. Once dry i had to repaint the borders/curbs again to get full coverage.
Then using a white paint pen, i made a line around the outside of the blacked out curbs, optically widening the track.
I think it looks a lot better than it did, and the extra grip should hopefully mean that i don't have to get up so often to retrieve a de-slot!

paint from wilkos £6.99, paint pen from auto shop £4

bacardibeast, no mods on the mini. it does go round ok but has a tendency to tip.

nitro, i think i will just place the routed testtrack in the middle section and be done!!

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wayneslot,

So today has been really warm.
nice day for lounging around outside, or a spot of gardening perhaps?

Nah.. i think i will go in the loft and board it out!!!
it must have been 35degrees up there, what was i thinking??
i must have lost 2 stone in sweat.

Anyway, i got it all done, and all the straights are in position.
Just need to purchase the r1,r3,r4 curves, and the borders to match.
Still got a bit of work to do on elevating a section from the existing track up to the new bit, but once thats done it should be Go.Go.Go.

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
gilson65, the track has been up here for 18months, so its been very hot and extremely cold during that time. i have not had any trouble so far....
. The track is not fixed to the floor, it just lays on top. The carpet tiles seem to hold it in place.
I would really like to get a skylight fitted some time soon, for better light and ventilation.

all the borders have now been re-surfaced

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
woo-hoo!!, all the track is here and most of the borders. Just waiting on one more package.

Got all the track connected, no probs. Spent hours aligning the elevated sections so as to eliminate any adverse camber or any bumpy joins. Got it sorted now and i am quite pleased. The F1 cars go round with no hassle and they are the lowest chassid of my cars.

There is a really nice feel to the circuit now, and it flows really well. Best lap time so far is 10.3sec's but i'm confident that as we learn the track, this will be beaten.

Got to get all the new borders painted next, and then landscape the elevations to hide the wood blocks.
This is where i'm at:

i am not sure of the track length, i think it is about 30m.
If somebody out there has the tracker software, i would be grateful if you could copy the track plan above and let me know the length of each lane

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Thanx for the compliments guys

Taxi, i do what i can...

B1RAC, thanx for the offer, i have tried to get the part no's on, here goes:

and the list:

the 4 gaps in the track are 1/4 straights. As i only have the evaluation mode of Snaptrack, these parts are locked out of use. Also half straights are locked out, but the power sections are the same size, so i used those instead.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.