Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM JUST GETTING STARTED IN 1/32 RACING. I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A CARRERA STARTER SET AND AM PLANNING ON SOME NEW CARS. I WANT TO BUY SOME F1 CARS AND WONDER IF SCALEY OR CARRERA WOULD BE BETTER. THANKS

·
Registered
480 Posts
I love my Carreras, but must admit that the latest Scalex F1 models are really awesome! Don't be shy, buy them both.

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Joey, welcome aboard.

If you are new to this lark then you should be aware that the track you run on is an important consideration in comparing makers cars and in taking the advice given here - which I think I can safely say will always be honest.

See, your Carrera track (excellent stuff, IMHO) has stainless steel rails that won't suck the magnets down as much as say, Sport track. That means if some dude tells you Scaley's go like thunder around the corners, you need to qualify the statement with which type of track he's using. It won't necessarily be the same for you with the German stuff.

New to the game, I'd be tempted to stick with the Carrera F1's initially, although I think I'm right in saying you have much more team choice with Scaley.

And, oh, yeah. Watch out for ALL CAPS POSTING!

·
Registered
146 Posts
You have a very good question.
But it really doesn't matter which F-1 cars you get, both Scalextric and Carrera are great.
If you'd like a Ferrari Carrera is the way to go until Scalextric releases theirs.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
hi,
I have Carrera track...and whereas I like Carrera cars, I prefer the Scaley cars on my track. It may just be the style of "ride", personal preference. Carrera's in my experience are smoother (and quieter)...but the Scaley's seem quicker (not necessarily faster) and more responsive. They feel more like racing cars to me. Try both...see what you think, and then let us know, huh?

regards,
John

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I hate to disagree with Wankel (lie detector tests aside) but Scaley cars run great on Carrera track.
With their better braking, higher top speed (yes even on Carrera), better looks and single magnet (no point throwing two good mags away now is there?) I would say buy Scalextric.

To give you an example the Carrera Evolution Ferrari F1 will run almost as fast (definately close enough to race) as the Scalextric Renault F1 (first release from early last year). However the Scalextric has only one magnet and the Carrera needs both magnets supplied to do this. Remove the magnets from both and the difference is huge in Scalextrics favour.

All comments so far suggest the new F1s (Renault and Williams) are even faster.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Although the Carrera Ferrari is a nice car I would say that the Scalextric F1's are more realistic representations of their full size cousins. Plus, from my experience they run faster too!

JS

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Ahem.

Much as I hate to be corrected by Swiss...

But maybe the Margate Missiles are able to keep the hammer down because of the extra magnets?

I'm as certain as a certain thing that my Fly cars don't raise as much G around my Carrera curves before falling over as they do on the old club Classic stuff.

·
Frederick
1,054 Posts
Well I haven't used Carrera cars before but I have used the Scalextric ones like the Renault and Williams and I can say that the Scalextric are pretty good and possibly worth buying.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Conventional wisdom for beginners is to stick with the brand of cars that came wth the set. The cars match up better , with the same driving qualities being shared, more or less , through out the line.

Luckily, slotcars don't require a great amount of wisdom, so I will suggest my favorites, the ninco F1's . I can't compare them to your cars, because Carrera cars lack the available feature that draws me to this brand and the SCX brand. Steerable front wheels. As good as the other cars are, and in spite of the fact that you won't see this detail in action, the front end without a big bar(axle) running through it makes the other cars look crude.

Some people object to steerable front ends, claiming they are fragile. They are less robust than a design with a steel axle running across the car, but running on regular plastic track I've never had a problem.

I realize you only asked for a comparison of the two brands. Of the two brands, Scalextric is by far the favorite for me. I just have no interest in either as a supplier of F1 cars, as I can't get F1 Ferreri in the states.

I run Scalextric track, but favor their cars for the higher level of detail. To be fair , they also carry a higher level of price. The Carrera cars I own and enjoy were all bought for the concept, or type/style of car , rather than the exicution of the model.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Carrera cars have the adjustable magnet which can be used to perfomance match cars and make them equal.

Carrera cars a bit more robust and heavier, which makes them a bit slower.

Carrera cars are significantly less expensive in the USA.

Scalextric makes nice cars, but if you are putting together a grid for racing wih friends, carrera might be a better choice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome to the game . . .

I have Carrera track because of w-i-d-t-h and very wide high banked curves.

In fact, just bought 2 post X-mas sale Carrera Evolution Carrera sets to expand on mine - the one with the Mustang & Corvette - for $49.95 each, cars alone are worth about $30.

As for cars ... I've purchased from several manufacturers and found them to be roughly the same. Want to really find out what's what?

Take away the driver's aid [magnets] and you'll really find out what's what. Sorta like traction control in F1, takes away need to have certain skills.

I find using magnets, more or less -- point and shoot -- versus needing to "tend to things" when the straight section becomes curved.

Once you've become adapted, try kit bashing and scratch building. Once you experience cars with metal wheels, brass chassis, strong motors, and the like. You'll then experience another level of fun in the game that's slots.

Very satisfying building a chassis that runs well.

Good luck . . .

Cheers

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
I only bought Scalextric F-1's in the start of my slot-carrer, but had to get the Carrera Ferrari's. But if you ever plan to race without magnets then you should go for SCX. They got better handling without magnet - on classic tracks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts