SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i,ve got a scaley ff black can 30000rpm motor thats going in a resin indy watson offy car. my track is medium size 2 big[5ft radius bends] at either end with straights and nadgery bits in the middle, nothing lower than radius 2 bends, its a pretty quick flowing track. so whats the baseline gearing to start off with. i,ve never used this sort of motor before, so is it torquy with brakes or gutless and no brakes. john

·
Registered
330 Posts
Geared my little Scratch GP car (penelope pitlane chassis) with 9t and 30t with this motor, I find the brakes aren't great but it has plenty of zip when you pull the trigger. Will probably find a 8 tooth pinion in the future for comparison.

·
re member
4,019 Posts
ff motors I have used tend to rev well but do not have strong brakes. You can gear them to take advantage of the revs and compensate for the weaker brakes.
As knealer says 3.5 to 1 might be a good starting point.

·
re member
4,019 Posts
ff motors I have used tend to rev well but do not have strong brakes. You can gear them to take advantage of the revs and compensate for the weaker brakes.
As knealer says 3.5 to 1 might be a good starting point.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
We at Scale Models Racing run a class for the PP Classic GP cars. Some people run the black motors but others run the green FF. The black can be a bit peaky with green being easier to drive smoothly. Neither are noted for their braking ability ie they don't have any
Some of our cars can be seen here with some specs http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54831 . On our routed wood track the little cars have enough grip to wheelie themselves out of the slot with even with 9:26 ratio.

Allan

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
well that was sorted pretty quicky. i,ll go with the 9-27 to start, then try an 8t&10t pinion to see what gives me the quickest laps and is the easiest to drive. there were some great cars on your link allen, thanks. might even put a long drop arm on it if they wheelie that easely. thanks guys, john

1 - 6 of 6 Posts