SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Can't help with the Wheelbase Al....But this site has some great pictures of Scarab's, including some pictures of the wheels used, are they Halibrand's?....

Scarab Pictures

Regards

Alan

PS Have you asked Doug at Resilient Resins? ...or the Other Guys at Pelican?.

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Phil Kalbfell @ 2 Oct 2004, 16:17)I believe that the wheelbase was 91" .
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well,at 91",the wheelbase on this thing is about spot on then.Although the car does look a little long to me.

Thanks

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (BEEJAY7 @ 2 Oct 2004, 11:35)Can't help with the Wheelbase Al....But this site has some great pictures of Scarab's, including some pictures of the wheels used, are they Halibrand's?....

Scarab Pictures

Nice pics,but those are of the MKI.This is a MKIV,much later car.

Yes,those are Halibrands.

Regards

Alan

PS Have you asked Doug at Resilient Resins? ...or the Other Guys at Pelican?.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I got the Aston, Scarab and Hussein from Resilient Resins a while ago, and the Hussein was the only one which didn't check out perfectly with the dimensions I had. The Hussein appears a bit stretched, but they're all waiting in my projects box for a shipment of your inserts, Al!

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OOPs,after rebooting my brain,and having another look,This thing is indeed about .100 long in the wheelbase.So,I was right all along,that this body was indeed a bit long,and didn't need the callipers to SEE that.

Now,to figure out the best place to remove the offending material.The place where it looks out to me,is also the hardest part to remove anything whithout turning the car into a jigsaw puzzle.

Sure wish I could find some pics on the MKIV.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Al,

John Jude in Leeds makes a very nice 1/32nd scale resin Scarab Mk.IV, based on a scaled down version of the 1/24th scale Monogram kit:-

Gary Cannell of MRE does some very nice 1/32nd scale decals for this car.

Here's a side view of the 1:1 version:-

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
64 Posts
Al,

Now that your dimension problem is solved, what are you going to do for wheels? Do you plan to make those Cooperesque wheels as shown on the front of the car in Russel's picture?

Jim

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Jim @ 2 Oct 2004, 20:30)Al,

Now that your dimension problem is solved, what are you going to do for wheels? Do you plan to make those Cooperesque wheels as shown on the front of the car in Russel's picture?

Jim
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually,the master is done for those,and is sitting in the pile with Howmets 50s era Halibrand,along with about 10 or 12 others just waiting for me to get them into one big mold so I can start production on them all at one go.

My brand new 18" Modern LMP/GT/LeMans wheel was programed up last week,and I should have them to market next week.Same basic outline/size as Scaley's MG Lola and the DTM cars.I can hardly wait.

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
Well, I didn't want to bring this up before because I wasn't sure of my memory but looking at the pictures of the Mark I, I think that I am on reasonably solid ground:

The photo of the Resilient Resins MK I Scarab that was posted here a while back bothered me because it appeared that the body was rather slab-sided, dropping almost straight down from about the mid-point while the photos reinforced my memory of a body with an extreme "tumble home" much like a D Jag in cross section.

I have one of the Resiliet Resin Vanwalls. The body accurately duplicates a similar feature on the Vanwall so I am a bit puzzled as to why they did not duplicate the prototype contour on the Scarab.

I know that one can warm a glass body with a hair dryer and reshape it a bit but I don't know if this will work with resin.

EM

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE The body accurately duplicates a similar feature on the Vanwall so I am a bit puzzled as to why they did not duplicate the prototype contour on the Scarab.
Because,I believe they are just copying a preexisting shell,and not altering,or correcting obvious mistakes.What they copy is what you get.I don't believe they are doing new masters for any of thier stuff.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

In discussion with RResins, as far as he claims, and I have seen, he is doing new masters. He works from data at hand and makes a lot of guesses. He has asked me for stuff in the past to help. With the Hussein, he guessed a lot. Did it before asking for my files.

To the scarab:The Nostalga body is takn from a Canadian shelf model(as is Judes I believe). I have not seen the original body kit, but have had people tell me about it. "Palmer" is what I remember as a name, but not sure.

What I have:

Scarab-Buick

91"wb, Tread 52f, 50r; 32" high, 56"wide, 62" with the later flares

This is a TINY car

Fate

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE 91"wb, Tread 52f, 50r; 32" high, 56"wide, 62" with the later flares
OK,then the one I have is a great big Pig,being 64"wide,with no flares.

An overall length would be realy handy,because apart from having about 4 extra inches of Wheelbase,I think it has extra in the nose and tail areas.

Mine measures 155" nose to tail.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Al:

I'll scan and email you an article from Mike Quarterman's publication, Motor Racing Replica issue #34. It is fairly comprehensive and includes black and white pictures and a breakdown of all of the variants of the Mark IV between 1962 and 1965 but it doesn't mention wheelbase, length or width. There is also a book entitled "Scarab" by Preston Lerner which unfortunately may be out of print.

With regards to dimensions, Quarterman mentions that the Monogram 1/24 scale Scarab is "a very accurate model even in it's simplicity".

Bob S.

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE With regards to dimensions, Quarterman mentions that the Monogram 1/24 scale Scarab is "a very accurate model even in it's simplicity".
Great,if anybody has one,if they could measure it,and give me it's length in 1:1 inches,that would help.

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
Must have had a serious "serior moment" - It just occured t o me that I have one of the John Jude models that Russell referred to!

Lenght : 4.955" (159")

Width: 2.071" (66")

WB 2.879" (92")

The width is at the midpoint and is the widest point. The model is mounted on a commercial brass chassis and may have been "stretched" a bit to fit.

If it was, indeed pulled from a "Palmer" body, it may well be ovrsized as all the bodies from this maker that I have seen (sample of 2) were too big.

EM

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lenght : 4.955" (159") same for mine

Width: 2.071" (66") same for mine

WB 2.879" (92") I measure this as just a shade under 3 inches,which is around 95/96 inches.The wheel well openings on this model are rather long,and it is easy to measure the wheelbase anywhere from 91" to about 97"

So,I suspect this is the same body,and,it is way too big.Lot's of slicing and dicing needed here.Might be easier to start fresh.

Oh!Well!

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
QUOTE If it was, indeed pulled from a "Palmer" body, it may well be ovrsized as all the bodies from this maker that I have seen (sample of 2) were too big.

Another brain cramp! I was thinking of Bergman Bodies - I have never, to my knowledge, seen a Palmer.

EM

1 - 20 of 22 Posts