SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone;

I hope this is the right place but I wanted to see how you felt about my first attempt at landscaping.

I used some of the things I've learned by reading TileGuy, Graham Lane and some others. I can't thank you all enough for the online tutorials and help you provide us newcomers to the hobby.

Anyway, I hope you like it and I welcome your comments and critique in order that I might be able to do better in future.

The first photo is where I laid down the little bits of foam (pink) and covered it with cardboard strips, and then a thin layer of drywall compound.

Next, after drying a day or two I painted it with a thin wash mix of Burnt Umber, Red, Yellow and Black and then did my thing witht he "grass" and other scatter.

The light tan color is some old ceramic floor tile grout I had laying around.

The barn I built a couple of weeks ago.

Comments and critique is welcome.

Griz

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Absolutely marvellous!
The effect you have created on the landscaping is really excellent, great colours.

You've done a good job of the barn too...not many like that in North Yorkshire!

Keep us all posted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow!! Thanks for the kind words everyone. I didn't think it was THAT good but I do appreciate the encouragement.

No cowboys and indians I'm afraid, but it is a country setting so you never know what else might pop up here from time to time.

Here's the finished shot with a few rocks and weeds scattered around. Thanks again for all your help guys.

QUOTE (perthor @ 13 Mar 2008, 20:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks great, keep the pics coming
Will there be any cowboys and indians there
Per

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Brad;

I hadn't planned on painting the track as I'm really not that ambitious. However, after a lot of landscaping it may look right out of place being black and just might need painting.

I really like the light brown/tan color of your track as well. Makes it a very natural looking roadway. As a matter of fact it was your water tower and windmill that got me started in all this you know.

Aanyway, thanks again for all your encouring remarks guys. Most appreciated.

Griz

QUOTE (Brad Korando @ 14 Mar 2008, 13:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice work Griz; the barn is a nice feature. Are you planning to paint the track? Thanks for sharing your progress.

Brad

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
QUOTE As a matter of fact it was your water tower and windmill that got me started in all this you know.

...and when are you going to share some photos of that fine looking water tower of yours? It looks great and should be shared with all!

Brad

p.s. Please excuse me if you have already posted it and I missed it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Brad;

You know.... you guys make this slotcar stuff a lot of fun. I never thought I would enjoy this as much as I am and it's because of the scenery aspect that I am enjoying it immensley. What really pleases me is the fact that I was already able to help another lad with a question about cutting some foam-core. What a great feeling it is to be able to help someone else as I have been helped. This is tryuly a terrific forum guys and you all make it so.

Here's the picture of my water tower. I take absolutely no credit for any of this though, as I shamelessly copied yours right down to the color I think. The fact that I really disliked the "oilcan" receiver tower helped me make the decision to build it, but without yours being here first I never would have thought of it, let alone attempt such a piece. Thanks for allowing us to copy your stuff Brad, it's a pleasure watching you work at this stuff.

I hope to start lanscaping this end of the track very soon.

QUOTE (Brad Korando @ 14 Mar 2008, 14:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...and when are you going to share some photos of that fine looking water tower of yours? It looks great and should be shared with all!

Brad

p.s. Please excuse me if you have already posted it and I missed it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ya know....... I don't know how you knew, but I just took another look inside that barn, and I couldn't believe my eyes. You can just see it in behind the open door.

QUOTE (sacesta @ 14 Mar 2008, 16:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice work Griz. I like the barn too. Looks like a place where someone's white-haired uncle might have a Red Barchetta stashed...
Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.