SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Another trade fair, another track. This time I was asked to construct a track for graphics and publishing fair. Posting here the pictures of construction and I will also post some pictures of the finished track once it has been assembled at the fair.

Technical data:
- Ninco track
- Timing with my own sensors and SRM program
- Figures are resin copies of Preiser & FLY & MRRC
- Die-cast vehicles NewRay, Welly, Joel, Siku
- Control with Parma economy 45
- Grass: Noch
- Trees are manufactured by Faller
- Track borders my own design, constructed by using Kapa foam board

Please enjoy the pictures !

Cheers!

Julius

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Very nice little track. Lots of inspiration for me too, thanks. Hiring out to trade fairs is not something I had thought of but that could be an avenue for my track.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Lovely piece of work JW!
The track is very nice but what makes it special is the "figures" they bring the whole thing to life, I can already see the conversations they are having, that lady in the orange is a must for my track.

Thank you for the pictures.

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi!

Graham, I presume that you are referring to the figures. Construction workers are Preiser. Available at Pendles. Orange track marshals are FLY, except that "lady in the orange" that bleep had his eyes on. She is a Preiser figure. Pit Stop technicians posted below are Scalextric.

Came up with a great idea of how to keep my little people alive. Have a look at the first three pictures below. Last two pics are Scalextric figures with FLY Corvette and SCX Ferrari.

Cheers!

Julius

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
Great idea for standing the figures up. I have just been hot gluing mine. When they do get knocked up it is a pain to get the gun out again.

Hey the Hookers working under the track at one end are neat. What manufacturer?

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes....

She is one of the teenagers indeed ..... I have made many copies of her .. . (** mad scientist laugh here **)

Tried to post some pictures from under the bridge but photobucket is crowded. I´ll try later to add these pictures of lovely sunbathers.

Cheers!

Julius

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Thanks for the info, and yes I was referring to the figures. That's a neat trick for standing the figures up. I needed to employ something like that for mine. Preiser figures are great and when you can clothe them it really opens up possibilities.

·
Tel
4,033 Posts
Very nice work, although why marshall wants to punch the lady marshall, I have no idea

I wouldn't mind seeing some more pics of that Enzo, it looks like a nice job you have done on the decals, but maybe a PM or new post in cars so I don't drag the post OT

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi!

Nice that someone noticed my fantacy relivery of the Enzo. I needed a yellow car for the yellow lane and grabbed one Enzo and bunch of Revell decals. Rear wing is resin copy of Carrera Maserati MC12 short wing.

Cheers!

Julius

.... and here are closeups of the sunbathers....

·
Tel
4,033 Posts
Very nice thanks, looks a whole lot better in race trim

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi!

They are Preiser resin copies, painted by myself. The girl with the red bikini top and bottom is SlotIt copy. Couple walking beside PT-Cruiser is a copy of a MRRC figure. I emphasize that Preiser, FLY, MRRC and SlotIt own the rights for the shape and form of these figures and I will be making copies primarily for my own use.

Cheers!

Julius

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All,

The tradefair track story continues....

Assembling the track at the fair took me about two hours. Overview of the whole track at the picture below.

Notice my wooden drivers panels with a handle to hold the Parma controller. Sensor gantry can also seen at the picture. With this track I decided first time to test high intensity LEDs as a light source for the LDR sensors. Sensors are at the bridge above the track facing downwards and the light source in the track piece illuminates the sensors from bottom to top. This way I can eliminate ambient light disturbances.

Local modelling agency provided two lovely gridgirls. Training these girls to be the track operators was one of the nicest educational duties than I have ever had.

Track in action. It was decided to race 7-lap races and fastest lap-times of the day will win something.

Fancy that blonde

Cheers!

Julius

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
You mean they taught you a few tricks - lol. I may have to come out of retirement and build myself one of those portable tracks.

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Hi lordjw

Nice track you made! looks very good

is also a good bilboard for promoting slotcar racing+++
can not have enough people in this hobby,how do you make resin copies of something detailed?
ofcourse i dont mean the figures because i know they have copyright! ehe
do you have product name/brand and how to?
would be very interesting!

Cheers

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi!

Casting figures in resin is basically very simple process, but you have to be very careful in every step. I have created earlier step-by-step instructions of how to cast plaster figures. This thread can be found here !. With resin you can use harder silicone for your mould, Wacker Elastosil M4440 or similar. Another trick with casting complete parts with resin is to first slush-cast different halves of the moulds and then connect these together and press excess resin out. Rotate the complete mould-package until the resin begins to harden.

Grass mat is Noch, both new(short) and old (long) grass. Trees are Faller. DieCast: Welly, Joal, NewRay. It is a good idea to spray the grass with thinned glue to improve its durability.

Cheers!

Julius

1 - 20 of 26 Posts