SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Here it is,

Note 3mm holes for Scorpius photo diode and Carrera LED.

Note also 3 posts not 4, working on the tripod set up due to positions of Scorpius diode and Carrera LED and space limitations on board.

This will be 3D printed and available in the webshop when Gen II decoder is released.

Rick

Attachments

Reactions: Ade

·
novice jazz player &
6,463 Posts
Exciting to see the pace of progress Rick :)

Will they be available in due course via Shapeways too?

C

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Doc,
No need at this stage. They will be around $3.50 USD retail.

Rick

Reactions: Dr_C

·
Prof I T
11,172 Posts
Hi

how many people have the Scorpius photo diode positioned on the left hand side
question.gif
, I only ask as all mine were positioned on the right so if I were to use these it would mean reconfiguring every car and every lane brain...

I can see space is tight but is it no possible for it to be universal
question.gif

·
Circuit Owner
5,917 Posts
If that is the case you might consider this:

Put a Scorpius hole on both sides and create a post with an offset 3mm spigot that could be glued in place in the unused Scorpius hole.

A bit of a faff but it would offer flexibility.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Its all good. Both LEDS and the photodiode are also on flyleads. All thought of😊
Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys,
First pass of the DPR hatch arrived today. The only issue was the LEDs and photodiode not fitting through the printed hole.
I drilled the 3mm holes out to 3.5, this allows for factory tolerances.
Ive left all the wires not required on so as to not ruin the prototype. But with the DPR most if not all the wires would be trimmed off. Note the DPR plug is recycled off an old Scaley DPR.

Rick

Attachments

·
Greg Gaub
15,084 Posts
Well done.

I see that print is from an FFF printer. Is that just for prototyping, or is that how they will be manufactured? Will you be sharing the STL files for those with printers to print their own, or only selling the finished doors?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Thanks Me Flippant
Its a rapid prototype. The resolution will be reduced once the design is finalised.
And yes we will release the files for general use.

Rick

Attachments

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mr Flippant
Its a rapid prototype. The resolution will be reduced once the design is finalised.
And yes we will release the files for general use.

Rick

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maybe a stupid question...or too far out / soon to ask / answer...

When utilizing a Scalextric harness, do both capacitors need to be utilized? Said differently, is noise suppression somehow built into the chip or external via stock Scalextric harness?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Drewbert,
Myself, Ade and others agree the large capacitor on the chip does little or nothing. If we can get rid of it it will be a massive step forward in installations. The Gen II car chip is just 1.7mm thick without it.

Of course any ferrite man arrangement on your standard Scalextric car DPR plug wiring harness both at braid and motor should remain, assuming youre installing this in a DPR ready car.

The motor/drive MOSFETs will have lock-out control done by firmware.
Theres also a RC filter on the 3.3V reg.

Additional caps can be added to motor to quieten any noise but only if required. A diagram is available.

Yes its early days. Ten thousand or so laps on the new Scorpius test track should give a good indication if its working or not. Anyway its time to find out. Heck I think I only put mine on because Scaley had it and maybe it was a good idea at the time.

If you dont have a go you will never know. Development sometimes works straight away, other times it needs tweaking. Only time and effort will tell. We still have lots of room on side B so to add a large or two large SMD caps is not an issue.

A car at even 4m/S passing over a 75mm dead flipper remains unpowered for just 18m/S anyway. With perpetual motion its not even noticeable.
However, in any case all Scorpius tracks have Live Flipper function standard. So its not even an issue. But we will design it to work with non livened flippers.

We will be doing some research also into track noise because I think thats the next big greatly unknown area to explore. Clean consistent power makes life easier. Not easy however to achieve on the humble slot car track and motor.

Pic below showing available real estate should we need to add any large SMD components such as capacitors, as long as the components are flat.

Rick

Attachments

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
.........I forgot to mention there IS currently a SMD 10uF cap on the A side, obviously size is critical on this project, and this can be upped, but there's a ground pad also so that any size cap (to within reason) on flylead can be connected to it. I might duplicate this is the Gen II car chip thread.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Merc,
Its happening, actually at this moment redesigning the hatch. The little 1mm dia. posts that go through the PCB need to be upped to 1.5mm and board as they snap off easily and then have the PCB slightly reconfigured to suit.

Rick

Reactions: Merc_A
1 - 16 of 16 Posts