SlotForum banner
181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Now ditch the screw that holds the hatch in the car.

Replace with small Neodymium magnets, and you have a chip that requires no tools or hardware to remove/install.

Downside I suppose is the added weight of the magnets......didn't think about that...

Enjoy,

Shad

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
I was thinking about this yesterday.
Personally I wouldn't use a magnet. And most people will expect this to fit straight into their Scalextric or Pioneer car with no mods.
For competition you could of course think of a new idea....maybe a sprung design that clips in and out using a small screwdriver. I can imagine it right now and a second idea to utilise the hole left by not inserting the screw by inserting small screwdriver there and to dislodge two attached tiny locking tabss but that's another project for another day.

Rick
Now ditch the screw that holds the hatch in the car.
Replace with small Neodymium magnets, and you have a chip that requires no tools or hardware to remove/install.
Downside I suppose is the added weight of the magnets......didn't think about that...

Enjoy,
Shad

Reactions: Ade

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys,
Today I asked John to upgrade the power circuit and add a couple of TVS diodes for protection.
TVS will hold off 16V but clamps at 29.2V @13.7A Rectifier diodes are now 30V, 5A
Drive mosfet is now 30V, 25A
Brake mosfet is now 30V, 6.1A

As size is critical we feel this is the best bang per sq.mm. Soon we will produce 10 or 20 prototypes.
All this added or upgraded and still on just 26x13mm

Its getting exciting now :)

Rick

Attachments

Reactions: Dr_C

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Now the ether has cleared a bit now would seem the ideal time to post a real world user review on the current Scorpius chip regarding Mosfets and Diodes , what ever rating they are...

The fact is I have personally seen a chip take the impact of a direct short accross the legs of the ferrite man, the result was said ferrite man lost one of his legs, so yes he was legless but not drunk a drop, replaced the ferrite and car continued to lap with the same chip :thumb: .

So what ever is being replaced or upgraded on the new chip the quoted headroom upgrade can only be a good thing, even less stress on the components :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed the light show

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Ill be taking a break from Slotforum until we finish the car chip development. I find the forum takes a lot of development time and time is best spent getting a lot of work done.
See you soon.

Rick

·
Prof I T
11,172 Posts
Proof is in the pudding as they say
thumbsup.gif

Reactions: Dr_C

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,777 Posts
Interesting to read the line that slot car digital are moving towards being compatible - is this because there are only 2 players left in the toy market or is that 3 is SCX back yet?

It seems that the hobbyist market is developing some interesting stuff but still a way off. I am starting to move to digital on my trains now. The nice thing about that is I can take them to the club or my mates place and run them no problem. I would be more interested in digital slot cars if it was similar.

I always thought digital slot cars was being held back by competing rather than compatible products.

DM

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Interesting to read the line that slot car digital are moving towards being compatible - is this because there are only 2 players left in the toy market or is that 3 is SCX back yet?

It seems that the hobbyist market is developing some interesting stuff but still a way off. I am starting to move to digital on my trains now. The nice thing about that is I can take them to the club or my mates place and run them no problem. I would be more interested in digital slot cars if it was similar.

I always thought digital slot cars was being held back by competing rather than compatible products.

DM
I think the compatibility issue only affects a small amount of users. I could be wrong.
Sure there are 2 mainstream systems but the general consensus is that they are essentially toy level and still not the sort of gear analogue racers at club level find interesting.
There will always be 2 tiers, mainstream and hardcore enthusiast/ club racer.
Trains compatibility is also a myth. Sure the basic go stop functions work between systems but most of the manufacturers try to get a leg up in others by introducing functions that simply arent on others systems so youll find a lot of incompatibility on fancy functions.

Rick

181 - 189 of 189 Posts