SlotForum banner
161 - 180 of 189 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Scorpius doesn't need your advice or continual trolling.
Get an engineer, spend some coin, put in the thousands of hours as we have and you might achieve something admirable.
Please accept John is a far superior engineer. All you've done is bag his work.... the chip is inferior, the mosfets are inferior, the photo transistors are inferior, the screen is no good blah blah blah.
It just makes you look like a jealous sook.
Mate grow up, get some help, stand back and observe how it's done and leave me the hell alone.

Reactions: Ade

·
Registered
464 Posts
This thread is titled "Scorpius Generation II car chip development" in the Scorpius Wireless section on the forum.

There shouldn't be anyone else's product in this thread! Especially banter comparing it to another product. Why can't a moderator go through and delete all posts not pertaining to the title? I'm sure it'll bring the page count down considerably, which would benefit people like myself who just want to follow the SCORPIUS GENERATION II CAR CHIP DEVELOPMENT!

·
Prof I T
11,173 Posts
Now the ether has cleared a bit now would seem the ideal time to post a real world user review on the current Scorpius chip regarding Mosfets and Diodes , what ever rating they are...

The fact is I have personally seen a chip take the impact of a direct short accross the legs of the ferrite man, the result was said ferrite man lost one of his legs, so yes he was legless but not drunk a drop, replaced the ferrite and car continued to lap with the same chip
thumbsup2.gif

So what ever is being replaced or upgraded on the new chip the quoted headroom upgrade can only be a good thing, even less stress on the components
thumbsup.gif

·
Bob Chapman
6,950 Posts
Well done Rick your advancements are met with enthusisasm despite the detractors attacks and requests for info that is quite possibly specific to your design work. Its a shame that some people seem to just want to try and knock you down. As I said I dont understand the tech bits but a proven working example beats theory every time.
Its like the old saying .
Those who can do. Those who can't teach.
Let me know when you are tired of the interference in your thread and I will eliminate it. As mentioned the proof is in the pudding.
Thanks for your perseverance in pushing the envelope and expanding the horizons for our hobby. You have certainly provide many a good product to date and I see you are still heading forward.
Kudos to you.
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Well done Rick your advancements are met with enthusisasm despite the detractors attacks and requests for info that is quite possibly specific to your design work. Its a shame that some people seem to just want to try and knock you down. As I said I dont understand the tech bits but a proven working example beats theory every time.
Let me know when you are tired of the interference in your thread and I will eliminate it. As mentioned the proof is in the pudding.
Thanks for your perseverance in pushing the envelope and expanding the horizons for our hobby. You have certainly provide many a good product to date and I see you are still heading forward.
Kudos to you.
Bob
Very unfair, if someone makes claims about there product surely those claims should bear scrutiny, simple as that. Inaccurate claims or statements should be challenged and this forum should encourage that, it promotes honesty. I feel the statement above is designed to stop legitimate questions being asked and is unnecessarily hostile maybe for this reason who knows

Dave

·
David H
3,823 Posts
I prefer the analogy of chefs and restaurant reviewers, although it's far less succinct.

A chef opens a restaurant, cooks his meals and lets the market decide whether his business succeeds or fails. A restaurant reviewer burns his toast at home and spends the rest of his time picking holes in the meals served by others.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Very unfair, if someone makes claims about there product surely those claims should bear scrutiny, simple as that. Inaccurate claims or statements should be challenged and this forum should encourage that, it promotes honesty. I feel the statement above is designed to stop legitimate questions being asked and is unnecessarily hostile maybe for this reason who knows

Dave
Scorpius is the most transparent and honest of all. So I made an error about a rating on a bloody mosfet. Grow up people. It's deeper than that. It's the tall poppy syndrome where one or two individuals out of hundreds constantly looking at the tiny things and ignore the big picture. I accept when you are number 1 ppl will try to knock you down. It's to be expected.

There's 30 things on that list. A lot are world firsts:
Example:
Back EMF detection, Current sensing, accelerometer, dual comms to SSD and Carrera, lights, amazing size, DPR compatibility,
the most compatible chip ever made etc but was that discussed? No. Instead let's go looking for the slightest error. Ah look fellas he forgot to cross this tee, or for the for the I.
So the spec is only 97% accurate.
Does that detract from the actual product Dave?

It's been going in since he arrived, I've successfully fended off lies and misinformation for over 2 years one example is where he told the forum that one of the components was burnt out and that it's not a good look. He was informed it was a micro amount of hot glue but refused to acknowledge it, modify his post or apologise. What's that say? Does anyone think we promote burnt out voltage regulators? We know the real reason.

Then the constant knocking of John's work. And choice of components etc etc. This is from a guy who has completed 2 small projrcts out of 100 he has announced.

It's not about the mosfets Dave. It's about the agenda. His policy is if you can't beat 'em destroy it. Say or do anything to take peoples focus off the actual prodyct. Based purely on hate and jealousy, and there's one other just like him. It wouldn't matter what time of day I post had always answers within minutes every post typical of a troller.

·
Registered
464 Posts

Dave
True - IF the said product is available on the market for people to scrutinize! Not BEFORE the said product is available for scrutiny!

Anything Before the product is available for purchase is called Design and Engineering - regardless of the claims made. Until there's a product for all to purchase it's just and idea! All this banter about bits and pieces is nonsense because the product isn't available for purchase, yet.

Did I get my point across...?

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Dingleberry look at the big picture. Not the distraction. Think about the rest Ive said above and maybe you can see why.

You know when the product is AMAZING when they go looking for faults and cant find any so then must resort to finding a tiny error on a spec sheet they have NOTHING. And thats the funny bit. But agenda is worrying and disturbing. Are you saying you support this sort of continual harassment? I hope not.

It's exactly this sort of carp that makes me go harder and add more specs.

Rick

·
Bob Chapman
6,950 Posts
As has been pointed out. This is the Scorpious thread. It is about development and R&D. The piciune little jabs are not in the least productive. So if There are issues I suggest they be done in the Dr C threads which are designed to discuss electrical topics. 3 areas .
Ultimately when the Scorpious product hits the market then I am sure Injectorman will be happy to dicuss issues and fixes.
Argument about theory is useless at this point. So lets all take s breath and stop the nonsensical posts. There is no physical test of this product yet so lets be positive. Hope it works as intended and watch as things progress toward reality.
If we continued to go this route our ancestors may well have sailed off the edge of the world.
Thanks for your understanding and interest in seeing our hobby continue to push the envelope. It is in all our favor.
Bob

Reactions: Henk and Ade

·
Prof I T
11,173 Posts
So any news on the prototypes yet Rick
question.gif
would be great to see these being put through there paces on the new Scorpius track
thumbsup.gif

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I have to say I'm genuinely excited about this gen 2 chip. I have both slot.it and Scorpious gen 1. Admittedly I only have one Scorpious controller and dongle but I do have a bunch of scalex f1 cars chipped with Scorpious as these are THE ONLY chips that fit. I bought my chips second-hand 'new' and love the fact I can at last drive these cars. I have held off any further purchase of Scorpious simply because of the gen 2 and right now there is no incentive for me purchase Scorpious RMS until I see how the land lies with gen 2.

Just to clarify Rick, will the Gen 2 chips work with my existing controller? You may have mentioned this already but there are so many pages in this thread I may have missed that.

I've already made a significant investment in slot.it over the past 5 years with about 24 cars chipped and it works brilliantly with PCLapCounter. In an ideal world I'd love to see a truly hybrid system where I could run slot.it and Scorpious running in the same race with a suitable RMS (SRMS or PCLapCounter) and will happily pay for a system that can do that. It sounds like you are nearly there and I hope that future development can truly push the envelope so that one day we can have a hybrid system. I would love to see some collaboration between the manufacturers of these systems to bring everything together.

Regards

Gary

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
So any news on the prototypes yet Rick
question.gif
would be great to see these being put through there paces on the new Scorpius track
thumbsup.gif
Last tweak next week, then I will order a second round of prototypes. Covid and work has slowed things up but back on track soon. :)

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
I have to say I'm genuinely excited about this gen 2 chip. I have both slot.it and Scorpious gen 1. Admittedly I only have one Scorpious controller and dongle but I do have a bunch of scalex f1 cars chipped with Scorpious as these are THE ONLY chips that fit. I bought my chips second-hand 'new' and love the fact I can at last drive these cars. I have held off any further purchase of Scorpious simply because of the gen 2 and right now there is no incentive for me purchase Scorpious RMS until I see how the land lies with gen 2.

Just to clarify Rick, will the Gen 2 chips work with my existing controller? You may have mentioned this already but there are so many pages in this thread I may have missed that.

I've already made a significant investment in slot.it over the past 5 years with about 24 cars chipped and it works brilliantly with PCLapCounter. In an ideal world I'd love to see a truly hybrid system where I could run slot.it and Scorpious running in the same race with a suitable RMS (SRMS or PCLapCounter) and will happily pay for a system that can do that. It sounds like you are nearly there and I hope that future development can truly push the envelope so that one day we can have a hybrid system. I would love to see some collaboration between the manufacturers of these systems to bring everything together.

Regards
Gary
Hi Gary.
Thanks for your enthusiastic post.

Yes everything new is backwards compatible. That's because the 2006 kit is still valid in every way. Our intention is to put the new nRF 52832 onto every product and then tweak every product with new features, example full SSD and Carrera compatibility on the Lane Brain so those users can finally have anti collision, live flipper, best line, better ghost cars and unique ID. But it will always be backward compatible.

And yes it would be cool to see a Scorpius chipped NSR versus an Oxigen chipped Slot.it car in a sanctioned race. I wonder if Maurizio is up for the challenge???

I haven't approached Slot.it about sharing protocols yet. I guess the worst that can happen is I get a no :)

And not just these two brands. It would be good if multiple brands could compete, ie SCX users now they have they have also gone the Scorpius DC/Wireless route. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Don't worry mate " I'm a tough old dog" PMSL.

Five on one and they still can't land a single punch. It's hilarious. And they keep coming back for more which is even more funny.

I think the problem is not nationality but shock and awe that the new architecture standard was designed by a landscape contractor not a teacher, err I mean electronics engineer. Sorry.
And negativity is what feeds the Scorpian to innovate even more sting:)

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Ok some cool progress today.
We need to fit even more hardware. But am I willing to go past the current 26x13 board size? Not on your life.
But I dont wish to add another layer and a heap of vias to achieve it.
So how?
I looked at the way the board attaches to the DPR hatch. Currently we have 3 mounting holes that accept three 3D printed pins that would be domed over using a soldering iron. Each area is approx 3.3 x 3.3 or 10sq mm x three or 30sq.mm total or about 9% of the total board. Quite a bit.
So we have redesigned so that 4 clips grab the board from the side. Ad mentioned this gives us a HUGE extra 30sq.mm to work with!

John drew this up and printed it in one day and here it is.
Resolution is not important as its only a test mule but hey it works a treat and it means a decoder can be replaced easier and quicker with no need for a soldering iron to melt the pins into a dome shape.
Next step is to add the additional hardware. More pics soon.

Rick

Attachments

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Scorpians 😊
Heres a 3D grab of the new hatch. The new quick release chip by Scorpius.
Now change chips on the hatch in seconds, no tools required. Just apply gentle sideways pressure and the chip pops out. To reinstall simply click into place.

Of course power in/out has a JST connector and whats even better is all the accessories like lights and hall sensor will come with mini JST plugs. The whole idea that in a competition environment every thing must be plug and play and as quick as possible.

This version needs the corners radiused and a few tweaks required. This is just a quick proof of concept exercise. It clicked straight in first go.

A second version where it sits lower on the hatch, touching intact, for installs with my much room to play with.
In this case you would remove the Scorpius phototransistor and SSD and Carrera LEDs to enable lowering it.
Doing this the Scorpius Gen II will take up only 2.2 mm height wise on the chassis floor or motor pod.😊

The extra space generated by removing our 3 mounting holes will be going towards extra hardware which Ill reveal next week, so with this little bit of weekend fun we killed 2 birds with one stone.
3 actually. 😊

Rick

Rick

Attachments

161 - 180 of 189 Posts