SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Prof I T
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is the Scorpius digital multi protocol vertical test track which is currently being assembled Downunder.

It will test chip performance on motor drive performance and reliability as well as lap counting and lane changing performance, k limits and reliability.

In the picture anti clockwise we have:

1. Carrera Control Unit.

2.Scorpius Lane Brain. This will drive the LEDs and receive lap count and lane change commands. A program we have puts a timestamp into an excel file and produces a bell tone on every successful command, so you can hear it while you multitask. Switch between lap count and lane change using a quick wireless reconfiguration.

3. Scalextric C7042 Advanced powerbase.

4. Scalextric Arc Pro powerbase.

5.Scalextric C7030 powerbase.

6.Ninco digital powerbase.
Dead strips to be added to track.

7. SCX Advance. Empty. Trying to easily source V2.0 compatible Bluetooth lapcounter.

8. Oxigen. Empty, Magnet to be installed under track for start finish line. 2 magnets to be installed for pit stops. Oxigen lane change chip to be installed for lane change testing.

This is in preparation for current and upcoming projects.

The loop makes for efficient large scale testing, generally in runs of 1,000 or 10,000 laps.

All lane change testing will be done by routing solenoid driver wires to an LED or possibly a modified Scorpius car chip back to the test look program.

Testing of lapcounting on the various systems will use proprietary powerbase or dongle and accompanying 3rd software or app if chosen/applicable.

Test loop hardware to be powered by a lab quality 20V, 30A or 15V, 30A regulated and variable power supply in order to test at various voltages/speeds. Connecting leads for each powerbase except SCX have been made up so far.

Simple banks of switches will be used to isolate powerbases as required.
First test will be the F1 chip which arrives late next week.
And very soon the Scalextric braid plate chip.

Automotive design Automotive lighting Electricity Gadget Machine

Plant Automotive tire Tree Road surface Asphalt

Attachments

Reactions: ryk4racing

novice jazz player &
7. SCX Advance. Empty. Trying to easily source V2.0 compatible Bluetooth lapcounter.
My understanding is that the current version of the SCX-A Bluetooth unit will remain compatible with the new SCX-A v2.0 throttles and SCX-A v2.0 decoders when they enter market later in the year. I believe the only issue with the Bluetooth units is that the very first units in market had slightly low sensor gain. They worked fine with all cars except the rally cars that use the type-B decoder. This decoder sits a bit higher on the underpan leading to a slightly lower ID signal strength. That issue and the correction mod are all documented on the SCX-Advance thread of sfi.

Hope that helps.

c

novice jazz player &
I have been thinking about the pros and cons of the above vertical loop versus horizontal drag strip testing at speed.

And a question has occurred to me for which I dont have a good answer...

For vehicles travelling on a 1m radius loop at 10m/s it looks like the centripetal force on the car is ten times the static force known as vehicle weight.

This means, for cars travelling at 10m/s the force exerted by the road upwards onto the car is ten times its weight. In simple terms this is like increasing downforce by a factor of ten for a vehicle on a flat road.

So the question... when downforce is increased by a factor of ten what happens to the following:

1/ road clearance?
2/ braid pick-up noise?
3/ expected levels of vehicle buffeting?

Maybe these effects are insignificant? Im not sure?

I guess I could check 1 by putting a 1kg weight onto a 100g slotcar and seeing what happens.

Please dont anyone treat my question as being in any way critical - my interest here is understanding the pros and cons of testing using a loop versus testing using a high speed drag strip... I suspect both have merits but in different ways.

c

Premium Member
I second Dr-C questions....but also think it looks like a sheer piece of modern art, love it.

Its like the slotrace version of the 2001 Space Odessy Monolith
thumbsup.gif

Bring on Also Sprach Zarathustra

With kind regards
Tamar

novice jazz player &
2021 - Space Odyssey.

c

Registered
One big advantage of the loop is the ability to test 1,000's of s/f line crossings in a fairly short period of time. Doing 1,000's of runs one at a time on a drag strip would take a long time, and leave a lot more chances of variability- braid getting "mussed up", etc. It would take a fairly long drag strip to reach the same speed as well.

ParrotGod
I guess having more stress on the car and other components is good especially in regards of braid noise.

novice jazz player &
I guess having more stress on the car and other components is good especially in regards of braid noise.
What I am keep to understand... if downforce increases ten fold does that...

1/ create more pick-up noise making the high speed vertical loop a more challenging environment for testing decoders or

2: create improved electrical connection between car and track and therefore better connectivity between car and track making the test environment less demanding.

I would be interested to learn more in this area from our gurus... please?

By the way I 100% agree the loop is awesome and beautifully crafted :thumbsup:

c

Registered
I think the loop provides an excellent method of stress testing the speed and consistency of the components communication capabilities. For this one is probably better off eliminating other variables such as connectivity as much as possible.

Testing on "real" tracks will also be necessary to check the components ability to handle variables in connectivity, etc such as you describe. This would be better done on tracks, as opposed to a drag strip, since a track will introduce more variables.

Greg Gaub
I believe posts on other forums, including FB groups, indicated that the loop is just one of the devices Rick is planning to use while testing the product(s). I think one of the others was a drag strip of some kind. His large routed track is a given, and I expect he'll test on his converted Scalextric Sport Digital based Scorpius Wireless track, assuming that still exists, not to mention other tracks he's able to visit easily.

novice jazz player &
I agree with all of above. My question is more to do with how the loop will be used to test SSD components at high speed. Clearly SSD uses track packets to control the car so I am wondering whether the loop, as constructed by Rick and his team, will provide a more challenging environment for pick-up noise or whether the increased downforce will create less pick-up noise and/or less pick-up voltage spikes. I guess the answer might be braid-type dependent? Either way as discussed above the loop looks an excellent tool for system testing and... I too agree it is pure art and inspirational as per the above 2001 references.

c

Slot King
Once the car is going, the loop can be used on its side wall of death style.

Provided you have collision avoidance, it can also be used by multiple cars at once.

I agree with Tamar, it looks the nuts.

Joel

Slot King
Thinking about it, the loop wins hands down.

There is no acceleration/decelaration zone, the car maintains a constant speed around the loop, therefore multiple sensors can be used, greatly increasing the data collected per lap.

As mentioned above, it can be left to run for hours without manual intervention making bulk testing an easy task.

I am still a little puzzled as to what we are trying to achieve. Is it to find out how fast a car can go across a lane/lapcount sensor without mis-registering?

This late in the life of digital systems, is this still an issue?

Joel

novice jazz player &
Hi Joel, I think the idea is that new designs still need robust testing even though the digital systems into which they play have been extensively tested over the years including characterisation of any performance limits. But new decoder designs still need thorough testing before market launch. The loop looks great for that purpose. And great for testing developments in cross-system compatibility too.

c

1 - 15 of 15 Posts