SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Im pleased to announce worlds first ever competition quality digital slot car system out of the box. Plug and play, just install batteries and race.

NO MODIFICATIONS NEEDED

This particular set in the photo includes:

8 Ninco R2 45 degree curves
6 Ninco straights, one fitted with power leads.
4 Ninco XLC lane changers complete with Scorpius Lane Brains fitted.
1 x Scorpius Lap Counter
2 x NSR cars fitted with Scorpius car decoders
2 X Scorpius Wireless controllers
1 x Scorpius RMS

Picture is for display purposes only, some used track pieces are used in the poicture, but of course the set will be all new parts

Power supply optional.

Just add more straights and curves as required.

Price: $1699 + postage and insurance.

Of course other variations can be quoted on and supplied.

Love Scorpius but short on time? This may suit you.

Rick

·
Greg Gaub
14,986 Posts
Really? I can see the appeal of ready made lane changers and lap counter track pieces, but a whole "turnkey" set? Are there really many people who 1) know Scorpius exists and 2) don't already have cars and track? I would imagine a similar set but without the cars (just chips) and extra track (just lane changers and lap counter) would make more sense. Also, where's the Sport version? ;-)

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You dont like it Greg?

My reason is a) Ive had requests
SSD, Carrera, Ninco and SCX all offer box sets, so tell me, why not Scorpius?

Would suit anyone time poor or lacking in hobby skills.

I once had no track, no cars, I guess like yourself?

Of course its not for everyone. But for someone who has Sport track and its past its used date (mines just about had it) this may appeal regardless.

Sport? Its not a competition track system, only Ninco and Carrera cut it in that depatment. And a good system needs good conductivity, something Sport cant offer. Also Im thinking warranty claims, any system is only as good as its weakest link. You can build a 3000m Ninco track (a 2500 m one was done a few years back) with no power taps, with Sport I can only achieve 3 metres after the track ages a bit.

Ninco offer a Ninco to Sport adapter, so SSD LCs can be used with Ninco track. SSD LCs are superior in design.

I will also offer the box set in Carrera for the same price with warranty.

To make Scalextric Sport users happy I will offer it also in Sport with the understanding it is not for serious competition use, and no warranty on the actual track system, only the electronics.

My 33m track has every joint hardwired, power taps every 3M, copper tape, so you cant really do more, and still have issues on a weekly basis. You just cant compare a Chinese track system with a European made one.

Hope this explains the situation.

Rick

·
Greg Gaub
14,986 Posts
You got me a "requests". Just surprises me a little. Another reminder that many more people read forums than post or even sign up for membership.

So, you've hardwired every join on your track, power tapped every 3 meters, put copper tape down on the whole thing, and STILL have problems? That truly amazes me. What kind of problems are you getting? Less "get up and go" I can understand without all that stuff (as my track is), but with all that, I'm wondering what else is going on. Ninco takes the prize for unassisted continuity, to be sure. I realize that's a bit off topic, so a private answer is fine.

As for competition, well... I compete on sport, classic, and wood, none of which have more than a couple power taps, and they all work fine. Maybe standards in the states are lower than down under and in Europe.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Greg.
After owning all 3 track systems for some years and doing thousands of hours testing I stand by my statements. Continuity issues with Scaley track is a fact. Without INOX and copper tape Sport is pretty much a "toy" track system. Made in China, the surface tarnishes within months if not used. This does not happen with Carrera or Ninco. The problem is the joints, not tight enough, and the chromium finish is made for a price. I guess I have to uyse Scaley cars instead of NSR in the box set too?

As you can see Im going for a top shelf combination. Scorpius, NSR, Ninco. For me its about reliability. I know I cant promise that with Sport.

My local slot shop had a Ninco commercial track, no power taps, 26 m long, 8 lanes, was down for 12 years, never an issue on amy lane ever in 12 years.

Laziness is a fact of human nature, and no one likes to waste money, so we tend not to do things that cost time and money for no good reason, so you can believe me on the status of my Sport track. If you dont I can live with that

The only issue with my Sports track now is the copper tape, after some the conductivity between rail and tape goes. Using a knife to score the tape is a weekly task for me, albeit just one or two places.

Right now on my track one straight before the SF line is dead. I could show you a Youtube video with multimeter if you like. My point is with a dead straight before the SF line, lapcounting cannot be guaranteed 100%. So the customer says "Hey Rick, your lapcounter is carp, can I have a refund" then Im concerned. Hope you can see my pioint.

With the "request" my local slot shop said his preference is to sell a complete system, not just parts, to suit the type of customers he has and he has many years of retail experience. I can pass his telephone number to you if you PM me. One thing Ive concentrated on with Scorpius from the start is market research. To market a product no one wants would be a costly error.

So do I sell the Scaley track complete with Inox, wire taps and copper tape or.......? Get my drift?

Rick

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 8 Jul 2011, 19:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You got me a "requests". Just surprises me a little. Another reminder that many more people read forums than post or even sign up for membership.

So, you've hardwired every join on your track, power tapped every 3 meters, put copper tape down on the whole thing, and STILL have problems? That truly amazes me. What kind of problems are you getting? Less "get up and go" I can understand without all that stuff (as my track is), but with all that, I'm wondering what else is going on. Ninco takes the prize for unassisted continuity, to be sure. I realize that's a bit off topic, so a private answer is fine.

As for competition, well... I compete on sport, classic, and wood, none of which have more than a couple power taps, and they all work fine. Maybe standards in the states are lower than down under and in Europe.

I am sorry Mr Flippant, but I have been following Rick for a while now, I even went to Australia to check out his system, and I have to say that you are nagging an awful lot about a lot of things regarding this system.

We are in this matter innovators, call it beta testers, around this idea that the most important thing is the user experience, not all the missed laps, or the power failures that makes your $50 car speed right off at the straight.

So pretty please, with sugar on top.

Give the guy some kudos, and contribute by being constructive in your critiscism, or dont´t!

with kind regards

minus

·
Registered
916 Posts
Rick,

What would be the total cost of these components?

4 Ninco XLC lane changers complete with Scorpius Lane Brains fitted.
1 x Scorpius Lap Counter
2 x Scorpius car decoders
2 X Scorpius Wireless controllers
1 x Scorpius RMS

Best regards,
Brian

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Brian,

4 x Ninco XLC lane changers complete with Scorpius Lane Brains fitted. 4 x $195
1 x Scorpius Lap Counter including track piece 1x$150
2 x Scorpius car decoders 2 x $40
2 X Scorpius Wireless controllers 2 x $180
1 x Scorpius RMS 1 x $99

Total $1469 less 10% for the package deal + tax. Or $1322+tax.

Rick

·
Greg Gaub
14,986 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 8 Jul 2011, 15:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The only issue with my Sports track now is the copper tape, after some the conductivity between rail and tape goes. Using a knife to score the tape is a weekly task for me, albeit just one or two places.

Rick,

It wasn't that I didn't believe you, it was that I wanted to know HOW it wasn't working. You have now cleared that up, and I appreciate that. You have also given me one more reason never to put copper on my sport track. Thanks!

Since it's been suggested that I do so, I can't ignore the suggestion, nor can I simply say it as though not prompted. I do, however, feel that you HAVE done a great job with Scorpius.

--

As unbelievable as it may seem to some, I HAVE actually used an early version of the controller, chip, and dongle. Even then it worked very well, and I know it has only gotten better. I would have gladly shared my experience with everyone, but there was a glitch that prevented optimum functionality. Although I could easily have used that as an opportunity to tear Scorpius down, I didn't say anything because I KNEW that Rick was already changing the design to eliminate this problem and, again, improve the system. I worked with Rick closely to try to resolve the issue, but it was determined that the new design would be much better anyway. I've also been given the opportunity to see the latest version and show it off to local slot racers, which I plan to do with vigor. At the same time, I don't pull punches. If I see something I feel could be better, I say so. That includes Scalextric, oXigen, Scorpius, and the rest. While I don't doubt that I've stumbled now and again, I try my best to ask real questions and get real answers, or to suggest changes that I feel would make a system better. I guarantee everyone that I've NEVER posted a "Scorpius sucks!" message, or anything of the kind. I don't want to tear the system down, I want it to improve, just like I want all the others to improve. Honestly, if it weren't for Rick breaking away to show the digital slot world what COULD be done, well... it probably wouldn't be done. I have the great fortune of coming into this hobby just before Scorpius came out, just as all the systems were maturing and improving (with some glaring exceptions (SCX and Ninco
)). If I had started back in 2004-ish when all this digital stuff was beginning and having to suffer through all the growing pains that Rick did, I might very well have given up on it, as so many others have.

Thanks,
-Greg

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Greg,
I look forward to your report on the Scorpius WAM prototype

And please dont pull any punches. Im not phased because it is only a prototype. Upgrade coming later today.

Camber and I used it last night for 4-5 hours, mine had no glitch all night, Cambers car once went full speed. So its close. Upgrade may well nail it.

So...back on topic.
Anyone for a Box Set?

Rick

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Great idea Rick! Good luck I can see this being a winner. I think on SF we can get too wrapped up in all the hyper-DIY-enthusiasts it is easy to lose sight of the fact most people just want to buy a set and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Seconded :)
I personally think it's key for maintaining a position on any market, to be able to offer a fully working system working flawlessly right out of the box - even if the product is in the high end of the hobby market where diy rules. Think of exclusive brands like Slotfire, they seem to get on well.
There's quite a market of people out there who have the money and the urge to race slots - but not the time, patience or diy skills.

Merc

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sure will as soon as I get time to update the webshop.

Cheers
Rick

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thirded!!

I would suggest that the followoing should cover most people's desires

- box set - people who buy this are buying a complete solution
- - if I get this from Rick, it must be brilliant is their thought process

- pre-built pieces of track and controllers and cars by themselves
- - I want the functionality to add to my existing system without knowing how to put it to together

- individual components
- - I love the functionailty and I know what I am doing and am happy doing it myself to my exact requirements

·
Registered
2 Posts
I already have a Ninco track, but have no issues with getting a few extra track pieces, if it saves me time and headache. Although a "Ninco upgrade kit" that included only the modified parts and a couple controllers and a couple of car chips, if it was sufficiently cheaper would be even better.

When will these plug and play kits be available?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts