SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Maybe it is fun and informative to do a little report on my findings considering scorpius ghost cars.
I had posted this on the scorpius group on facebook earlier, but of course Slotforum is the reference platform for this.

Ok after some trouble how-to make a pace car recording (solved) I followed the manual by the book and made two pace car recordings: one for each lane, begin and end of a number of laps in the same lane so the RMS could make a loop out of that.
Finally I got two good recordings, one for each lane. I named them pace001left.json and pace001right.json.

Then I set up 8 new drivers in the expert driver setup menu: I set them up as "dumb" pace cars, constant speed, safe coasting speed 32 up to 40% throttle (trying to even out the differences in speed between the cars), finally named them ghost 2 up to 9.
After that I set up a test race in the expert race setup menu: 5 minutes, single heat, no fuel or whatever.
Finally I changed my track setup in the expert track setup menu to 9 cars on track.
After all that done, I added 9 drivers in the drivers list: on ID 1 me, one human driver and 8 ghost drivers.
This is what happened:

That was fun!!!! Hilarious. 9 cars on track, mayhem. Many deslots because of my poor calibration of the ghost cars, too many speed differences. But also: the RMS worked fine. No errors in lapcounting, no lag in lapcounting, no random lane changes, no system crash or whatever. It all seemed to work fine. I tried to drive through the traffic but boy, filming a report and holding a controller and an iphone to record and finding a free finger to change lanes means bad filming and bad driving, heh
smile.png

My car responded normally, crisp and clear response on the controller and as it seemed correct and error free registration of laps and lane changes. 9 cars, hooray!

After that I tried something different: with the use of my two pace car recordings I set up the 8 ghost car drivers as smart cars: 4 in the left lane loaded with the corresponding pace001left json file, and 4 cars in the right lane loaded with the pace001right json file.
Hit the start button, and this is what happened:

Wow! 8 smart cars finding their way through traffic! the cars overtook eachother, changed lanes and changed back to the preferred lane. When driving through this traffic, I noticed smart cars changing lanes in reaction to my track position. It's fascinating this.
Driving and filming was difficult so most of the time I only filmed and watched the spectacle. It is truly fun to see 8 ghost cars doing their race, the RMS counting the laps, and me watching it unfold. I can see a new kind of entertainment here: setting up 15 ghost cars, starting the race, sit back and have a beer, and place bets on which smart ghostcar is going to win, heh
smile.png

Also here the same issue with speed differences between cars. I need to calibrate that better, or make the cars more reliable by placing magnets in the car, or try different pace car recordings with (I think) less speed. All in all great fun and again: the RMS seemed to handle it all without problems. No system crash, no lag, no cars going crazy, it all seemed to work fine.
I could notice a clear lag between start race and actually setting off: as if the computer needed time to load the recording file into each smart car before all could drive off in the same instance.
At one point the RMS called out a yellow flag, I think because at that moment it was a supercrash, too many cars had deslotted at one point. I did not touch a button but the yellow flag came out.
So much fun!!!

Ok last video with only 3 ghost cars, to see if I could catch some more insight on how the smart cars behave on track during a race.

Enjoy it as I did!

Merc

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
Ha. That's awesome. Few points:

1) Yes, currently at least the SRMS loads the recordings at the start of the first heat. With that many it could easily take time to do. I'll need to fix that eventually.

2) No clue why that yellow flag came out. Unless you are running a CnL race which I don't think you are, you would have had to do it. If you didn't which it doesn't seem you did, I'd need to see logs to figure out what happened.

3) Magnet cars are definitely more forgiving as they don't drift as much. But no matter what the car type, you have to take into account that it may not be exactly where it should be and so if you push it too hard around a tight turn or what not it could easily come off.

4) If you haven't already, try doing a recording where you make all the lane changes and non-lane changes at every LB. Do two such recordings, one faster than the other making sure both don't deslot the cars. Then set the cars to smart pace cars and run it. In theory the faster cars will go around the slower cars rather than riding right on top of them

Love it!

-Dave

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Hello Dave,

Yes it's a fascinating thing to watch. I am developing an addiction here :)
1. The loading time depends on the number of smart cars i noticed. The more ghosts, the longer time between red and green light. It's no problem i think, it's more a matter of having a fast computer running - atm i have a modest Dell Win10 64bit Pentium [email protected] with 4GB RAM. I checked task manager once when the SRMS was in operation and it showed it needs all processor power and ram available.
2. I think in retrospectieve i accidentily hit the space bar with my knee when franticly trying to put crashed cars back on track.
3. Yes so i learned! I had to set the smart car's safe speed to 30% throttle in the ghost driver setup, those R1 turns are tight.
4. I will try that out. I figured for a good benchmark lap i need to pass every LB and not skip any (so the system knows better where the car is) and start and finish the loop in the same lane (so the loop closes). You can really see (and hear) the cars accelerating in the speedy banked curve zone and slow down in the twisty section.

Nota bene: i tried 15 smart cars and 1 human driver but the SRMS lost connectivity with the dongle after some time. The SRMS keept running fine (no freeze, time kept counting and program could be closed normally) but car data did not come in anymore. I had to reboot the pc to restore the dongle in working order. I suspect too much data to handle, the dongle (or computer processor) seems to be the bottleneck. I'll try 10, 11 etc smart cars to see at which point the connectivity collapses.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
16 cars total is 1600 packets (17bit) of car data per second.
Do the sums.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Yup car data from car decoder is always sending even if stationary.

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
I think its much worse for dynamic throttle. I have to send data over to the car, and to do so I have to send a reasonable amount of overhead with it. I've optimized it pretty much as best I can but I think the data rate is a lot higher.

In the end though, it's not so much data that with reasonably well written code that the PC side shouldn't be able to handle it. The lag at the start is because I load your pace car files when the heat goes green. These files are pretty nasty and my parser isn't the best. So there's a lot of room for me to speed it up, but even if I don't speed it up, I could load it before the green flag so even if there is lag, it won't be in such a bad spot.

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
Yeah for sure. I had no idea there was a lag when you started the race. Now that I've heard it, it makes perfect sense and I should be able to fix it.

·
Greg Gaub
14,988 Posts
They're still there, but the forum has changed the way inline videos work. I quoted the original post, and put in the new, correct links for videos.

Oh yeah, you have to change the editor to plain text mode to see the hidden BB code. That's the icon at the very top left of the toolbar of the message editor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts